Author Topic: Special HPS lamp that was common at Qiryat Ata, during the beginning of the 2000  (Read 1271 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Special HPS lamp that was common at Qiryat Ata, during the beginning of the 2000 « on: July 17, 2016, 08:18:28 AM » Author: dor123
There is a specific elliptical diffused (SON-E) 250W HPS lamp, that was common in AEG Koffer 250 lanterns in Qiryat Ata, after I moved to my hostel at 2006, but is now declining unfourtunately (Only two lamps left, one stopped working without cycling before).
The special features of the lamp compared to regular SON-Es was:
1. At start-up, takes some moments to strike, and when striking, it have a brighter initial color than the rest HPS lamps, and run-ups to sodium color much faster than rest HPS lamps. It also reach to full brightness faster. Its final color is the standard color of a regular SON-E.
2. It retains its original color (Same color as regular SON-E) and brightness until EOL and never redding out.
3. It never cycles at EOL, but simply stops working like MVs and most MH lamps.
Which HPS lamp it can be?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Special HPS lamp that was common at Qiryat Ata, during the beginning of the 2000 « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 08:50:36 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Sounds like a super, or Plus lamp, do you know if they were Osrams?
It could have been an NAV-E 250 SUPER, they are 20% brighter than the standard lamps with 31,750 lumens to the standard 28,000 lumens of a normal NAV.

Depending on what the Koffers ignitor was, super plus lamps need a higher starting voltage to fire the arc through the super`s higher gas pressure.

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Special HPS lamp that was common at Qiryat Ata, during the beginning of the 2000 « Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 11:19:16 AM » Author: Medved
MV's stop working? That is not how I know the MV's. What was here was the MV's just loosing brightness. If there was really a not working MV, in 90% there was fault in the fixture (fuse, contact, bad ballast; frequently due to broken fixture body, so the water leaked in)

Regarding the unusual cycling-free EOL: If these new lamps required an installation of new ignitors, it may well be the new ignitors were already of the non-cycling types (give up after the ignition time out expires, so after few cycles), so then these lamps remain just OFF.

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Special HPS lamp that was common at Qiryat Ata, during the beginning of the 2000 « Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 01:59:38 PM » Author: dor123
Regarding the unusual cycling-free EOL: If these new lamps required an installation of new ignitors, it may well be the new ignitors were already of the non-cycling types (give up after the ignition time out expires, so after few cycles), so then these lamps remain just OFF.
All Koffer 150 lanterns have simple superimposed ignitor. At EOL, they don't working at all, from the moment the lighting turning on, similar to the unsaturated vapor HPS lamps.
Sounds like a super, or Plus lamp, do you know if they were Osrams?
It could have been an NAV-E 250 SUPER, they are 20% brighter than the standard lamps with 31,750 lumens to the standard 28,000 lumens of a normal NAV.

Depending on what the Koffers ignitor was, super plus lamps need a higher starting voltage to fire the arc through the super`s higher gas pressure.
This can be an option. I captured a video of the last Koffer 150 with this lamp operating, and it shines much brighter xenon white light at turning on, and receives its sodium colour within 20 secs, while the second lantern is much dimmer and oranger colour and receives it sodium colour after 40 secs. Also, the special lamp reaches full regime within a min, while the rest after 3 mins. Looks that it can be indeed a high xenon pressure "Super" HPS lamp. As Osram is the most popular brand of lamp in Qiryat Ata, these can be indeed Osram NAV-E 250W Super 4Y.
However: This means that the lamps inside the Thron Alpha 2000 near my father home, are HG free, as they are yellower than the said lamp in Qiryat Ata, which have the colour of regular SON-E lamps.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Special HPS lamp that was common at Qiryat Ata, during the beginning of the 2000 « Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 01:31:37 AM » Author: Medved
All Koffer 150 lanterns have simple superimposed ignitor. At EOL, they don't working at all, from the moment the lighting turning on, similar to the unsaturated vapor HPS lamps.

As far as I know the noncycling lamps just turn dim white at EOL. So they are not completely OFF at all.
I don't think it is even possible to make the lamp so, it just stay OFF without causing any other problems to the lantern or so. With the unsaturated types there is just no sodium, so the buffer (Xenon?) remains the principal discharge media.
If the lamp is completely dark since powered ON, there must have been some cut out switch activated by the EOL. And the most prominent for that are the ignitors - as that is the only piece with any electronic inside...

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Special HPS lamp that was common at Qiryat Ata, during the beginning of the 2000 « Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 02:41:10 AM » Author: dor123
These lamps really gets dark at EOL as you can see in one of the pictures at this video .
These lantern have just a regular superimposed ignitor, and the lantern that its lamp failed, simply don't start. This isn't related to the ignitor.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies