Author Topic: PEX Pipe Question  (Read 1675 times)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

PEX Pipe Question « on: July 29, 2016, 09:44:48 PM » Author: wattMaster
Can you pull PEX pipe out of a fitting and put it back in? We are asking this because we are renovating our bathroom, and when we remove PEX pipe, it gets scratched, so is it safe to put it back in?

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Solanaceae

View Posts
View Gallery

All photos are brought to you by Bubby industries.

GoL Solanaceae.Keif.Fitz Keif Fitz bubby_keif
Re: PEX Pipe Question « Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 10:14:20 PM » Author: Solanaceae
I would say as long as the scratches are shallow surface abrasions it should be ok.

Me💡Irl
My LG Gallery
My GoL Gallery

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: PEX Pipe Question « Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 10:27:32 PM » Author: wattMaster
Could deburring help?

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: PEX Pipe Question « Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 03:53:58 AM » Author: Medved
What I was expecting and just have confirmed here , it is not recommended to just insert it back. You should cut the end affected by the connection and do the new connection on a fresh part of the tube.
The problems are mainly the imprints on the sealing surface. Once there are any, it won't seal anymore.

No more selfballasted c***

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: PEX Pipe Question « Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 04:19:29 PM » Author: wattMaster
What I was expecting and just have confirmed here , it is not recommended to just insert it back. You should cut the end affected by the connection and do the new connection on a fresh part of the tube.
The problems are mainly the imprints on the sealing surface. Once there are any, it won't seal anymore.

Is this for compression fitting?

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: PEX Pipe Question « Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 12:26:26 AM » Author: Medved
There are many fittings for these tubes. The compression use inner surface for sealing, the push-in outer surface.
The compression are cheaper, but need a special crimping tool.
For your case when you want to reuse older tubes I'm not sure, which would be more reliable:
The outer surface may have been contaminated or damaged as it was exposed all the time, what may compromise the push in connections.
On the other hand some staining may have deposited on the inn er tube surface from the water as it was used, what may compromise the compression types.
It really depend, in what state are the tubes, what are the possibility to clean/smoothen each of the surfaces.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: PEX Pipe Question « Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 05:43:25 PM » Author: wattMaster
There are many fittings for these tubes. The compression use inner surface for sealing, the push-in outer surface.
The compression are cheaper, but need a special crimping tool.
For your case when you want to reuse older tubes I'm not sure, which would be more reliable:
The outer surface may have been contaminated or damaged as it was exposed all the time, what may compromise the push in connections.
On the other hand some staining may have deposited on the inn er tube surface from the water as it was used, what may compromise the compression types.
It really depend, in what state are the tubes, what are the possibility to clean/smoothen each of the surfaces.

We're using Shark-Bite Push-In fittings, which need no crimping tool.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: PEX Pipe Question « Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 08:15:06 AM » Author: Medved

Then the outer surface of the tube is what matter, so at least the section inside of the fitting has to be smooth, without any kinks or indents or so.
I don't know if those fittings have any means for tube release, but even when so, if it was sitting in one position for long time, I wouldn't expect it to remain reliable connection when you remove the tube and then insert it back. We have at work something like that for a pressurized air installation and all spots, which they have not fit on the final place the first time are leaking (in case of the air it is just a bit of noise, so "temporarily" it was assumed as acceptable; well, it is whistling there already for 4'th year, but that is another story)

So when you removing the old connection, do it  carefully so you don't touch the last 1" section from the fitting with any tools, so you won't create any indents or so there (if you have to force-grap the tube by some jaws or so, do that further away from the old fitting).
Then cut the end that has been inserted in the old fitting (that is indented by the jaws and so won't seal anymore) and clean it by a cloth or so from the accumulated dirt. So now you should have about 1" of nice, smooth tube end to form the new seal.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: PEX Pipe Question « Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 09:05:29 AM » Author: wattMaster

Then the outer surface of the tube is what matter, so at least the section inside of the fitting has to be smooth, without any kinks or indents or so.
I don't know if those fittings have any means for tube release, but even when so, if it was sitting in one position for long time, I wouldn't expect it to remain reliable connection when you remove the tube and then insert it back. We have at work something like that for a pressurized air installation and all spots, which they have not fit on the final place the first time are leaking (in case of the air it is just a bit of noise, so "temporarily" it was assumed as acceptable; well, it is whistling there already for 4'th year, but that is another story)

So when you removing the old connection, do it  carefully so you don't touch the last 1" section from the fitting with any tools, so you won't create any indents or so there (if you have to force-grap the tube by some jaws or so, do that further away from the old fitting).
Then cut the end that has been inserted in the old fitting (that is indented by the jaws and so won't seal anymore) and clean it by a cloth or so from the accumulated dirt. So now you should have about 1" of nice, smooth tube end to form the new seal.

To remove it, we use this little plastic clip thing that goes around the pipe and pushes on a section of the fitting to release it.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: PEX Pipe Question « Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 04:12:05 PM » Author: Medved
To remove it, we use this little plastic clip thing that goes around the pipe and pushes on a section of the fitting to release it.

What you describe is fittings that do feature the release mechanism, so I assume except really the ends, where the tube was inserted into the fitting, the tube should remain pretty intact. So just cut off the last inch (where the indents from the fitting are) and it should work well...

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: PEX Pipe Question « Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 04:14:24 PM » Author: wattMaster

What you describe is fittings that do feature the release mechanism, so I assume except really the ends, where the tube was inserted into the fitting, the tube should remain pretty intact. So just cut off the last inch (where the indents from the fitting are) and it should work well...
Good advice, but only if the situation allows for it.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies