Author Topic: What did you do today lighting wise?  (Read 249654 times)
Wireman
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #600 on: September 09, 2020, 10:07:24 PM » Author: Wireman
Finally was able to go to the ReStore for the first time. I didn't even know about this until I heard about them from my friends here at LG. Thanks all! I bought the following

-2 F15T12 cool white fluorescents, a GE and a no-name.

-2 Sylvania clear 150w incandescents with a PS30 shape and C-9 filaments.

-1 GE 40w soft white A19

I'm hoping to get back there soon they have some stage light fixtures for only $10 each and a 1950s kitchen drum light I'm thinking about getting.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #601 on: September 25, 2020, 12:39:23 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Got some sets of Christmas lights ready for putting up.
I shoulda started a few weeks ago, deff behind on getting going with it this year.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #602 on: September 27, 2020, 11:39:03 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Removed the bulbs from a couple sets of mini lights. .. .the first step to converting them to LED.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #603 on: September 29, 2020, 10:45:10 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Yesterday...
Upgraded a 2x 24" (currently has T8's, but can also use T12) aquarium light from preheat to electronic RS.

Also not directly lights, but light-related....
saved/backed-up the description/comment pages from some of my GOL streetlight gallery images.
Not sure if I'll continue going through it all (though I'd like to) as its very time-consuming.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 10:52:08 PM by xmaslightguy » Logged

suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #604 on: September 30, 2020, 12:29:50 AM » Author: suzukir122
@Xmaslightguy, what made you switch to electronic RS? Today, I've been searching for non-EOL protected electronic RS ballasts
for my Sadelite desk lamps. The magnetic ballasts for PL-L lamps have been great so far with no starting issues... but seems
as if those ballasts are under-driving my lamps. The lamps are still definitely bright though, but not as bright as when
they contained electronic ballasts. Even my Advance Centium RS electronic ballast for 40w T12's operated PL-L lamps brighter.
Also today: discovered my porch light flickering. It contains a very small 9 watt CFL from Philips. (thanks to me) I don't know the issue
there, but it's possible that it could be a wiring issue.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 12:32:49 AM by suzukir122 » Logged

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #605 on: September 30, 2020, 12:40:16 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Received and inspected a case of 10 Philips 13w PL-S lamps made in Poland.
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #606 on: September 30, 2020, 01:28:53 AM » Author: joseph_125
Went out and picked up some lamps for the illuminated street sign I installed yesterday.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL ATL
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #607 on: October 01, 2020, 12:25:03 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
@suzukir122
The F14-F20 preheat ballasts just don't work very well with modern F18T8 lamps (quite blink-happy/sometimes takes a bit before they'll actually get started). I'd thought about changing to an electronic ballast anyway because of this.
Then had one get a stuck starter last week - think that particular lamp is getting near EOL even though its had no more than 5 months use. (which is what actually what prompted me to do the change when I did). It deff got the ballast hot, you could smell thinks cooking/burning, & slightly melted the plastic top.
I'd set that particular tank up as an 'extra' in late spring or early summer...I'm getting too many fish & water-plants, and can't sell any since the local aquarium/fish club can't hold meetings/auctions due to Covid (even if they were operating, I'd most likely not be going anyway). The light seems a bit brighter now too, so nice upgrade since I'll be keeping this tank up for who knows how much longer (it'll be moving to another room soon though since it'll be in the way of doing Christmas trees...(also a chance I might eventually set up another tank below it since the stand will hold 2 & I .may. eventually need space for more fish))

I used a Motorola electronic ballast since those generally won't 'fry' a lamp at EOL. Would have also been fine with one that had EOL protection, but I don't think I have one (its possible I actually do, but the Motorola was near the top of the box of 2-lamp ballasts so I went with it)

In your case, I have a feeling that most electronic ballasts for PL-type lamps have EOL protection, just like most T5 electronis's do.
Maybe your little 9w CFL is just going EOL?

Roi_hartmann

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #608 on: October 11, 2020, 01:20:25 PM » Author: Roi_hartmann
2x9W PL lamp fixture in my living room had one lamp going EoL this weekend. I replaced both lamps with pre-ledvance Osram 840 lamps. The working one is going to be reused in some single lamp fixture later as these were connected in serie. It seems modern PL lamps only last few years in daily use. It also seems I'm running out 840 9W lamps. Should get case or two.

Aamulla aurinko, illalla AIRAM

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #609 on: October 12, 2020, 08:18:18 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Just bought a AEL 115 200w HPS cobrahead today. Happy to have a 200w HPS light for the collection.
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #610 on: October 12, 2020, 08:27:54 PM » Author: HPS_250
Just bought a AEL 115 200w HPS cobrahead today. Happy to have a 200w HPS light for the collection.

Cool! Are there any left? I’d like to get one too.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #611 on: October 12, 2020, 08:40:18 PM » Author: joseph_125
Cleaned and tested some lighting stuff I picked up recently. The three F40T12DX lamps all work unfortunately the F48T12HO striplight has a blown ballast and a missing lampholder. I have spare parts for both though.
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #612 on: October 12, 2020, 11:14:29 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40

Cool! Are there any left? I’d like to get one too.

It was the only one.
Wireman
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #613 on: October 12, 2020, 11:25:02 PM » Author: Wireman
Over the weekend I replaced 2 ballasts for the kitchen lights in my mother's condo.
Both were original and gave 45 years of faithful service.
They were both Universal Therm-O-Matics and each one was used for 1 F72 slimline lamp.
The replacements that I installed were also made by Universal.
The fixtures themselves were made by Stanley Electric.
While she was happy to have her kitchen brightly lit up again she is disappointed that we can no longer buy F72 slimlines in the daylight color anymore.
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #614 on: October 13, 2020, 12:21:34 AM » Author: HPS_250
It was the only one.

No problem, glad you were able to get one! I found another listing of AEL 115s for $30 + $28 shipping, so I’ll probably buy one of those.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies