Author Topic: The Sky Fights Back against HPS!  (Read 15051 times)
sparkie

View Posts
View Gallery

The Sky Fights Back against HPS! « on: May 14, 2008, 06:56:29 PM » Author: sparkie
See this amazing video as the sky violently turns off a HPS street light!

Hint: Fast forward to near the end
FGS

View Posts
View Gallery

Rory Mercury!

Re: The Sky Fights Back against HPS! « Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 09:10:59 PM » Author: FGS
 :o Man that one close call for the cameraman but unfortunately can't say the same for the fixture. Finally ol' Zeus is doing something about the HPS infectation. ;D

We had a storm here in NC last week and got a big flash in the backyard and loudest thunder I ever heard in a long time. Looked to be 1/4 of a sec between flash and thunder, which is about a football field lenght away. Very close.

Why I like LEDs on top of other lighting tech?
LEDs = Upgrade 95% of the applications. (That is if you avoid eBay's LEDs).

LED brainwash? No, people uses them cuz they work well for them.

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: The Sky Fights Back against HPS! « Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 09:54:33 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
Now no wonder why New Jersey has a lot of clear mercs :-D   

This video was filmed in Brick, New Jersey by the way!

Actually the lighting struck the transformer, you can see the building power went off, and the person who filmed it mentioned it in the comments on that video, but then again great video!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Re: The Sky Fights Back against HPS! « Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 04:08:16 PM » Author: lightman64
awesome!!!

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: The Sky Fights Back against HPS! « Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 06:29:47 PM » Author: Foxtronix
I saw this video months ago... SCARY!  :o I love to film storms so it'll happen one day...

gailgrove

View Posts
View Gallery

MVs at Dusk

Re: The Sky Fights Back against HPS! « Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 01:15:06 PM » Author: gailgrove
Lets pray it was a DuraStar!

Say no to Induction & LED, HID forever!

tmcdllr

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The Sky Fights Back against HPS! « Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 05:45:09 AM » Author: tmcdllr
"Holy (...)!"...

I love that video!

Nothing like the beautiful cool white light of a coated Mercury Vapor lamp and the soothing hum of it's magnetic ballast.

chapman84
Re: The Sky Fights Back against HPS! « Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 10:21:26 PM » Author: chapman84
Lets pray it was a DuraStar!

Sorry won't be a Durastar.....as it's in Brick, NJ, and NJ doesn't have the durastars.....well I bet there's an icetron there now!
chapman84
Re: The Sky Fights Back against HPS! « Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 07:59:44 PM » Author: chapman84
Wow! That was scary! :o
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: The Sky Fights Back against HPS! « Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 06:15:58 PM » Author: Lumex120
Wow. People sure used to hate HPS back in 2008. Now, it seems like no one cares anymore about HPS and is now hating LED. By the way, I have never heard of an LED streetlight getting hit by lightning... great, here come the conspiracy theorists.

Unofficial LG Discord

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The Sky Fights Back against HPS! « Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 12:15:55 AM » Author: Medved
Wow. People sure used to hate HPS back in 2008. Now, it seems like no one cares anymore about HPS and is now hating LED. By the way, I have never heard of an LED streetlight getting hit by lightning... great, here come the conspiracy theorists.

Well, some people tend to always hate whatever is new and becomes popular...
Back in 2008 or so, people were hating HPS and musing about the LED's "bringing back the white light".
Now the (I would guess even the same) people are hating the LED's...
And if this site would be running back in the 30's, they will be hating the medium pressure MV's, back in the late 19'th century the hated would be whatever electric light...

No more selfballasted c***

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The Sky Fights Back against HPS! « Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 08:55:53 AM » Author: wattMaster

Well, some people tend to always hate whatever is new and becomes popular...
Back in 2008 or so, people were hating HPS and musing about the LED's "bringing back the white light".
Now the (I would guess even the same) people are hating the LED's...
And if this site would be running back in the 30's, they will be hating the medium pressure MV's, back in the late 19'th century the hated would be whatever electric light...

And in about 10-30 years, We will be used to LED and hating Sulfur Lamps.
Eventually there will be no more new lighting technologies.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The Sky Fights Back against HPS! « Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 12:17:22 PM » Author: hannahs lights
Be careful what you wish for he said come on give me close srike the moments later BANG a strike a few feet away bet he wishes he'd kept his mouth shut!!
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: The Sky Fights Back against HPS! « Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 04:19:21 AM » Author: dor123
The lightning strike turned off all the lights in that area, not only the lantern that it struck.
If it was a LED lantern, this would ends in a fire.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

hannahs lights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: The Sky Fights Back against HPS! « Reply #14 on: June 25, 2016, 07:04:39 AM » Author: hannahs lights
I'm not surprised it caused everything to go off at the very least I expect that the HV and LV fuses at the transformer would need changing also some of the wiring would of been burnt to a crisp
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies