Author Topic: Neat LED street/pathway diming technology  (Read 3579 times)
RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Neat LED street/pathway diming technology « on: September 16, 2016, 12:09:15 AM » Author: RyanF40T12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b_7jC0CNsE

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Neat LED street/pathway diming technology « Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 11:47:58 AM » Author: Medved
That is, where the main energy saving potential is with LED's. But compare to the video, it should brighten way sooner ahead of the traffic and change the brigntness way slower, otherwise it would be more disturbing than helping.

No more selfballasted c***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Neat LED street/pathway diming technology « Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 12:36:16 PM » Author: Ash
And how would you predict to where a car is going to turn ?
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Neat LED street/pathway diming technology « Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 01:15:06 PM » Author: Ash
This would make sense, but also increase the portion of time each luminaire is in the "high" setting. Also, how far ahead and for how long would you like to keep the luminaires in "high" ?
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Neat LED street/pathway diming technology « Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 04:14:54 PM » Author: wattMaster
Or take it to the next level with car tracking, so just a few feet/meters would be lit around what is detected.
Or use lasers and make driving into a game.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Neat LED street/pathway diming technology « Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 04:22:01 PM » Author: Ash
The lighting must be for several poles distance atleast ahead of the car
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Neat LED street/pathway diming technology « Reply #6 on: September 18, 2016, 04:24:03 PM » Author: wattMaster
Or what about not actually lighting the road itself, and just light up objects that happen to be in the road, and the curbs or side of the roadway?

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Neat LED street/pathway diming technology « Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 06:27:08 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Cool technology! :led2:

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Neat LED street/pathway diming technology « Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 09:49:40 PM » Author: lights*plus
Horrible video production - drone views make it difficult to understand what's happening.

I encountered a dimmable LED pilot project in my city in 2009. A string of about 5 6000K heads dropped to half when idle. They took nearly a minute after a vehicle passed before dimming. By 2016 all the heads were dead or destroyed by the harsh snowy/rainy/icy weather we get. Ge Evolves are now installed there.

I'm now searching for the closeups I shot.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Neat LED street/pathway diming technology « Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 05:32:32 AM » Author: Medved
Or what about not actually lighting the road itself, and just light up objects that happen to be in the road, and the curbs or side of the roadway?

That is from principle wrong.
The thing is, safe practice dictates you drive only where you did positively confirm a free path. In other words "it is not dangerous onlz if I see it being safe"
So habit of assuming "it must be safe if I dont see any danger" is really very dangerous, although wide spread.
So for that you need to illuminate mainly the safe road, to encourage the safe habit.
Attempting to illuminate only the hazards will make people ignoring everything that is not illuminated or otherwise highlighted. And that becomes quite disaster.

No more selfballasted c***

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Neat LED street/pathway diming technology « Reply #10 on: March 23, 2020, 03:55:17 PM » Author: lights*plus
Driving out into the countryside on small highways, typically, everyone is on their own since nothing's lit. Occasionally you find isolated lighting on small bridges and exits (for washouts and on-coming out-going vehicles).

The issue of"...if I see it being safe" is misplaced thinking or an assumption. I like driving with headlights on, oftentimes using high beam. It's shocking to see vehicles with no headlights in the city and suburbs. Our street lighting is so great that drivers don't even realize they have no headlights.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies