Author Topic: Streetlight Fight in Rome: Golden Glow vs. Harsh LED - The New York Times  (Read 1601 times)
Prismatic

View Posts
View Gallery

Manuel

slprismatic
Streetlight Fight in Rome: Golden Glow vs. Harsh LED - The New York Times « on: April 11, 2017, 07:53:11 AM » Author: Prismatic
Interesting article about LED streelights and residents fighting against them...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/27/world/europe/rome-streetlights-led-lights.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1

Prismatic@YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/slprismatic

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Streetlight Fight in Rome: Golden Glow vs. Harsh LED - The New York Times « Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 08:30:44 AM » Author: dor123
I think my father told me about this, during my way to my father home, but he tought that this was happened at Paris, France. Anyway, I searched for a hebrew article about this subject, and not found.
Anyway, this looks like a low level content, as the really non-exists energy saving from the LED, being mentioned non-stop.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 08:38:27 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlight Fight in Rome: Golden Glow vs. Harsh LED - The New York Times « Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 08:42:23 AM » Author: Ash
What i find most disturbing is, that the energy savings and environmental advantage of LED over SON is taken for a fact. While the reality is, that new SON luminaires would offer same energy savings while providing good lighting, and be by far better environmentally than the LED ewaste
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlight Fight in Rome: Golden Glow vs. Harsh LED - The New York Times « Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 03:10:49 PM » Author: sol
Not meaning to stir the pot, but was Rome lit with mercury lamps before the existing sodium ones ? If they used incandescent before the HPS, they have a point. If they used mercury, then not so much.

Nevertheless, I would still strongly vote for HPS to stay, but the fact is I am not Roman and if there were a plebiscite, I would not have the right to vote...
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Streetlight Fight in Rome: Golden Glow vs. Harsh LED - The New York Times « Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 07:27:00 PM » Author: Lumex120
Look at this Facebook group I found in the comments:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/155084901640186/?ref=bookmarks

Unofficial LG Discord

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Streetlight Fight in Rome: Golden Glow vs. Harsh LED - The New York Times « Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 09:47:18 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I assume by Sodium, they mean SOX (not HPS)
I personally like the pure-white color of some LEDs (in the right area). But I also love SOX, and MV.
but I would also want the old historic lights to stay...both the fixtures themselves, and their SOX lamps/gear.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Streetlight Fight in Rome: Golden Glow vs. Harsh LED - The New York Times « Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 09:51:04 PM » Author: Lumex120
I assume by Sodium, they mean SOX (not HPS)
I personally like the pure-white color of some LEDs (in the right area). But I also love SOX, and MV.
but I would also want the old historic lights to stay...both the fixtures themselves, and their SOX lamps/gear.
They look like HPS to me. (Notice how colors are showing up under them, LPS has literally no CRI and makes all colors a dingy shade of yellow). To be honest, I prefer HPS in lots of situations like this. It just looks so warm and inviting. Also, really sucks that the Coliseum lights got replaced with LEDs.  :( It looked so cool with the HPS.

Unofficial LG Discord

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Streetlight Fight in Rome: Golden Glow vs. Harsh LED - The New York Times « Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 12:05:45 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
@Lumex120:
The link Prismatic posted doesn't work for me .. said something about not being logged in.
So I google'd it.  The pics I saw the lights looked more yellow like SOX (but what I didn't pay attention to is if there was some minor bit of color rendering like you mentioned that would indicate HPS)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlight Fight in Rome: Golden Glow vs. Harsh LED - The New York Times « Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 01:32:56 AM » Author: tolivac
The LED vs HPS-the scenes in Rome do look BETTER under the HPS lights.Their LED replacements are dim adn cold.Same with here in Greenville-a section of Greenville BVD is lit with new LED lights another section with HPS-the HPS is MUCH better--esp in rain,rare snow aand sleet.The LED conversions should be scrapped until LED can mature more.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Streetlight Fight in Rome: Golden Glow vs. Harsh LED - The New York Times « Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 01:58:14 AM » Author: Ash
I have been there as kid 16 years ago. It is all SON-T. The suspended from the wire lanterns in the article are the same ones i recall seeing, in addition they have some wall floods on various buildings which too are all SOM

Virtually none of them are directional or cutoff, so that is where a new SON lantern could potentially save a lot of energy. But it may be that they are benefitting from the light spill (that it is responsible for the "warm atmosphere" described
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies