Author Topic: No-Mercury HPS lamps...  (Read 3102 times)
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
No-Mercury HPS lamps... « on: April 20, 2008, 11:50:52 AM » Author: Foxtronix
I see more ecological HPS lamps (No-Mercury lamps), but are they really ecological? What is the impact of the sodium in environment? Are they junkie  :-\ or better?  ;D

Mr. Big
Re: No-Mercury HPS lamps... « Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 02:08:00 PM » Author: Mr. Big
They indeed don't have any mercury in them, just sodium and xenon I believe as a buffer gas.

sodium turns to sodium hydroxide in the environment because it is highly reactive.
GE M-400A1

View Posts
View Gallery

My Pontiac 6000 STE

Re: No-Mercury HPS lamps... « Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 08:44:34 PM » Author: GE M-400A1
Those no mercury sodium lamps are junk especaly the ones Philips makes! The don't last long at all and they cycle a lot!! I know this because my family owns a huge printing company with 30 fixtures with 400W Philips no mercury ones!! Sylvania makes good no mercury HPS Lamps!

My Cars:

1986 Pontiac 6000 STE

1996 Chrysler Concorde LXi

1998 Chrysler Cirrus LXi

J-Frog

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: No-Mercury HPS lamps... « Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 09:24:48 AM » Author: J-Frog
Yeah current Philips HPS lamps tend to be junk although they are US made and all...

Jeremiah The Bullfrog

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: No-Mercury HPS lamps... « Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 04:55:45 PM » Author: Foxtronix
Mercury is used for maintain good electric properties of the arc and make a better start. It's normal no-mercury ones cycles faster... BTW, is the sodium hydroxide dangerous or toxic?  :-X

fran4001

View Posts
View Gallery

Fran Festa hofnerholic
Re: No-Mercury HPS lamps... « Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 05:33:01 PM » Author: fran4001
Just as a sidebar of sorts, and I'm on record here as being a lover of all things old- lamps included, I sell Philips lamps for a living and the return rate on the HPS Alto lamps has been next to nothing. Really. We sell several hundred monthly, and I haven't had a return since late October, and when I brought that lamp home, it worked. The MH are a bit more temperamental, and we do get a few a month occasionally. But the ALTO stuff really is okay, at least up here in PA!!!!
FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: No-Mercury HPS lamps... « Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 07:33:02 PM » Author: FGS
Its also known as lye.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies