Author Topic: How to care for pigeon eggs ?  (Read 2299 times)
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

How to care for pigeon eggs ? « on: March 14, 2017, 04:32:22 PM » Author: Ash
I have worked today installing LAN in a building that is undergoing renovations

There was a drop ceiling with sealed off space above it. I moved a tile to get there.. There is a hole through which pigeons could enter from outside. On top of the drop ceiling tiles i could find a nest with 2 eggs, a dried corpse of a (adult) pigeon, and dunes of poop

As part of the renovations that hole is sealed off, so there is no one to sit over the eggs..

The eggs look white, sorta normal.. i dont know what specific signs to look for

Right now i took them home, they are in a bit over ambient temp, in a cardboard box next to an Incandescent lamp (not under the direct heat). But if they hatch, i am not sure how & how often to feed the pipsqueaks or what else they may need..

Anyone with knowledge ? (beyond what i can find myself in Google)

Would they eat something like wetted cat food ?
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: How to care for pigeon eggs ? « Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 05:27:02 PM » Author: Lumex120
Well, unless the area they were found in was very warm, there is a slim chance that they survived. If they did and they hatch, there is a website that has lots of info on it. (It is about raising chickens mostly but there is lots of info on pigeons there too.)
backyardchickens.com

Unofficial LG Discord

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: How to care for pigeon eggs ? « Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 07:41:45 PM » Author: Lodge
Shine a flash light threw them in a darkened room to see if there is any signs of life in the egg,if they are starting to develop you should see a dark spot if they are just starting, that is the birds eyes, you might also see more of a bird as they mature and veins on the egg shell, but unless they are warm and humid they more then likely won't make it..

Just do a quick google search of egg candling pictures they will show you what they look like at different stages of life, and a Pigeon egg needs 99.5 deg F 37.5 deg c and about 60% humidity, I used to use a cardboard box a 60 light with a small thermostat and a dish of water over the bulb to hatch duck eggs... And you need to turn them a few times a day and a little sprinkle of water doesn't hurt either.....

And they are pretty much self feeding after two or three days and they will need a heat lamp / warm area to keep warm until there feathers get bigger and I don't know about cat food but thinned out oatmeal about as thick as skim milk or real wet soupy baby biscuits ( don't give them milk they can't digest it ) should work in a pinch but after a few days you can make it thicker and then move to the dryer stuff...     
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to care for pigeon eggs ? « Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 12:12:35 PM » Author: Lodge
Are you a new pigeon parent yet ?
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to care for pigeon eggs ? « Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 03:28:35 PM » Author: Ash
Thanks Max. I tried it, after about 1:00 min 2 Phoenixes hatched out and started flying through the house and fighting with each other shooting flamethrowers everywhere. Now they are gone and my house is on fire -_-
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to care for pigeon eggs ? « Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 10:47:47 AM » Author: Ash
Can i just rewind the transformer to lower the output ?
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to care for pigeon eggs ? « Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 04:13:49 PM » Author: Ash
In those cases the Magnetron's output power stays the same i assume. Where it goes then ? (or where the power goes when i run the oven empty etc) ?
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: How to care for pigeon eggs ? « Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 12:43:10 AM » Author: dor123
Never put eggs inside the microwave. They can shatter because of internal steam pressure building.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to care for pigeon eggs ? « Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 04:53:35 AM » Author: Lodge
Never put eggs inside the microwave. They can shatter because of internal steam pressure building.

Now you told them not to do something, you know they are now going to try it, in fact they probably already will have before you post again..
If your going to try it use a Pyrex bowl over the egg it's a lot easier to clean afterwards, and if anyone uses my microwave they better get ready for the size 13 steel toe to the rear, yes I hate messes in my coffee re-heater, but metal spoons in a cup of coffee is ok with me and so are frozen juice cans with metal ends so long as pop the top.. 

In those cases the Magnetron's output power stays the same i assume. Where it goes then ? (or where the power goes when i run the oven empty etc) ?

If there is no load it will discharge in the air and off the insides of the microwave, basically it's shorting out generally it's not the best idea to run a microwave with no load inside it for an extended period, and can result in the burning of the mica window just outside the magnatron waveguide, allowing food splatter or egg explosion to get in and then you'll smell burnt food for weeks ...
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: How to care for pigeon eggs ? « Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 05:54:42 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
what goes on with the birds? did they hatch?

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to care for pigeon eggs ? « Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 01:20:03 AM » Author: Ash
No
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: How to care for pigeon eggs ? « Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 01:38:39 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Thats a shame, well, atleast you tried

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies