Author Topic: How old are the lampposts  (Read 1091 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
How old are the lampposts « on: March 24, 2018, 09:54:35 AM » Author: Cole D.
I read an old article awhile back about the streetlights in the downtown area. It said that in 1985 the original sidewalks were rebuilt. 50 of the original lampposts were found at the dump and were reinstalled. To me, I don't know if this is correct or if those lampposts were replaced, because the lampposts there now all look the same and I think there has to be over 50 of them. They have plastic acorn globes and appear to be metal halide possibly.

Plus there used to be globe fixtures with five globes inside the roundabout and these were found at the dump also, but not installed. The current roundabout lights are more modern 5 globe ones. However I did see another of these fixtures on a side street that looked antique, but not exactly like the ones I see in old photos of the roundabout.

I do know the original fixtures had white acorn globes and at some point in the 1950s they were replaced with Westinghouse clamshell fixtures on wooden poles, probably MV. Then those were around until sometime in the 1980s, probably in 1985 when the lampposts were installed.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Since all the acorn lampposts match, I think they are all reproductions. But where are the originals, or were they never really re-installed?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 09:56:14 AM by Cole D. » Logged

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: How old are the lampposts « Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 03:03:47 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
To which down town area are you referring.?

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies