Author Topic: Lizards In Bug Zapper  (Read 4927 times)
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Lizards In Bug Zapper « on: September 05, 2016, 08:47:04 PM » Author: wattMaster
My bug zapper is having some trouble, it's zapping some lizards! :o
What can I do about it? How would I repair the bug zapper if the lizard if the problem, shorting out the two zapper contacts?

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Lizards In Bug Zapper « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 09:19:04 PM » Author: Lumex120
My bug zapper is having some trouble, it's zapping some lizards! :o
What can I do about it? How would I repair the bug zapper if the lizard if the problem, shorting out the two zapper contacts?
Just remove it!  ;)

Unofficial LG Discord

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lizards In Bug Zapper « Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 09:39:21 PM » Author: wattMaster
But the problem is that the lizards are always crawling up to the bug zapper, a high tech solution would be to use a drone to lift the bug zapper off of the ground to stop them, but that's a little impractical.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 10:26:55 PM by wattMaster » Logged

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Lizards In Bug Zapper « Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 10:27:29 PM » Author: Lumex120
The batteries also last all around 20 minutes in a drone anyway. You could try putting hardware cloth around it so that the openings are large enough for bugs but not lizards.

Unofficial LG Discord

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lizards In Bug Zapper « Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 10:28:50 PM » Author: wattMaster
The batteries also last all around 20 minutes in a drone anyway. You could try putting hardware cloth around it so that the openings are large enough for bugs but not lizards.
Some of them are really tiny, so hardware cloth won't work.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lizards In Bug Zapper « Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 02:03:01 AM » Author: Medved
And where you have the zapper?
When it hangs on something from the top, I doubt the lizards will be able to go there...

No more selfballasted c***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lizards In Bug Zapper « Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 03:47:49 AM » Author: Ash
Hang it on thin steel wire instead of chains then they wont be able to go through it, but cant the lizards jump to try to land on the top of the unit ?

Also if they are small then the power cable may be another route in

I still question what is the need to use the zapper outside. Or you have the lizards inside ?
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lizards In Bug Zapper « Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 09:10:32 AM » Author: wattMaster
Well, it is used in our backyard, and it is hanging on some kind of pole for hanging plants, with a thick extension cord running to it.
The lizards are smart, as they were waiting in the non-zapping part of the bug zapper to get more bugs.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lizards In Bug Zapper « Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 10:13:08 PM » Author: wattMaster
Update: I'm now calling this a self cleaning bug zapper, because when I checked on it, it was nearly spotless. I think the ants did that. ;)

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lizards In Bug Zapper « Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 10:29:47 PM » Author: Medved
So the lizards were attracted by the free meal in the form of the dead bugs and not the bug zapper...
Well, using the zapper outdoors may have really wide consequences and most of them I see as everything but good...

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lizards In Bug Zapper « Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 10:42:03 PM » Author: wattMaster
So the lizards were attracted by the free meal in the form of the dead bugs and not the bug zapper...
Well, using the zapper outdoors may have really wide consequences and most of them I see as everything but good...
I never thought of this possibility with the bug zapper. At least we don't have to clean it as often.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lizards In Bug Zapper « Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 04:39:59 PM » Author: Medved
But I would rather try to keep the insect eating lizards alive...

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lizards In Bug Zapper « Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 05:22:58 PM » Author: Ash
Then disconnect the electric grid, leave only the lamps and lizards at work
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lizards In Bug Zapper « Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 09:13:10 PM » Author: wattMaster
Then disconnect the electric grid, leave only the lamps and lizards at work
I would need to install a high voltage switch, but that seems a little too ambitious.

nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: Lizards In Bug Zapper « Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 10:15:04 PM » Author: nicksfans
Put the switch before the transformer (unless the transformer is being used as the fluorescent ballast).

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies