Author Topic: Safe ballast and light  (Read 4378 times)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Safe ballast and light « on: June 02, 2016, 03:05:41 PM » Author: wattMaster
If I want to run my 250 Watt MH lamp on this, I would have to switch to the 250 Watt dim setting, right?
It just says "400 Watt", But it talks about 250 Watt settings.
Is it also safe to run my MH bulb unprotected in our fixture?
What's the risk of explosions?

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Safe ballast and light « Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 03:29:02 PM » Author: Lumex120
If I want to run my 250 Watt MH lamp on this, I would have to switch to the 250 Watt dim setting, right?
That will run 250w halides just fine. However, if it is going to be in an open fixture, use a protected lamp. Are you growing something you shouldn't be?  :P

Unofficial LG Discord

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Safe ballast and light « Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 03:39:41 PM » Author: wattMaster
That will run 250w halides just fine. However, if it is going to be in an open fixture, use a protected lamp. Are you growing something you shouldn't be?  :P
No, Just some tomatoes, and a couple other plants I can't remember.
We were afraid to use the superlumen mode because we thought it needed special lamps.
Would a big sheet of plastic be fine to contain explosions?
I'm just testing my 250 Watt MH lamp for just a couple of minutes.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 03:43:45 PM by wattMaster » Logged

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Safe ballast and light « Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 03:49:33 PM » Author: Lumex120
As long as the plastic is at least 3mm thick, it will be fine.

Unofficial LG Discord

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Safe ballast and light « Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 03:50:55 PM » Author: wattMaster
As long as the plastic is at least 3mm thick, it will be fine.
And where do I get such plastic?

BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Safe ballast and light « Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 05:13:53 PM » Author: BlueHalide
That Lumatek ballast operates the lamp on high frequency which isn't ideal and may actually increase the risk of rupture compared to 60hz operation. Also the "superlumens" setting drives the lamp at about what you'd get from a 400w magnetic ballast, which is completely fine. An electronic ballast such as this one operates a 400w lamp at exactly 400w, a magnetic ballast will always overdrive slightly. Also, regarding the lens, if the fixture/reflector includes the lens then thats all you need. If not, ide rather find an "O" rated lamp than trying to fabricate a lens from sheet plastic. Most styrene and acrylics will yellow and become brittle over time. Polycarbonate or UV cured acrylic is what you'd need.
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Safe ballast and light « Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 05:43:31 PM » Author: wattMaster
That Lumatek ballast operates the lamp on high frequency which isn't ideal and may actually increase the risk of rupture compared to 60hz operation. Also the "superlumens" setting drives the lamp at about what you'd get from a 400w magnetic ballast, which is completely fine. An electronic ballast such as this one operates a 400w lamp at exactly 400w, a magnetic ballast will always overdrive slightly. Also, regarding the lens, if the fixture/reflector includes the lens then thats all you need. If not, ide rather find an "O" rated lamp than trying to fabricate a lens from sheet plastic. Most styrene and acrylics will yellow and become brittle over time. Polycarbonate or UV cured acrylic is what you'd need.
I'm not trying to make a lens, Just a temporary safety cover as insurance if it happens to explode.
So should I use the superlumen setting for testing my lamp?
And I'm not concerned about UV degrading plastic, It's just going to be used for a couple of minutes.
Are you talking about a lens for a permanent fixture, Or is it just another word for safety cover,
And I'm just thinking of the camera type lens?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 05:45:20 PM by wattMaster » Logged

BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Safe ballast and light « Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 11:13:38 PM » Author: BlueHalide
Unless the lamp is at or beyond EOL the chances of it exploding are so incredibly small its basically nil. You have better chances of a well used mercury lamp exploding than a new or lightly used MH. The "superlumens" setting only applies to the rated 400w lamp and will drive at about 415w-420w, about what a magnetic ballast does. DO NOT operate a 250w lamp on anything other than the 250w setting. I honestly wouldnt run the 400w lamp on the 250w setting even though the ballast will do it, as it will only be running at partial discharge and therefore a greenish color. Also the 400w lamp cannot be dimmed to 250w while the lamp is operating, when you switch to 250w the lamp will extinguish (ive tried it). It has to be started on the 250w setting.
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Safe ballast and light « Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 10:44:47 AM » Author: wattMaster
Unless the lamp is at or beyond EOL the chances of it exploding are so incredibly small its basically nil. You have better chances of a well used mercury lamp exploding than a new or lightly used MH. The "superlumens" setting only applies to the rated 400w lamp and will drive at about 415w-420w, about what a magnetic ballast does. DO NOT operate a 250w lamp on anything other than the 250w setting. I honestly wouldnt run the 400w lamp on the 250w setting even though the ballast will do it, as it will only be running at partial discharge and therefore a greenish color. Also the 400w lamp cannot be dimmed to 250w while the lamp is operating, when you switch to 250w the lamp will extinguish (ive tried it). It has to be started on the 250w setting.
There's also a 250 watt superlumen mode.

BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Safe ballast and light « Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 12:12:23 PM » Author: BlueHalide
Oh, then you have a different model than I have, mine is an older 1st generation of the dimmable version (250w, 400w, Superlumens (400 only))
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Safe ballast and light « Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 12:23:55 PM » Author: wattMaster
And could it be used as a regular ballast for a regular fixture?

BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Safe ballast and light « Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 12:42:26 AM » Author: BlueHalide
yes it can, however the largest pitfall to high wattage electronic HID ballasts is their sensitivity to heat, making them unusable for any application where the ballast is mounted inside a non-ventilated fixture with the lamp, such as any waterproof outdoor flood like a parking lot fixture. This is why electronic ballasts over 150w are basically non-existent in the commercial and industrial lighting markets, but are super popular in the hobby markets like horticulture where every fixture is remote-ballasted.

So in short, only use this Lumatek in a remote application, and if it is enclosed in the same fixture as the lamp, the fixture should be fan cooled.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Safe ballast and light « Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 02:42:41 AM » Author: Medved
yes it can, however the largest pitfall to high wattage electronic HID ballasts is their sensitivity to heat, making them unusable for any application where the ballast is mounted inside a non-ventilated fixture with the lamp, such as any waterproof outdoor flood like a parking lot fixture. This is why electronic ballasts over 150w are basically non-existent in the commercial and industrial lighting markets, but are super popular in the hobby markets like horticulture where every fixture is remote-ballasted.

So in short, only use this Lumatek in a remote application, and if it is enclosed in the same fixture as the lamp, the fixture should be fan cooled.

If it is a high frequency, then you should never put it remote (with wires longer than about 50cm or so).
With others the limit is usually about 2m (limited by the ignitor).
Generally always observe the maximum cable length limit for the lamp <-> ballast connection.

No more selfballasted c***

BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Safe ballast and light « Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 01:07:58 PM » Author: BlueHalide
Medved, this ballast's only recommended application is remote, and the manufacturer also lists ballast-to-lamp distance of 20'. Electronic ballasts start the lamp a little differently than magnetic pulse start, im not sure of the specifics on how it works, but ive read its equivalent to a 6.5Kv ignition pulse, but without that high of a voltage, I think the HF may play a role.

Also Ive seen large installations of these Lumatek ballasts where the cable distance between lamp was greater than 20' and pulse start lamps still fired up reliably. I understand the HF operation and long distance of cable between ballast and lamp isn't a good idea, but these are clearly designed for remote operation.
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Safe ballast and light « Reply #14 on: June 04, 2016, 01:29:23 PM » Author: wattMaster
An alternate solution for a flood light outside would to have the ballast inside (Where it is Air Conditioned, I hope) and the MH bulb outside.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies