Author Topic: We left the EU, what now for the lighting world? Political talk, enter with care  (Read 7441 times)
Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

We left the EU, what now for the lighting world? Political talk, enter with care « on: June 24, 2016, 03:24:14 PM » Author: Flurofan96
I guess we can scrap/take down those silly LED streetlights and get our own proper lighting back

Flurofan96

[KEEP THIS THREAD RELATED TO LIGHTING]
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 05:50:33 PM by RCM442 » Logged

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: We left the EU, what now for the lighting world? « Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 03:30:54 PM » Author: wattMaster
I hope the lighting improves there, and the UK left the EU already? I thought it would happen in a few months.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: We left the EU, what now for the lighting world? « Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 03:48:39 PM » Author: FGS
Naw. I think it's easier to wait until they EOL. People are saying they won't last a year so what's a year gonna hurt? ;) LOL! ::)

Hopefully they're replaced with CMHs when they do actually EOL.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: We left the EU, what now for the lighting world? « Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 03:53:56 PM » Author: Medved
I donĀ§t think the LED spreading is related to the EU in any way. So I would not expect anything in that direction where the industry is heading will change.
The LED's just offer too many benefits (high efficacy together with rather good color rendering and promising long intrinsic lifetime - the "intrinsic" means when the manufacturing, installation and operating conditions are perfect, that is still far from reality).
But regarding the LED quality problems: All other technologies had to pass such stage as well. And what relates to the cheepeese production style: Don't forget, that is what made Edison (invented, how to make the electric lighting very cheap; and forced through legal bans of a competitive technologies - see "War of currents"), Ford (how to make the cars cheap so nearly everyone may afford one) and similar mans so well known and rich. So nothing have changed in that matter either... Only people compare mature things, with decades of experience with new technologies, where the experience still has to be gathered (you can never get that except once the mass production starts; only then the weaknesses start to show up)

No more selfballasted c***

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: We left the EU, what now for the lighting world? « Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 03:54:08 PM » Author: Flurofan96
It will take a month or approx 7 years depending how things go but I'm uncertain

CMH seems to be the only last hope in the lighting world + induction as a backup

I believe its the EU enforcing all those LED upgrades, if we can get a bit of control over our lighting in hopefully sooner than 7 years

Hopefully when we realise something is not good with the LED lighting we can go back to CMH or even HPS!

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: We left the EU, what now for the lighting world? « Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 04:00:09 PM » Author: wattMaster
It will take a month or approx 7 years depending how things go but I'm uncertain

CMH seems to be the only last hope in the lighting world + induction as a backup

I believe its the EU enforcing all those LED upgrades, if we can get a bit of control over our lighting in hopefully sooner than 7 years

Hopefully when we realise something is not good with the LED lighting we can go back to CMH or even HPS!
Most of Florida is still HPS, and it should be that way for you too.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: We left the EU, what now for the lighting world? « Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 05:45:59 PM » Author: Ash
I dont expect LEDs being taken down or the attitude towards them changing, but you _might_ get away from some of the lamp/ballast bans

As for the LEDs themselfes : This light source have nothing to do in general lighting applications

The technology allows for a low cost, low maintenance, poor optical and spectral performance, and incredibly high efficacy light source - So good "void filler", accent, no maintenance service area light, or similar applications

The industry made into an overpriced, high maintenance (unreliable designs - and it have NOTHING to do with maturity of the technology, only with overlooking the obvious by poor design and cost cutting), still same poor optical and spectral performance, light source that they oush into everywhere it does not belong, as their profit from it is epic compared to any other technology, and screw poor lighting, more damage to environment, and so on
FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: We left the EU, what now for the lighting world? « Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 06:09:58 PM » Author: FGS
I dont expect LEDs being taken down or the attitude towards them changing, but you _might_ get away from some of the lamp/ballast bans

As for the LEDs themselfes : This light source have nothing to do in general lighting applications

The technology allows for a low cost, low maintenance, poor optical and spectral performance, and incredibly high efficacy light source - So good "void filler", accent, no maintenance service area light, or similar applications

The industry made into an overpriced, high maintenance (unreliable designs - and it have NOTHING to do with maturity of the technology, only with overlooking the obvious by poor design and cost cutting), still same poor optical and spectral performance, light source that they oush into everywhere it does not belong, as their profit from it is epic compared to any other technology, and screw poor lighting, more damage to environment, and so on

If the spectral of LEDs are so poor. How come they tricked an autistic guy? Most autistic people are more sensitive to such differences of spectra between LEDs and incandescent. He thought a PAR-38 LED bulb was incandescent! That's saying a lot about LEDs and how far they have improved since the dinky 5mm white LEDs of yesteryear.

Optically, I've seen good flat LEDs with properly aimed optics. Light go exactly where needed as designed without causing your so called laser in the eye. Oh, sure there are badly aimed LEDs out there here and there. That's usually on the installer who's supposed to level the fixture properly.

As for profits, I can agree with you. LED fixtures are more expensive than traditional ones. That's due to complexity of the young and maturing tech. The costs will go down in the years ahead as they did with CFLs and retrofit LEDs. When LEDs started they had a price tag of $30+ for a 60w e... I mean 800 lumens bulb and those weren't exactly omnidirectional! Now I've seen nearly omnidirectional LED bulbs for less than $8 or $5 in some places. (Utility rebates.)

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: We left the EU, what now for the lighting world? « Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 06:13:56 PM » Author: wattMaster

If the spectral of LEDs are so poor. How come they tricked an autistic guy? Most autistic people are more sensitive to such differences of spectra between LEDs and incandescent. He thought a PAR-38 LED bulb was incandescent! That's saying a lot about LEDs and how far they have improved since the dinky 5mm white LEDs of yesteryear.

Optically, I've seen good flat LEDs with properly aimed optics. Light go exactly where needed as designed without causing your so called laser in the eye. Oh, sure there are badly aimed LEDs out there here and there. That's usually on the installer who's supposed to level the fixture properly.

As for profits, I can agree with you. LED fixtures are more expensive than traditional ones. That's due to complexity of the young and maturing tech. The costs will go down in the years ahead as they did with CFLs and retrofit LEDs. When LEDs started they had a price tag of $30+ for a 60w e... I mean 800 lumens bulb and those weren't exactly omnidirectional! Now I've seen nearly omnidirectional LED bulbs for less than $8 or $5 in some places. (Utility rebates.)
I can tell the difference between LED and Incandescent, but a lot of new LED bulbs come really close, and it's harder to tell.

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Re: We left the EU, what now for the lighting world? « Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 06:15:17 PM » Author: RCM442
I'm the Autistic guy the PAR LED tricked! I had to take a second look at it when I walked by it!

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: We left the EU, what now for the lighting world? « Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 06:18:26 PM » Author: wattMaster
I also find that the reflector LEDs are closer to incandescent/halogen than A shape, which is odd because they are using the same LED chips, I think.

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Re: We left the EU, what now for the lighting world? « Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 06:19:37 PM » Author: RCM442
I also find that the reflector LEDs are closer to incandescent/halogen than A shape, which is odd because they are using the same LED chips, I think.
Not entirely sure on that one! Also, where I'm from in Florida (St. Augustine) it's all MH no HPS at all!

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: We left the EU, what now for the lighting world? « Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 06:20:48 PM » Author: wattMaster
Not entirely sure on that one! Also, where I'm from in Florida (St. Augustine) it's all MH no HPS at all!
Wow, where I am in Florida, HPS is everywhere with no MH!

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: We left the EU, what now for the lighting world? « Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 06:52:48 PM » Author: Flurofan96
I went on a FGW (GWR) train which had good looking fluoresant fixtures but today they were dimmed down and I could see from the plastic diffuser (which is totally opal) and I could see the LED dies!!! But when brightened at full power they look like daylight fluoros!!!!!!

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: We left the EU, what now for the lighting world? « Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 06:54:45 PM » Author: wattMaster
I went on a FGW (GWR) train which had good looking fluoresant fixtures but today they were dimmed down and I could see from the plastic diffuser (which is totally opal) and I could see the LED dies!!! But when brightened at full power they look like daylight fluoros!!!!!!
LED strips are convincing, but they don't have the same vibes as Fluorescent.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies