Author Topic: What did you do today lighting wise?  (Read 249600 times)
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #990 on: October 05, 2021, 04:29:17 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
We used an old bell push as a manual starter. Ria has been waiting years to find a use for it.   :)

Now we have the proof of concept we will build a proper housing for it. (pictures to follow)  :a_fluor:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #991 on: October 05, 2021, 04:32:32 PM » Author: Rommie
I stripped the button out of an old bus that had been left abandoned and burnt out on some waste ground back in the 60's and somehow I never found a use for it until now  ;D

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #992 on: October 05, 2021, 09:47:37 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
That's why you NEVER throw things away !!  :lol:  I typically find a use for something less than a week AFTER I threw it out !!

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #993 on: October 06, 2021, 11:22:00 AM » Author: Rommie
Tell me about it, I threw away an old eprom eraser I'd not used for years, then I found out it had a Philips TUV6 lamp in it  :poof:  :'(

Took me years to find another of those lamps  :(

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #994 on: October 06, 2021, 02:24:23 PM » Author: Rommie
Received in the post an Iwasaki Eye SDX100 White SON lamp. I already had the gear for it, so now just running it up to see how it looks, we'll build a proper ballast board for it later on.  :son-t:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #995 on: October 06, 2021, 02:32:15 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
We did have to play 'hunt the ballast' before we could light it.  :wndr:

The ballast was however in the box I thought it would be in though  :bal3: 8)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 02:33:08 PM by sox35 » Logged

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #996 on: October 07, 2021, 11:00:31 PM » Author: High Intensity
Got some more lighting photos, spotted a crew installing LED faux neon on the outside of a Denny's, also spotted some linesmen installing Cooper Galleon LEDs alongside a rode near where I'm staying.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #997 on: October 08, 2021, 07:56:29 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
This is going to take most of the day. ;D

We have just taken delivery of a large box of lampses from Max in the Netherlands.  :poof:

Photos to follow.  8)

Thank you so much,   :-* :love:

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #998 on: October 08, 2021, 04:38:11 PM » Author: Bulbman256
American Max (the insane one! :lol: ) Got a couple bulbs from Tim, Thanks man. 8) :love:

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #999 on: October 08, 2021, 04:56:01 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
That is a good price.!  :poof:

Usually those lamps go for about a buck per watt, so well done.  :lps: :lps: :lps: :lps: :lps: :lps: :lps: :lps:

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

ElectroLite

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1000 on: October 08, 2021, 05:01:58 PM » Author: ElectroLite
On another note, two days ago I picked up this interesting Canadian Line Materials fixture for $10. It is called the "D.D." on the label, which I can only assume this was the Canadian version of the Line Materials "Dusk to Dawner" Fixture. Reminds me a lot of the EPAC "Suburba-Pac" used extensively in Ontario way back then. Runs a 250w MV lamp, and has a typical Sola F-Can ballast in the gear box. Overview video coming soon on this light once I edit it...

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1001 on: October 08, 2021, 05:04:48 PM » Author: Rommie
Always wanted a fixture like this, but they were never used over here. I've seen them on US eBay, but the shipping costs always kill it for me  :-\

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1002 on: October 08, 2021, 05:08:12 PM » Author: joseph_125
Oh wow! Great find. I saw these fixtures before in the wild and I was wondering what make/model they are. The Thorn Nite-Lite I have is another luminaire with a similar form factor.
ElectroLite

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1003 on: October 08, 2021, 05:13:21 PM » Author: ElectroLite
Oh wow! Great find. I saw these fixtures before in the wild and I was wondering what make/model they are. The Thorn Nite-Lite I have is another luminaire with a similar form factor.
Very interesting! Yeah, Thorn had a surprising selection over here in the 1980's. This one supplier from the states that used to sell Thorn equipment still has some datasheets up.

Google the following line EXACTLY as written, and it will list all the PDF's from that supplier: site:www.northstarlightingsite.com

The most interesting fixture I found was the Thorn SOX-LITE. I remember seeing one of these on a Microwave Tower site in Northern Ontario with a 35w SOX lamp. Probably a competitor to Norelco/Philips Sox wall-packs.
http://www.northstarlightingsite.com/CutSheets/Sox-Lite.pdf

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What did you do today lighting wise? « Reply #1004 on: October 08, 2021, 06:43:25 PM » Author: joseph_125
Interesting find. It's too bad they don't have any info on any of their older luminaires like the Nite-Liter or the Thorn Golden Arrow. That was a 35w or 55w SOX light...I saw one years ago in a physics lab. It was possibly modified into a spectral source. 
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies