Author Topic: What did you do today lighting wise?  (Read 249680 times)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #375 on: October 27, 2019, 11:19:38 PM » Author: CEB1993
I replaced an LED bulb in my bedroom with one of my French-made 100 watt Sylvanias. I felt like having more light and now that the weather is turning cooler, incandescents make a small difference inside by heating the room.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #376 on: October 28, 2019, 12:27:59 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
2 little things:
* Put up 1 more set of orange lights  for Halloween
* Worked on converting a set of Christmas lights from incandescent to LED

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #377 on: October 30, 2019, 02:08:41 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
Changed out a 16 year old failed Triad T8 ballast.  Also noted now many LED signs and a few fixtures are not liking these single digit temps <evil grin> 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #378 on: October 30, 2019, 08:44:22 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: RyanF40T12
Changed out a 16 year old failed Triad T8 ballast.  Also noted now many LED signs and a few fixtures are not liking these single digit temps <evil grin> 
Quite good getting 16 years out of an electronic ballast.
LOL on the LED signs not working right in that cold (can't blame the things..I wouldn't work right when  it gets that f'ing cold)

-------------
Today's little bit of lighting related do'ings...
More work on converting Christmas lights to LED. (I now have 2 of 3 sets done (just need to add resistors when they arrive.))
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 08:47:36 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #379 on: October 31, 2019, 07:20:04 AM » Author: suzukir122
@RyanF40T12, what's up with the LED signs and fixtures? Is it the gear inside the fixtures failing, or
the actual LED's themselves? I've always thought LED's could handle the cold.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #380 on: October 31, 2019, 02:00:04 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
We took delivery of the Thorn Gamma 6 lantern today, Ria wired it up and it's now in the kitchen as our Lamp of the Day

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #381 on: October 31, 2019, 02:56:59 PM » Author: Rommie
We took delivery of the Thorn Gamma 6 lantern today, Ria wired it up and it's now in the kitchen as our Lamp of the Day
We also decided to fit a well-used lamp to it, as it's running vertically. I know the 35W lamp is specified as ok running in that position, but it still makes me uncomfortable, and I wasn't about to install the brand new Philips 35W PSG lamp that came with it, so that is now running horizontally on my test board, so we have two lamps of the day today, both SOX  ;D 8)

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #382 on: November 01, 2019, 12:47:25 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: suzukir122
@RyanF40T12, what's up with the LED signs and fixtures? Is it the gear inside the fixtures failing, or
the actual LED's themselves? I've always thought LED's could handle the cold.
Allot of those signs are made up of a bunch of smaller individual 'panels'(or boards)...look closely & you can usually tell where some have been replaced because the colors don't quite match.
I've seen something similar to those individual panels used in signs up close - some of the guys who go to the Christmas-light meetups here use them in their displays...In  this case its whats called a "P10-Panel" (10mm spacing between the LEDs). Each panel has IC chips built in for control purposes - you send data telling it which LEDs to light/what color/brightness/etc, and it does it (they also have a 'data out' to  pass data along to another panel if you're connecting multiple together  to form a larger 'sign' (basically so it all acts as if its a single unit)) (really cool stuff btw!)

I have a feeling its the 'electronics part' that doesn't like cold, not the LEDs

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #383 on: November 01, 2019, 08:18:15 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Xmaslightguy, seems as if the electronics also don't like the summer heat as well. Multiple lighting fails at several Speedways
near me. Especially the ones lighting outside the main portion of the store, where the HO lamps use to be.

Interests:
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #384 on: November 01, 2019, 12:16:10 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
We started the clean-up of the Gamma 6, at some point we will take it completely to bits and clean and repaint as much of it as we can.  :)

The ballast was very rusted, so we replaced it

Tidied up the wiring.

So here it is after that done with the photocell fitted.  :)

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #385 on: November 01, 2019, 07:58:41 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
After having had the things for eighteen months, we finally got round to putting up the little 6W T5 fittings for above our bed.  :)

Photos to follow tomorrow  :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 11:12:23 AM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #386 on: November 02, 2019, 11:10:12 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
As promised yesterday, here are a couple of pictures of the fixtures we put up:

Here is a picture of them with various members of our Cuddly Tribe.  :D

And here is a close up of the fittings.  :)

Today we've put our Gamma 6 on a shelf in the corner of the living room.

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #387 on: November 11, 2019, 10:19:35 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
In addition to receiving to our Lamp of the Day we got a box of four self-ballasted 160W mercury lamps. Photos to follow.  :)

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #388 on: November 11, 2019, 10:52:24 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Mandolin Girl, are those tungsten filament based mercury lamps? (Of course I'm willing to bet they are)
If not, I've never heard of literal self ballasted mercury lamps before. That would be AWESOME if those
existed.
My move regarding lighting... I moved one of my Sadelite desk lamps into my living room, on my 8 foot table.
It's on the side of the living room my EOL MH track light, and my EOL Par38 MH once illuminated. So my living room
is bright once again, but it's a temporary change. I'll be moving that Sadelite desk lamp back into my bedroom
with the others before the big move out of this apartment.

Interests:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #389 on: November 11, 2019, 11:01:25 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
@ suzuki:

Yes they are. Ria's taking photos just now.  :)

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies