Author Topic: Moving on  (Read 1862 times)
Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

Moving on « on: January 01, 2017, 08:49:43 PM » Author: Flurofan96
Hello everyone  :)

Recently I was told by my cousin that he would have to move out of his flat because of the landlord selling the flat establishment and also the minor state of his flat, apparently it has drafty wooden framed windows, a laminated floor that looks swanky but in fact its damaged as it 'warps' whenever my cousin cleans the floor and finally his flat only has old Dimplex electric radiators that are practically EOL and there is no central heating

So currently they're looking for an alternative flat or any settlement and I'm severely hoping that they'll find one within Reading or not too far from me. If they do get the confirmation that they've found a good place then sadly I'm gonna have to say bye bye to seeing the FH moonlight 16W 2D lanterns and his 28W 2D lantern in his bathroom - I like his current flat that he's got  :( :'(

Flurofan96 :)

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Moving on « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 10:26:34 PM » Author: Ash
Would landlord say no to a shiny new luminaire ?
Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Moving on « Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 07:54:34 AM » Author: Flurofan96
Ash, well I guess he would stop LEDisease for sure as when a FH moonlight in the corridor thats broken down and it was replaced for a circular 16W 2D lantern that has an electronic ballast!

I'll tell you how the FH moonlight died, one day during the summer evening whilst coming to his flat, I pressed the so called timer switch that turns on these FH moonlights in the corridors and I was greeted by a horrific LOUD buzzing noise of 50/100Hz coming from its Tridonic ballast (thats what they use) that was coming from one of these FH moonlights that could be heard quite clearly from TWO floors down all the way to the ground floor!!! The second time closer to the day in the summer the same thing occurred when I saw my cousin again and the third visit the other time during August, that FH moonlight that buzzed really loudly was completely lifeless  :( no flickering, no noise, nothing!!!

And the new lantern http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-128073 although electronic ballasted, in fact does make a 50/100Hz sound but WAY quieter than the loud tridonic ballast

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Moving on « Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 02:46:42 PM » Author: Ash
Who said LED ? Ordinary 2D lantern of a common model which you can readily buy, and is not "special" in a way like the old one

Had the buzzing light (the Magnetic one) still worked normally when it buzzed ?

Electronic ballasts contain a big Electrolitic capacitor... Which is, if you think of it, a roll of foil in a can, getting significant 100 Hz ripple current. They have perfect reason to make 100Hz buzz, and sometimes they do very noticably.. i noticed it in CFLs mostly

The 2D form factor is nice. I miss the times when it was more common here, allthough the PL versions we have are as good
hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Moving on « Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 04:16:04 PM » Author: hannahs lights
It sounds like your cousens landlord goes to the same lighting store as my sisters landlord does. She lives in Newbury and her house has 3 squere D lights installed in the 2 bathrooms and 1 toilet even though they are new wish they buzz like crazy and for the first half hour seem to rectify like mad
Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Moving on « Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 05:35:43 PM » Author: Flurofan96
Could well be, HannahLights!!! Oh and I know Newbury very well too, used to be full of SOX Philips MA lanterns and lots more as well as SON but the bad news is that LEDisease has washed out 95% of the SOX/SON lanterns  :( I discovered that in October 2015 when I visited a violin dealership for a new violin bow

Anyhow this is going to be a slow long winded process as houses are damm expensive, in fact way overpriced that most people of my age and even older are still living in their parents/relatives houses!!! My cousin is now aside his job, scouring through all property sites, trying to at least find a decent house thats either in Reading or not too far from London, as there are a LOT more job opportunities in London. Before  August 2012, he lived in 2 flats in Salisbury just after he graduated from uni there! He has NO intention to return or buy a property in Wiltshire, plus the previous 2 flats were not as nice as the one he's got in Reading right now.

Before the end of summer 2004, my cousin actually lived with us in our house and I've enjoyed his company and we had fun together with all sorts, including playing the Unreal Gold and Tournament games on his PC. I then started to feel a bit 'lonely' when he left for Salisbury uni and between 2004 to 2012 it was a heck of a journey whenever we wanted to see him, or him coming to us. I was so thrilled when he announced that he was moving into a flat in Reading!

hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Moving on « Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 02:47:34 PM » Author: hannahs lights
Hi yeah I'm not sure when LEDisease took hold there I first noticed it a couple of years ago when I visited my sister I hadn't been that way for ages she usually comes to us here in Weymouth! Ive never been able to afford a place of my own either its impossible. But maybe one day
Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Moving on « Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 07:19:50 PM » Author: Flurofan96
Hi Hannah, you'll get your own place someday  :) A lot of people are in the same boat, its worse in the South of England, basically if I was in Scotland or North England then I would be easily be able to get a small flat for a good price

However the good news is (for my perspective) is that they found a house in Reading but its not my sort of style and my cousin said that he does not have mortgage, so the good thing is that it will be a pretty long process til he builds up the cash for the mortgage, therefore gives me chance to spend the numbered days of seeing his current flat and the FH moonlight 2D 16W lanterns

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies