Author Topic: Why do some CFL's buzz?  (Read 2115 times)
lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Why do some CFL's buzz? « on: April 04, 2009, 09:32:01 AM » Author: lightman64
What makes some CFL's have that annoying buzz to them?

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Why do some CFL's buzz? « Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 10:04:39 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
the magnetic ones or the electronic ones?

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Re: Why do some CFL's buzz? « Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 10:10:02 AM » Author: lightman64
Either

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do some CFL's buzz? « Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 10:40:42 AM » Author: Medved
Magnetic: Loose ballast core assembly, magnetostriction in it

Electronic: The main ballasting coil magnetic assembly, when the filtering capacitor is ready to die - it does not filter the rectified mains as well, so the HF current (normally not audible) is strongly amplitude-modulated by 100/120Hz.
And sometimes the buzz originate from the EMC filter coil when is connected before the filtering capacitor - as high current pulses flow trough it (when the filtering capacitor is recharged).

No more selfballasted c***

bluelights

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do some CFL's buzz? « Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 12:44:52 PM » Author: bluelights
I have never heard a CFL buzz, but I guess that could be the cathodes filaments vibrating?

"The orange cloud looks like floating nuclear waste."
Save the mercury lamp

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies