Author Topic: What did you do today lighting wise?  (Read 249730 times)
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #105 on: December 03, 2017, 05:19:24 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Well it will be today, because it's past midnight.

The plan is to go through the books I have and put a lot of them to go to a charity shop and start putting the lamps on the shelves instead.  8) :a_sbmv: :a_mh: :a_son-t: :a_son-e: :a_sox: :a_inc:

We never got round to sorting out the lamps, I helped Ria with her test box project.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #106 on: December 03, 2017, 05:33:29 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
We never got round to sorting out the lamps, I helped Ria with her test box project.

Ria at the moment is having fun testing all of the lamps on her new test box, and so far there have only been  one or two that haven't stood the house move a couple of years ago.

I should say all of the incandescent lamps, to distinguish from the discharge ones.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 07:22:33 PM by Miss Cuddly » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #107 on: December 03, 2017, 07:20:25 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I went out tday and scouted locations for Abandoned Lights, found a few Fluorescent fixtures waiting for new homes.. also found some Neon Indicator lamps and An Inwall TImerswitch....

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #108 on: December 03, 2017, 09:37:26 PM » Author: Rommie
You did  ;D

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #109 on: December 03, 2017, 09:47:00 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Put up some xmas lights (outside).. should be done with it now :)
But there's still some stuff to do inside .lol.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #110 on: December 04, 2017, 12:04:06 AM » Author: takemorepills
I am a small scale manufacturer of LED lighting for a West Coast manufacturer company, and today I was binning the loose LEDs with my vintage GE F40T12BLB illuminating the LED phosphor, you can easily BIN an LED this way.

Tried to put Christmas lights inside a window, but the tape wasn't cooperating, gave up.

Put some lighted Christmas wreaths outside.

Tried to come up with a plan to fix some failed under cabinet lighting.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #111 on: December 04, 2017, 12:42:18 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: takemorepills
today I was binning the loose LEDs with my vintage GE F40T12BLB illuminating the LED phosphor,
Never thought of using a BLB to sort LEDs .lol. (hadn't ever tested to see if they would glow)
I did notice they glowed under the light of an Actinic-03 though...just by chance

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #112 on: December 04, 2017, 01:59:16 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
One of the PL type CFL can lights at one of my church buildings had gone out.  Turns out the ballast was fried.  not too bad, 20 year old electronic ballast, it made it longer than most CFL ballasts do these days.  But the problem I ran into is that this is a 2-pin 18W PL-CFL, and only 2 wires going from the PL socket to the ballast.  A black wire and a white wire.  Usually they would be a Red and a Blue on modern day CFL setups.  The new ballast (Philips/Advance) accepts 2 Red, 2 Blue, and 2 Yellow and tells you how to wire it up for 2 CFL lamps or 1 CFL lamp.  But this old style PL CFL was designed to be wired differently.  I tried multiple combinations, but no luck.  Verified the lamp and the ballast were good on another fixture.  So instead of trying to track down the old style of ballast, I'm just going to put in a regular edison socket and screw in a CFL or LED 60W equivalent :)  I seem to be doing this more and more for these stupid can CFL lights.  most of the time, the ballast and wiring is inaccessible anyway and you get your hand cut up big time trying to feel around in the ceiling when you pull the can down.  Bah humbug. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #113 on: December 06, 2017, 05:41:55 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Tonight I started on a re-lamping project for one of my church buildings.  it's one of the few left that still has some T-12s.  the area I am working in is a gym with a half sized basketball court and it is still T-12 fixtures and ballasts original to when the building was built in 1989.  They have the Advance Mark-3 Ballasts. Also, there are 6 fixtures that have an emergency battery pack, 1989 era, NICAD.  Believe it or not, most still work, although very very dim.  Essentially the battery consists of 3 D sized batteries linked together.  I'm changing the battery packs out as well.  Each fixture has 4 T-12 lamps, with 2-2 lamp ballasts.  Existing tubes are 8-10 year old Sylvania Ecologic 4100k.  3 ballasts have failed which also took the lamps with them, otherwise none of the others have made it to EoL yet.  Replacing with new in the box Sylvania 3000K warm white tubes that have been taking of space in one of our sheds.  We've had them in the shed for about 4-6 years now so I want to get them used up as this building will eventually be fully converted to T8, or LED, hopefully not until the new tubes I am putting in now go EoL in 10 years.  Got 1 out of 3 sections done today, lots of dusting and cleaning to do with the fixtures as well, takes about 3-4 hours per section.   GE F40T12s were initially put in when the building was built and those extra long tubes cracked a good number of sockets/tombstones when they were relamped back around 1997/1998 so not too happy about that. 

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #114 on: December 09, 2017, 04:39:05 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Today I gutted 3 more fixtures that were running dual 35W HPS where the starters were fried.  The fixtures now run CFL & LED.  MUCH better light quality for the area they are in.  I also replaced an EoL 35W HPS bulb at the other building.  It saw some good use.  Original to the building so about 17 years old I'm guessing.  it "chromed" coated on the inside when it went EoL and arc tube is nice and fried.  

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #115 on: December 09, 2017, 10:12:35 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
That is one well fried HPS lamp .lol.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #116 on: December 09, 2017, 10:22:43 AM » Author: Ash
17 years ago the ones who installed the original lighting could use PL if they thought White light is required. Apparently, they didnt - Its just your preference
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #117 on: December 09, 2017, 02:43:25 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Been sorting out my mess of parts, gear and bulbs.... using the 400W HPS as a worklight...

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #118 on: December 09, 2017, 03:30:02 PM » Author: Ash
I rarely sort my mess... But a while back i rewired the electrics of a trailer's tail lights (the lights and the plug that connects to the car) under the ligth of 150W SON-T Super in a Gaash 9500 floodlight. Wire colors and everything
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #119 on: December 09, 2017, 03:53:40 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I rarely sort my mess... But a while back i rewired the electrics of a trailer's tail lights (the lights and the plug that connects to the car) under the ligth of 150W SON-T Super in a Gaash 9500 floodlight. Wire colors and everything
same here... but my mother said i should clean up my room a bit , and i had nothing better to do so i just sorted out that mess a bit... my dog seems to like the HPS light, so does the cat....

~Owen

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies