Author Topic: Differences between vintage and modern light bulbs  (Read 18408 times)
Lumalux

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex's World of Christmas Lights!

Re: Differences between vintage and modern light bulbs « Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 11:59:00 PM » Author: Lumalux
Dave:

Back to the issue of availability of US-made acid-etched bulbs ...

The latest version of the GE Survivor lamp that I have is acid etched.  I'm holding packages of 60 and 100 watt 130 volt Survivors that I bought online about a year ago and they say "Made in USA" on the packages but the bulbs themselves do not have the country of origin on them.  Interestingly, the Survivors used to be diffuse (silica) coated and the Garage Door Opener bulbs were acid etched.  Then GE switched and the Survivors are now acid etched and GDO bulbs are silica coated.  Otherwise, they are essentially the same bulb.

Also, I know Sylvania A-15 lamps like the standard 15 watt and 40 watt appliance bulb are still acid-etched and are US-made (at least until recently).  I also have some recent Sylvania A-19 60 watt 130 volt 5,000 hour rough service bulbs that I bought online in a two-pack and they are acid etched and US-made.

Thanks to everyone for this lively and informative dicussion.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies