Author Topic: Redneck ballast rig  (Read 1708 times)
xelareverse

View Posts
View Gallery

Redneck ballast rig « on: July 05, 2016, 03:18:39 AM » Author: xelareverse
How would I rig up a multitap HID ballast to run one of the tapped voltages?
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Redneck ballast rig « Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 07:47:23 AM » Author: wattMaster
There should be a "common" cable, I would connect that to neutral.
Then choose your desired voltage and find the wire for that voltage, and connect that to hot.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 02:50:31 PM by wattMaster » Logged

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

xelareverse

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Redneck ballast rig « Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 08:44:45 AM » Author: xelareverse
These should be a "common" cable, I would connect that to neutral.
Then choose your desired voltage and find the wire for that voltage, and connect that to hot.

Thanks
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Redneck ballast rig « Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 08:52:54 AM » Author: wattMaster
Don't forget about general AC safety practices.

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: Redneck ballast rig « Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 01:27:40 PM » Author: Solanaceae
Just don't overload or short the primary. The coils will het up almost instantly and then be dead.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Redneck ballast rig « Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 04:36:56 AM » Author: Medved
Just don't overload or short the primary. The coils will het up almost instantly and then be dead.

Better use a slow blow fuse on the primary corresponding to the ballast wattage rating. If you overload it, most likely the fuse will blow first before anything bad happen to the ballast.
Or other (or an additional) option is to use a reversible thermal cut out, thermally coupled to the winding (that would be the more difficult part; important is the winding, not the core, as with heavier overload the winding heats up much quicker, so it has time to respond)

No more selfballasted c***

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Redneck ballast rig « Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 02:50:07 PM » Author: wattMaster
And add a GFCI too.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies