Author Topic: SOX Lamp Burn Possies  (Read 1226 times)
ManofHID

View Posts
View Gallery

Brightening up my life

UCDSlgm226hjPfmxVZ_KYcoA
SOX Lamp Burn Possies « on: August 06, 2016, 08:48:50 AM » Author: ManofHID
G'day Folks,

Just a quick question about SOX lamps,

I am considering using a 35W lamp in a period stye wall-mount lantern, (which I haven't got yet) and mounting it vertically with the socket on the top of the lantern, so it hangs inside.
Is there a specific burning position for these lamps? Or are they generally not fussy?

Ideas and replies are much appreciated

Cheers guys and girls
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 10:37:44 PM by ManofHID » Logged

:mv:  :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: Worshipping the Gods Of Mercury Vapour :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv:

HU112

View Posts
View Gallery

Chester

Re: SOX Lamp Burn Possies « Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 09:20:42 AM » Author: HU112
Only burn LPS lamp in base-up to horizontal position. DO NOT run these lamps base down, the molten Sodium may reach the arc tube seal and causes premature failure.

No more cheapy crappy Chinese junk, please.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: SOX Lamp Burn Possies « Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 02:29:57 PM » Author: Medved
Generally all the SOX lamps are designed for horizontal burning position (with some fed degree tolerance).
The shortest ones (for sure the 18W one, about the 35W I'm not sure) are on top of that allowed any position with the socket on the upper end.

The thing is, when the liquid sodium may flow to the socket end, where are the lead wire seals, it may destroy them. So to really prevent this, the gravity should neer pull the liquid sodium towards the socket end, so that means if it is not really horizontal, the socket must always be on the upper side.

The horizontal is the best, because the sodium will not have any tendency to flow anywhere within the tube, so stay well distributed along the lamp length.
But with the shortest lamps the diffusion is so strong, it may redistribute the evaporated gaseous sodium as well, so with these short ones the horizontal is not really a 100% must. But if the distribution has to rely only on the diffusion alung the whole tube, you will wait longer time till the lamp reaches full output (you will have to wait till the Sodium gas diffuses along the tube). Therefore if it is easy to do, it is always better to keep the lamp as close to horizontal as possible.

No more selfballasted c***

ManofHID

View Posts
View Gallery

Brightening up my life

UCDSlgm226hjPfmxVZ_KYcoA
Re: SOX Lamp Burn Possies « Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 07:59:48 PM » Author: ManofHID
Ok thanks for that, I wonder if the Phillips SOX-Plus lamps would be any better running base up, as they have small deposits of sodium evenly spaced within the arc tube

:mv:  :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: Worshipping the Gods Of Mercury Vapour :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv:

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: SOX Lamp Burn Possies « Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 09:19:24 PM » Author: icefoglights
I've posted the operating instructions for a 35 watt GEC SOX lamp here.  They have a guide for operating position.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies