Author Topic: Why so many HPI-T ripoffs around the world?  (Read 1009 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Why so many HPI-T ripoffs around the world? « on: April 25, 2021, 02:36:45 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Whenever I have been looking for HID bulbs to collect from around the world on various sites on the internet, I have actually noticed that many manufacturers have apparently stolen Philips’ HPI-T metal halide lamp design. As a result, I have seen so many Chinese ripoffs of these lamps. I wonder why so many lamp manufacturers around the world stole the design for Philips’ HPI-T metal halide lamps?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Why so many HPI-T ripoffs around the world? « Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 02:42:24 AM » Author: dor123
I've never seen ripoffs of the Philips HPI-T. I seen more ripoffs of Osram HQI-BT 400W/D and HQI-T 400W/D.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why so many HPI-T ripoffs around the world? « Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 09:25:19 AM » Author: Medved
What do you mean by "ripoff"?
Because Philips used industry standard components in the first place?

No more selfballasted c***

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Why so many HPI-T ripoffs around the world? « Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 09:34:24 AM » Author: Rommie
The term rip-off to me means deliberate infringements of a company's patented designs. If that can be proven, then there is a case. If not, then it's not technically a rip-off. But then I'm not a legal expert.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why so many HPI-T ripoffs around the world? « Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 10:13:09 AM » Author: Medved
The term rip-off to me means deliberate infringements of a company's patented designs. If that can be proven, then there is a case. If not, then it's not technically a rip-off. But then I'm not a legal expert.

The point is, there is not much plainly visible that won't be already an industry standard. The exact material composition (which is unique to a bg extend) I do not consider as "plain visible", the arctube shape is visible but no way anything new.

Plus patents (as legal tools) are in fact design publications, which offer monopoly protection only for limited time, which is already out, given how long these lamps are here. So even when copied, there is nothing bad on it.
On the contrary, patents were originally invented mainly as a way to encourage spreading and publishing the knowkedge, with the limited time monopoly benefit as an incentive.

The way how the patents are utilized today (to mainly prevent others from advancing by claiming very often just obvious ideas) is their abuse.
And when taking rigorously according to the original purpose of patents, 99% of them should have been thrown away by tye ofice from the start (for a patent to be valid, a thing should be NOVEL, NOT OBVIOUS, it should be accompanied by THOROUGH and UNDERSTANDABLE explanation). Mainly the last two (Obvious and Contain explanations) are the most abused. Mainly exploiting the impossibility of the patent office representatives to have the required expertize about all subjects they have to deal with...

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies