Author Topic: What did you do today lighting wise?  (Read 256426 times)
Caroline

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1515 on: March 17, 2024, 05:59:23 PM » Author: Caroline
Yeah it is mercury vapor, it confused me because the etching says MH250/2/230V for some reason. Perhaps they reused the same glass or had the wrong etching, I know it is 250W tho, measured with the ammeter, starts at about 330 and slowly drops as the lamp warms up.

Wanted to take pics while on but I can't get it right, could use a setup to showcase stuff because taking pics of things in my desk or bed isn't cutting it ^^
Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1516 on: March 23, 2024, 10:32:08 AM » Author: Laurens
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32761452139.html

Ordered a pair of these SB "fluorescent" lamps. I wonder what i'll get when they arrive!
RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1517 on: March 23, 2024, 12:45:44 PM » Author: RRK
Tried to recreate that bygone mercury look by running a collection of LED filament lamps next to an actual 80 watt mercury lamp!
……it’s impossible!, mercury is its own unique colour that can’t be copied or even gotten close to!, it’s even more infuriating trying to capture similarities on camera!  :poof:  :lol:

I beleive this color can be kinda reproduced with a combination of non-phosphor, narrowband LEDs at the right proportion. Probably some blue + yellow + a little bit of high-efiiciency orange-red. May be a bit of 405nm violet, too, to tune-up.
Caroline

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1518 on: March 23, 2024, 05:19:12 PM » Author: Caroline
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32761452139.html

Ordered a pair of these SB "fluorescent" lamps. I wonder what i'll get when they arrive!

heh that doesn't look fluorescent at all. are they doing this to circumvent customs restrictions?

I love the unhinged review "sent me bulbs that trip my house breaker" and "I will have to talk to aliexpress about getting my money back and shutting his shop down" LOL
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1519 on: March 24, 2024, 03:48:02 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I beleive this color can be kinda reproduced with a combination of non-phosphor, narrowband LEDs at the right proportion. Probably some blue + yellow + a little bit of high-efiiciency orange-red. May be a bit of 405nm violet, too, to tune-up.
Here’s an interesting theory?, I wonder if an LED filament lamp could be made with its filaments dipped in Yttrium Vanadate, in place of what they currently use?  8;), that would recreate it pretty well?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1520 on: March 24, 2024, 04:22:57 AM » Author: LightsoftheWest
That would definitely be quite an interesting outcome! :led2:

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1521 on: March 24, 2024, 05:08:08 AM » Author: Laurens
heh that doesn't look fluorescent at all. are they doing this to circumvent customs restrictions?

I love the unhinged review "sent me bulbs that trip my house breaker" and "I will have to talk to aliexpress about getting my money back and shutting his shop down" LOL
With fluorescent, they likely mean the phosphor coating of the outer glass. China adheres to *some* regulations when it comes to producing and selling mercury containing lamps. Just look at how few CFLs you can find on Aliexpress. So they had to think up some description that didn't explicitely say 'Hiiii this is a mercury vapor lamp!'
The main thing i wonder about, is whether i'm getting actual self ballasted lamps, or just some 'standard' coated MV lamps. In the latter case, i'd be slightly annoyed. But so far, Aliexpress has been quite good with getting me my money back. Often they don't require you to bother with returning the stuff, in which case they'll be used as experiment subjects with weird ballasts like resistive ballasts.

EDIT: if the color temperature is 6000k like they claim, they may very well be just diffuse bulb, uncoated MV lamps which would actually make me very happy, self ballasted or not. I'll report back in 2 weeks or so... God i hope they arrive in one piece. But it's a true gamble. You really can't trust the specs posted on Aliexpress if it's anything more specific than the dimensions.

Here’s an interesting theory?, I wonder if an LED filament lamp could be made with its filaments dipped in Yttrium Vanadate, in place of what they currently use?  8;), that would recreate it pretty well?
This depends on the wavelength the phosphor is sensitive to. The stuff in modern coated MV lamps is not sensitive to blue or UVA light, it needs the shorter wavelengths to be energized. The phosphors used in LEDs on the other hand, run very well on visible blue or purple light.
My 1960s coated MV lamp responds to UVA light.

I think to replicate the exact color and color rendering, you need non-phosphor LEDs to directly generate the colors of the spectrum, because the lines of any MV lamp (except for those watercooled extremely high pressure ones) are very narrow.
You can get to the exact hue quite well with LEDs, but if you have wide spectrum LEDs you'll inevitably have much better color rendering than with a MV lamp.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 05:36:02 AM by Laurens » Logged
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1522 on: March 24, 2024, 08:01:46 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Yeah that makes sense?, I’m not fully up on phosphor dynamics, but I suppose it wouldn’t be as easy as I think it is?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1523 on: March 24, 2024, 02:51:50 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
Osram L18W/19 above my pc table went EoL today. It had been doing some hotspot movement in cathode few days already so it was expected. Today one of the cathodes finally burned broken and it went out. Replaced it with Polish made Philips TL-D 90 De luxe 950.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1524 on: March 25, 2024, 10:58:22 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
Today I got the specially branded lamps of mysore palace! These are not sold retail and are the lamps used only on the mysore palace. 

Holder of the rare and sacred :sfl: F10T12/BL :sfl: lamps here!
Also known as LAB27 for short.
245v 50Hz

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1525 on: March 25, 2024, 04:48:52 PM » Author: Laurens
Today i found out that low voltage (12/24v) CFLs exist: https://www.bailey.nl/nl/catalog/conventioneel/fluorescentielampen/spaarlampen/spaarlamp-laagvolt/groups/g+c+p+a+view

Found some of these in a german webshop :) but didn't buy yet.
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1526 on: March 27, 2024, 12:44:44 AM » Author: Bulbman256
Drove 400 miles/7 hours round trip to ATR lighting in Richland Missouri to pick up some goodies there. Went great and the accord handled everything well. Even got a free EYE lighting mouse pad. :mrg: Some of the stuff bought is for Lumex120 and will be aptly given to him whenever I see him again. 8)

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1527 on: March 30, 2024, 02:12:54 AM » Author: LightsAreBright27
Today I decided to make a fixture for 10w tubes. I wanted it to be unique, so I opted for a salesman style bare component fixture. Also, I coloured everything black.
Update- I put a switch on it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 03:14:10 AM by LightsAreBright27 » Logged

245v 50Hz

LightsAreBright27

View Posts
View Gallery

Cheap LED Assassin

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1528 on: March 30, 2024, 12:51:31 PM » Author: LightsAreBright27
Sorry for the double post but today, I got my mysore 160w sbmv working again. It would only work for 10 secs in upright position, but upside down at a 45° angle made it work properly.

245v 50Hz

RRK

View Posts
View Gallery
Roman

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1529 on: March 30, 2024, 01:41:15 PM » Author: RRK

Unfortunately, that won't work as vanadate DX phosphor is completely insensitive to blue light (and even not very sensitive to UVA) BUT there is an easy to obtain LED phosphor called KSF (Mn4+ activated potassium fluorosilicate) that glows narrowband clear red and may well emulate that red band of DX mercury lamp. Just a little bit longer wavelength than DX phosphor (~ +20-30nm)
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies