Author Topic: What did you do today lighting wise?  (Read 291073 times)
Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1485 on: February 17, 2024, 01:56:29 PM » Author: Laurens
Here we go again... Same thriftshop, went back for something completely else, but did another dig through the boxes of fluorescents.

Found another Pope (so now i got 2 identical ones), and a Tungsram Warm White Deluxe color 32  (which is what i'm especially happy with). The latter was wrapped in a torn open Philips sleeve with some rubber bands and plastic bags around it. Happy i found it.

Cycling for 45 minutes with bow legs is not comfortable i'll tell you! But my motorcycle doesn't have convenient straight frame tubes to strap long glass things to...
I think i now have found all thicc fluorescents that i could conceivably find in thrift shops.

E: fired up the Tungsram. I can clearly see why the Deluxe warm white never got popular - the efficiency is very considerably lower than from the conventional WW or CW tubes. Neat part of history to have it, though. Will give it a nice place over my work bench.
The Pope tubes are in storage, waiting for the day i get a house for myself and i can build a visually pleasing luminaire for them. Original ones are either chunky industrial ones, or simply unavailable in my country.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 05:54:11 AM by Laurens » Logged
AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1486 on: February 19, 2024, 01:51:45 PM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
I have rescued an abandoned old SOX lantern mounted to the ceiling of a road overpass, originally lighting the car park access road below the bridge. It has been abandoned for many years, and needs a lot of work. But I'm glad I could rescue it! Images soon to follow on the gallery.
108CAM

View Posts
View Gallery

Diehard MV, HPS, SOX & Preheat Fluorescent Fanatic

UCG6Xojn8dNgDuN9J7_Gnj8w
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1487 on: February 22, 2024, 05:12:41 PM » Author: 108CAM
Over the past few weeks, I've been cleaning, repairing and restoring a bunch of light fixtures that I saved from an abandoned textile mill.
It's been very fun and the feeling of seeing fixtures that were once abandoned and left for dead coming back to life is amazing.
The 2 oldest fixtures will be celebrating their 50th birthday later this year and might even get the chance to run some of my vintage/rare lamps.
I've started uploading photos to my gallery if anyone is interested. More photos coming once my daily upload limit has started resetting.

Fluro starter pings combined with a 50hz ballast hum and blinking tubes is music to my ears.

Rest in Peace Electronic Lamp Manufacturers of Australia
1925-2002

Bring back the AJF Zodiacs!

Total incidents since joining LG: 17
Lamps accidently broken or smashed: 14
Ballast explosions/burnouts: 3

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1488 on: February 22, 2024, 07:53:48 PM » Author: suzukir122
I just installed GE HALARC 50w Quartz Metal Halide lamps in two of my Magnetic Metal Halide wallpacks... so now, all six of my wallpacks in my garage contain
50w GE HALARC lamps. To be more specific though, all six of them are the USA made ones, with the starting aid bottle thing below the arc tube. I'm not sure
what that's called, but it seems to be very effective. Although I'm not a fan of this: those GE QMH lamps warm up very fast. They actually warm up faster
than my 20w track Ceramic Metal Halides. Hot restrike time with these is also the fastest as well, although they sometimes have trouble starting up cold.
I'll have to make a video about that sometime soon... but...
.. of all my Metal Halide lamps in my collection so far, these ones are the brightest. My Philips CMH 50w CMH is cutting it close, but it doesn't seem as
bright as those GE's.   

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1489 on: February 24, 2024, 05:22:08 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 I'm currently building a 400w HPS M-400A . The fixture in question was previously 400w HPS but the original ballast was toast .  I'm installing a GE replacement ballast , capacitor & ignitor . I had to fab my own mounting brackets as all of the original stuff wouldn't work with the new ballast . Photo soon .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1490 on: February 26, 2024, 12:52:23 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Took down some Christmas lights (actually did some on fri & sat afternoons as well)
Put away a bunch of sets that had been taken down.
Fixed a few non-working sets too.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1491 on: February 26, 2024, 05:20:52 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
I finally got my F14T12. I bought it almost a year ago but it never arrived. Second time's the charm. This was my first F14T12 lamp. I didn't know that these were almost as small as a 10w tube. I am a little disappointed because the listing said 3500k but I got k&b which is 3000k. Would have been nice to get a new colour, but atleast I have another 3000k tube.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 01:49:12 PM by LightsAreBright27 » Logged

Holder of the rare and sacred :sfl: F10T12/BL :sfl: lamps here!
Also known as LAB27 for short.
One of the only Indian members here!
245v 50Hz

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1492 on: February 26, 2024, 12:52:02 PM » Author: Laurens
I dropped a HPL-N on the workbench in a weird cartoony way. It didn't drop very hard, but it still broke. Resulted in breaking at the base. This one's pretty worn out as you can see. Slightly deformed arc tube (bean shaped) and quite dark. It produced (when it was intact) about 30-40% of the light that a brand new one produces (measured with a lux meter).

I was already planning on opening one of them up, but not in this way. Might insert one of those tiny 10v 3w UVC lights into the bulb, after applying enough glue to prevent it from cracking all the way through.

Notice how nice and even the lighting of the work surface is, despite me hovering over it. The lighting in the lab stands out in how well it's done, even though the distance between the fluorescent luminaires and the workbench is only about 1,5 meters. You can see the reflection of a couple of the lamps in the bulb. I sure hope they miss me with their daylight panels and just shove some LED tubes in the existing luminaire when the time comes to replace the lot.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 01:09:02 PM by Laurens » Logged
RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1493 on: February 26, 2024, 11:16:00 PM » Author: RRK
Haha, you asked how to open a HPM lamp, but this time it did by itself ;)
Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1494 on: March 01, 2024, 07:30:05 AM » Author: Laurens
Received my Eye H50 clear MV lamps, and rewired the ballast box to accept 50w MV lamps.
The lamp is gorgeous. Very happy with it.
Judging by the lack of fluorescence of the phosphors from a fluorescent or the above broken HPL-N, it produces no UV-c, as expected. Sun glasses when looking straight into it are a good idea for the rest of the UV spectrum, though!

I bought three of these. Two are going to be used at work, to demonstrate mercury spectrum lines, fluorescence of the invisible UVA and B lines, and for chemistry where concentrated UVA-rich light is needed. Still working on the optical system, the current system is a Narva NF80 in a 'paint can' with a 2,5cm hole in it which works well. But considering those things went unobtanium, i stocked up on spares that'll hopefully last until the school disappears. The scientific supply houses still offer Osram quarz burners in quarz bulb, but that opens a whole can of worms with UVC exposure of the students working with it. Also those are 400 euro which is way too much for what's essentially just a broken HPL-N with some quarz tube around it.

E: I have it lighting up my room now. Although looking at your hands is totally weird, i now understand how clear MV lamps were completely accepted as high bay lighting. If you don't have any other light sources, your eyes adapt fully to he green hue of the light, and white paper or sheets actually look completely white under it.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 01:05:28 PM by Laurens » Logged
LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1495 on: March 02, 2024, 11:44:15 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
Went on a adventure exploring abandoned buildings with my friend. Found a shed with 100's of F40T12s and a couple F20T12s but all were gassed or eol. Also found a basket of incandescents but all were broken. Found some MHs and MVs. The MHs looked eol but the MVs and SBMVs looked good. Overall found some brands I never heard of.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 11:50:49 AM by LightsAreBright27 » Logged

245v 50Hz

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1496 on: March 03, 2024, 11:50:56 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
 Today's project was painting all of the metal parts for my 400w MV steber Magnuliter flood . all parts are sprayed and currently drying.  Next stop...ASSEMBLY !!

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1497 on: March 06, 2024, 05:00:01 PM » Author: suzukir122
I might sound lame for this, but I've spent the majority of the day at home monitoring my two lamp PL-L desk lamp, just below my upstairs loft.
https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=4976&pos=5&pid=240297
The PL-L lamp I pointed out in that photo is reaching EOL, with it's end pretty much fully blackened now, but it's taking forever.  :'-)
I snapped a new photo of what it looks like now, and will upload to LG soon.
As of now, I'd say that lamp has about 30 minutes of life left in it, maybe more.
Operating on one of my rare HPF magnetic Rapid Start ballasts for two 40w PL-L lamps.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1498 on: March 06, 2024, 10:56:07 PM » Author: suzukir122
My previous comment was incorrect -- that PL-L lamp, despite now having a completely blackened end, is still shining... over 5 hours
after I posted my last comment. Seems like the PL-L lamps take a very long time to burnout officially during their EOL phase.
The end blackening is pretty much complete... I'd be surprised if it blackens further. No orange flashes or swirling yet at this point.
In total, I've been sitting here waiting for it to EOL for a little over 5 hours. :lol: I think that's a record lol

Interests:

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1499 on: March 07, 2024, 09:07:37 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
Today I took some lamps from a lamp changing truck. The guy inside said that they would burn them and anyone could take them. There were dozens of 250w hps (all eol) lamps and some gear.

245v 50Hz

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies