Author Topic: 39W Metal Halide Ballast for 50W Mercury Vapor  (Read 1827 times)
BGPatterson
39W Metal Halide Ballast for 50W Mercury Vapor « on: June 21, 2017, 10:54:46 PM » Author: BGPatterson
The local lighting distributor Litron has this 39W Metal Halide Ballast. If I buy some 50W Mercury Vapor bulbs off amazon, it'll run them properly if I remove the ignitor? Now if I get a outdoor lantern, do I need a special socket to run this lamp or is the 120V rated one fine? I was considering putting this as a remote ballast for my porch lamp or garage lamp. http://www.solacanada.com/UserFiles/product/EMZAFTJ39.pdf
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: 39W Metal Halide Ballast for 50W Mercury Vapor « Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 12:10:34 AM » Author: Lumex120
The local lighting distributor Litron has this 39W Metal Halide Ballast. If I buy some 50W Mercury Vapor bulbs off amazon, it'll run them properly if I remove the ignitor? Now if I get a outdoor lantern, do I need a special socket to run this lamp or is the 120V rated one fine? I was considering putting this as a remote ballast for my porch lamp or garage lamp. http://www.solacanada.com/UserFiles/product/EMZAFTJ39.pdf
Yep, that will run a 50w merc just fine with the ignitor removed. I have one of these (rebranded Vista Outdoor Lighting) that runs a 50w mercury vapor perfectly. Also, the 120v socket will be fine since MV voltage never exceeds around 130v.

Unofficial LG Discord

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: 39W Metal Halide Ballast for 50W Mercury Vapor « Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 12:25:17 AM » Author: Lodge
A 120 volt socket will work on a 39 watt metal halide ballast as it normally runs at about 90 volts and it only has 235 volts open circuit, most 120 volt sockets are actually rated to 600 volts, but the issue you might find will be if the socket is plastic, it will deteriorate over time and fall apart from exposure to UV light, so you might want to change it over to a ceramic socket to avoid this, and honestly pulse rated sockets don't cost much more and are normally much better quality using nickel plated steel or copper or brass and not aluminium parts so they last a very long time and take exposure to the elements much better..
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies