Author Topic: New Brink's PSMH Yardblasters: A Disaster Waiting to Happen?  (Read 7195 times)
Aveoguy22
Re: New Brink's PSMH Yardblasters: A Disaster Waiting to Happen? « Reply #30 on: August 12, 2016, 02:00:50 PM » Author: Aveoguy22
i have a fixture like this.  mine came with a "blast shield" to catch fragments that snaps onto the bottom of the bucket.  it has small holes to allow for air circulation but is there to catch a lamp explosion should it occur.  you can look in my gallery and find it if you want.  in the pics i have posted now it is not installed but now that i have it in operation i have the cover installed.  ill have to get a picture sometime soon
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 02:02:35 PM by Aveoguy22 » Logged
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: New Brink's PSMH Yardblasters: A Disaster Waiting to Happen? « Reply #31 on: August 12, 2016, 02:13:08 PM » Author: Ash
Filters get clogged, fans wear mechanically. And the whole point of dragging around the "bucket" design is to keep things incredibly cheap, so all the advanced cooling options miss the point
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: New Brink's PSMH Yardblasters: A Disaster Waiting to Happen? « Reply #32 on: August 12, 2016, 05:09:33 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Well also, forced air cooling STILL requires the lantern to be `open` at the top and bottom so air can flow in the first place.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 05:11:13 PM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: New Brink's PSMH Yardblasters: A Disaster Waiting to Happen? « Reply #33 on: August 12, 2016, 05:19:45 PM » Author: wattMaster
Filters get clogged, fans wear mechanically. And the whole point of dragging around the "bucket" design is to keep things incredibly cheap, so all the advanced cooling options miss the point
This would be for fancy LED streetlights, maybe. Radiators can provide a lot of cooling, and because you just need to connect pipes to the LEDs, you can make a lot more designs. And radiators are reliable and relatively easy to clean. You could also make a variable speed driver for the radiator fan.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Aveoguy22
Re: New Brink's PSMH Yardblasters: A Disaster Waiting to Happen? « Reply #34 on: August 12, 2016, 08:07:45 PM » Author: Aveoguy22
This would be for fancy LED streetlights, maybe. Radiators can provide a lot of cooling, and because you just need to connect pipes to the LEDs, you can make a lot more designs. And radiators are reliable and relatively easy to clean. You could also make a variable speed driver for the radiator fan.

i believe the fan idea has been tried for some LED recessed can lights.  i cant remember who on here had pictures of them but there was a small fan to draw air over the heatsink and discharge it into the area above the drop ceiling.
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: New Brink's PSMH Yardblasters: A Disaster Waiting to Happen? « Reply #35 on: August 12, 2016, 08:19:30 PM » Author: wattMaster

i believe the fan idea has been tried for some LED recessed can lights.  i cant remember who on here had pictures of them but there was a small fan to draw air over the heatsink and discharge it into the area above the drop ceiling.
I had an idea just like that, but I gave up on it because every attic/space-above-the-ceiling in Florida is crazy hot and humid.

Aveoguy22
Re: New Brink's PSMH Yardblasters: A Disaster Waiting to Happen? « Reply #36 on: August 12, 2016, 09:10:19 PM » Author: Aveoguy22

I had an idea just like that, but I gave up on it because every attic/space-above-the-ceiling in Florida is crazy hot and humid.

it seems to me that it would be a bad idea because the fans were just your normal brushless DC fans.  they would wear out far short of the "expected" lifespan of the fixture.  unless they had a control unit with a microcontroller watching the temp constantly and only turning it on when needed.  just 1 more part to quit on you.  the radiator idea might seem like a good idea at first but when you figure in all the plumbing, pump, radiator and the circuit to controll all this it seems pointless and that you might better go with CFL or normal LED fittings.  then there would be repair/ maintenance of the system and the cost to run it and fix etc. 
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: New Brink's PSMH Yardblasters: A Disaster Waiting to Happen? « Reply #37 on: August 12, 2016, 09:13:51 PM » Author: Ash
Attic spaces hot and humid. And dirty, which applies to everywhere in the world. The fans and heatsinks will get clogged before anything else fails

It was me with the pic of the cans :
http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2438&pos=14&pid=75662
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: New Brink's PSMH Yardblasters: A Disaster Waiting to Happen? « Reply #38 on: August 12, 2016, 09:14:04 PM » Author: wattMaster
A radiator would be ideal for stadium lights, where you could need a lot of cooling.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies