Author Topic: Overheating AEG Minikoffers  (Read 5616 times)
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Overheating AEG Minikoffers « Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 03:39:12 PM » Author: Ash
Minikoffers were widely used in lighting walkways previously in my home town. Fixtures with broken bowls and lamps were very common as they were usually installed pretty low and bowl was not very vandal-resistant material and thus easely breakable (especially in winter)
No vandalism in mine (if you dont count in how they were removed from the poles before i got them, that is)

I captured almost every Minikoffer at the southern pavement of Mapu street
Thanks Dor !

The damage in the Minikoffers you took pictures of is indeed similar to the damage in mine. Some of mine are only very little burned like the ones in good condition, and some others are burned worse than the worst in your pictures. I seen some with the crack through the center of the cover too

Well, engineers had that intention, but assumed just the 80W lamp. Then the managers have decided if the 125W stuff fits in, lets offer that too and dont bother asking the engineers...
If that is what happened, it is still better than many modern products where the engineers actively take part in making the product fail after some time

Additionally, whats up with the ballasts ? The ballast is not something that a marketing rep would mark up from 80W to 125W, and the conditions inside the lantern dont look like the ballast would be subjected to much heat from the lamp, even with the 125W lamp
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Overheating AEG Minikoffers « Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 04:02:02 PM » Author: Michael
How were the bowls ?

The bolws were always brown and sometimes cracked right underneath the lamp. This only occured on Minikoffer fixtures with 125W lamp rating. There are still a lot of them installed in other municipalities throughout Switzerland but equipped with HPS 50/70w and PL-C 26W. Their bowls are intact.

Have you seen the mentioned Helvar ballasts in other luminaires ? Do they overheat there ?

No. We have some old fixtures from the 1970s with Helvar ballasts but no problem at all with them.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Overheating AEG Minikoffers « Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 05:53:20 PM » Author: Ash
Are they the same design as the 80s 90s ones ?
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Overheating AEG Minikoffers « Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 06:37:19 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I'd play safe and use the 80w lamps, also curious how 70w HPS would fare in a fixture like that

Administrator #5

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Overheating AEG Minikoffers « Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 11:15:28 AM » Author: Medved
Additionally, whats up with the ballasts ? The ballast is not something that a marketing rep would mark up from 80W to 125W, and the conditions inside the lantern dont look like the ballast would be subjected to much heat from the lamp, even with the 125W lamp

The 125W ballasts use to be of the same size as the 80W ones, so no problem for the marketing to order that directly to the final assembly production floor, without involving the development engineers at all...

No more selfballasted c***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Overheating AEG Minikoffers « Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 11:54:55 AM » Author: Ash
I will convert them all to 70W SON E/I. I expect they will be fine. They may still be hotter than they would be with 70W SON when new (the browned spot on the cover will absorb some of the light and heat) but probably it won't heat enough to deteriorate further

There are parts for 9 complete lanterns but only 8 intact covers (they are all with the burned spot, by intact i mean not broken)
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Overheating AEG Minikoffers « Reply #21 on: June 24, 2017, 04:34:57 PM » Author: Michael
Are they the same design as the 80s 90s ones ?

So far I remember the ones from the seventies the ballast and the elelctrical connetion were accessible via the bowl. The housing was made of one piece while the later ones were having something like door around the pole fixation. To see which ones you have you might post some photos here otherwise its hard to tell...
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Overheating AEG Minikoffers « Reply #22 on: June 24, 2017, 05:19:41 PM » Author: Ash
Mine are of the type where you remove the bowl and then drop the entire lantern head forward, with the pole mount/gear plate remaining in place
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Overheating AEG Minikoffers « Reply #23 on: June 25, 2017, 04:33:24 AM » Author: Michael
Ok so these might be the newer ones you have.
Siemens/ Siteco offered a almost identical lantern called SL50 but here the cover was made of GRP while the chassis was die - cast Aluminum.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies