Author Topic: Full Spectrum Lighting?  (Read 8428 times)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Full Spectrum Lighting? « on: June 28, 2016, 02:31:26 PM » Author: wattMaster
What is the truth behind "Full Spectrum"? I know that it is just marketing, but is there more to it?
What do you think of "Full Spectrum LED"?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 02:34:35 PM by wattMaster » Logged

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Full Spectrum Lighting « Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 02:40:45 PM » Author: dor123
This is a marketing BS, common in the US, for enhanced color lamps, aka daylight incandescent lamp or higher CRI fluorescent lamp or CFL, or fluorescent lamps with an optimised spectrum for plant growing.
There is no such a thing "Full Spectrum" (Even the solar spectrum isn't considered "Full Spectrum", as its 5500K blackbody radiation is absorbed by the elements on the chromosphere, what is known as Fraunhofer lines)

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Full Spectrum Lighting « Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 02:46:17 PM » Author: wattMaster
This is a marketing BS, common in the US, for enhanced color lamps, aka daylight incandescent lamp or higher CRI fluorescent lamp or CFL, or fluorescent lamps with an optimised spectrum for plant growing.
There is no such a thing "Full Spectrum" (Even the solar spectrum isn't considered "Full Spectrum", as its 5500K blackbody radiation is absorbed by the elements on the chromosphere, what is known as Fraunhofer lines)
It seems like this has a reasonably full spectrum.
But it's not truly "full spectrum".

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Full Spectrum Lighting? « Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 04:17:55 PM » Author: Medved
Well, someone claim, the mild UV exposure is necessary for a good health, mainly for D-vitamine production (can not be taken otherwise without side effects) and maybe for the other things as well. The fact is, the human specie evolved to live outdoors, so some of the mechanisms may rely on the direct, unfiltered daylight exposure.
The "full spectrum" lamps are advertised to cover that UV range as well. But because I've seen them offered just by some rather obscure companies, I have some doubts about how well is the UV part with their products under control.
And definitely, the LED's can not do that (if you start from blue, you have no UV at all; if you start from the longwave end of the UVA, you still lack the shorter wave end of the UVA and the part of UVB).

But once you spend at least a hour or so outdoors on the natural daylight, it should cover all the needs.

No more selfballasted c***

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Full Spectrum Lighting? « Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 05:51:47 PM » Author: wattMaster
Well, someone claim, the mild UV exposure is necessary for a good health, mainly for D-vitamine production (can not be taken otherwise without side effects) and maybe for the other things as well. The fact is, the human specie evolved to live outdoors, so some of the mechanisms may rely on the direct, unfiltered daylight exposure.
The "full spectrum" lamps are advertised to cover that UV range as well. But because I've seen them offered just by some rather obscure companies, I have some doubts about how well is the UV part with their products under control.
And definitely, the LED's can not do that (if you start from blue, you have no UV at all; if you start from the longwave end of the UVA, you still lack the shorter wave end of the UVA and the part of UVB).

But once you spend at least a hour or so outdoors on the natural daylight, it should cover all the needs.
Indeed, but what about places like Maximum Security Prisons?

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Full Spectrum Lighting? « Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 04:51:02 PM » Author: Ash
I'd think that such high security place are capable of taking the inmates for a walk in the sunlight without loosening on security. Even when "outside" they would be behind a couple fences with several guards and cameras watching everything

Or maybe they simply dont care (and i guess there are many other concerns to health of inmates in such place, more significant than deficiency of UV)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Full Spectrum Lighting? « Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 04:51:56 PM » Author: wattMaster
Why not use reptile UV tubes?
With Maximum Security, I'm talking about the worst of the worst, no windows, no outside, just some dingy 840 tubes.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Full Spectrum Lighting? « Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 02:14:57 AM » Author: Medved
Why not use reptile UV tubes?
These are quite harsh. The problem with the reptiles is, the lack of UV is a way greater health issue than an eventual overdose of some component. With humans, as far as the knowledge goes, it is the opposite:  The damaging effects of an overdose were proven to be of worse concernt than eventually the slight lack of the UV (assuming most of the people spent at least some time outdoors)

With Maximum Security, I'm talking about the worst of the worst, no windows, no outside, just some dingy 840 tubes.

I think even there there are other problems with way more impact to be solved.

No more selfballasted c***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Full Spectrum Lighting? « Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 07:22:02 AM » Author: Ash
Even worst of the worst inmates, what you expect them to do when they are cuffed, taken out maybe one at a time, and outnumbered by armed guards watching them up close from all directions ? Didnt know inmates got superpowers..

And if they dont care for such detail in the inmates health, then be sure that there are worse problems than the UV
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Full Spectrum Lighting? « Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 02:02:47 PM » Author: wattMaster
Even worst of the worst inmates, what you expect them to do when they are cuffed, taken out maybe one at a time, and outnumbered by armed guards watching them up close from all directions ? Didnt know inmates got superpowers..

And if they dont care for such detail in the inmates health, then be sure that there are worse problems than the UV
I agree, but I think a little boosted UV would help, maybe the inmates are not scheduled for enough outdoor time.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Full Spectrum Lighting? « Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 04:45:27 AM » Author: tolivac
"Superpower" inmate-there is a concern about inmates using weights and other strength training equipment-they can overpower guards or use the weights as weapons.Guess not related to the light issue.Just worth a mention.
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Full Spectrum Lighting? « Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 07:18:50 AM » Author: wattMaster
"Superpower" inmate-there is a concern about inmates using weights and other strength training equipment-they can overpower guards or use the weights as weapons.Guess not related to the light issue.Just worth a mention.
But not if the weights are attached to equipment.

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Full Spectrum Lighting? « Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 12:38:23 AM » Author: tolivac
Yes,the prisons went to the weight machines-so no more free weights.The other problem as mentioned before-the increased strength can be a weapon.Some prisons are considering discontinuing the use of weights and strength training and machines altogether.
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Full Spectrum Lighting? « Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 08:36:00 AM » Author: wattMaster
Yes,the prisons went to the weight machines-so no more free weights.The other problem as mentioned before-the increased strength can be a weapon.Some prisons are considering discontinuing the use of weights and strength training and machines altogether.
Crazy!  :o

Cavannus

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Full Spectrum Lighting? « Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 07:54:08 PM » Author: Cavannus
Some "full spectrum" fluorescent lamp have a low CRI and are BS, as written above. They "just" emit in the deep red and blue, but the spectrum still look horrible.

However I bought a Soraa led bulb a few years ago, which has a violet chip under the special phosphor, and the difference is clearly visible compared to a standard 2700K led.
I can't tell the difference between this led and a halogen bulb; the blue and the red colours look great, very bright and "saturated" (i.e. not greyish).

I also have full-spectrum Philips Natural Sunshine tubes (F15 and F20 tubes with a high 92 CRI): despite the 5000K tint, the reds and the browns look very deep, the overall colour is close to natural lighting and very pleasant. I was amazed when I tried them for the first time (and I'm an incandescent light lover!), although I expected poor light/BS.
My girlfriend use these tubes to paint illuminated letters, IMO this is the best light to work with.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 12:40:56 PM by Cavannus » Logged
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies