Author Topic: Anyone here do home canning ?  (Read 1426 times)
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Anyone here do home canning ? « on: July 14, 2017, 12:10:07 PM » Author: Lodge
Just wondering if anyone here does any home canning and make things like jams jellies or other preserved things, I make pretty much everything under the sun and have about 1400 to 2000 jars on my shelf at any time from jams and jellies, pickles, to canned meats and fish and I'm always looking for new ideas and recipes, or if you would like some recipes or some instructions on how to home can food let me know, just think pickled Hungarian hot pepper rings with a shoot of vodka in the jar to make them really pop and no I'm not one of those doomsday preppers, I'm just cheap and do every thing in season and I've found I can do a large batch just as fast as a small batches, that and I drag the neighbors over to help and they all get a few cans of what ever we are making..
wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone here do home canning ? « Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 06:55:22 PM » Author: wattMaster
and have about 1400 to 2000 jars on my shelf at any time
Is that for real? :o

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone here do home canning ? « Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 07:41:01 PM » Author: Lodge
Yep I have two and half full commercial wire shelves from floor to ceiling, I think its 12 shelves high, I haven't actually bought anything in a can or jar from the grocery store in over two years now, well except condensed milk, I can't make that at home safely, and heresy chocolate syrup (yes chocolate milkshake's are one of my weaknesses.) I also have boxes of jars under tables though out my house as well, they also help hide the light fixtures from the wife I haven't told her about yet, but I also get hundreds of pounds of free fruit and vegetables every year given to me and know where to pick free berries and I get free boxes of old jars all the time, and honestly most people with fruit trees in there yard, don't eat the fruit. So I put them to use, here's the thing about why I have so many, yes I'm cheap and do work in season, but a small group of people from around the area and me get together and we feed about 200 people every second Sunday, it's kinda like a soup kitchen for homeless people in a parking lot where the 7 gallons of soup I make goes in about 15 minutes, and faster as the temp drops, so my canning also gets used, and more gets made and I do give some of it away to people in need as well, and to people who return my jars.. Oddly enough even though I live in the inner city people don't bother me much anymore , I don't get the "you got any spare change" from people as you walk the neighborhood or the threatening gestures, like the other residents complain about at the community league meetings.  I get the thanks for the soup, or, what are you making next time..

And while it sounds like a lot of work making that many jars, and I do a 1000 plus a year, if you have a few friends over and have a BBQ, and get them to help, its easy to make 200 to 300 jars in an afternoon with four gas coleman stoves and two picnic tables, and its really not that much work either, we all get to eat, laugh and take some stuff home for later..
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Anyone here do home canning ? « Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 08:45:52 PM » Author: CEB1993
Hey Lodge, that's neat that you do your own canning. Those Hungarian peppers with vodka sound delicious!  I use authentic Hungarian paprika for my steak and burger seasoning. GE light bulbs aren't the only things from Hungary I use regularly  :) I've grown tobasco peppers and cherry tomatoes before.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone here do home canning ? « Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 12:40:43 AM » Author: ace100w120v
I do a little bit, mostly canning salmon.
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone here do home canning ? « Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 12:44:41 AM » Author: Lodge
I like canned salmon, but it did take me a few batches to learn the skin doesn't go against the glass, I hate washing the jars if it does even though it does look nice..
ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone here do home canning ? « Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 12:59:54 AM » Author: ace100w120v
Oh yeah washing that off is, let's say, less than easy.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies