Author Topic: i brought a mercury starved F40T12 tube back to life  (Read 1467 times)
RyanKorponay12

View Posts
View Gallery

Ryan Korponay The Ballaster
i brought a mercury starved F40T12 tube back to life « on: August 17, 2017, 02:59:21 PM » Author: RyanKorponay12
i found a F40T12 tube in someones trash on the side of the road and brought it home lmao and i found it to be mercury starved, it glowed very very dim with stritations, so i thought im going to put it on my F96T12/HO ballast to kill it, to my surprise it ran fine it was dim but gradually got brighter, i flipped the orientation of the tube ever once and awhile so i didint burn out a cathode and eventually it was at full brighness and so i left it for about 20 min to cool down and i put it in my living room light (2x F40T12 fuxture) and it ran perfectly! no stritations or anything it ran normally! it is now in service in my living room XD

The Ballaster!!! *Poof*...

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: i brought a mercury starved F40T12 tube back to life « Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 08:54:09 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
hows that work? why does it act dead then come back?

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

RyanKorponay12

View Posts
View Gallery

Ryan Korponay The Ballaster
Re: i brought a mercury starved F40T12 tube back to life « Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 09:33:30 PM » Author: RyanKorponay12
i have no idea

The Ballaster!!! *Poof*...

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: i brought a mercury starved F40T12 tube back to life « Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 01:49:51 AM » Author: dor123
i found a F40T12 tube in someones trash on the side of the road and brought it home lmao and i found it to be mercury starved, it glowed very very dim with stritations, so i thought im going to put it on my F96T12/HO ballast to kill it, to my surprise it ran fine it was dim but gradually got brighter, i flipped the orientation of the tube ever once and awhile so i didint burn out a cathode and eventually it was at full brighness and so i left it for about 20 min to cool down and i put it in my living room light (2x F40T12 fuxture) and it ran perfectly! no stritations or anything it ran normally! it is now in service in my living room XD
The only reason I thought for this situation, is because mercury hasn't yet released from the capsule/amalgam, during the manufacturing stage. I think you could also run it on your F40T12 and wait several tens of mins, and the mercury would eventually evaporate and the lamp become stable.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: i brought a mercury starved F40T12 tube back to life « Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 05:47:36 AM » Author: Medved
This is quite common when the tubes are operated very rarely, getting old and stay in cold environment. The mercury then condenses on different parts (practically all metals tend to attract it there), so when powered up after long time, there is insufficient mercury in the gaseous form before the tube warms up and the mercury evaporates back.
With daily operation the mercury get "stirred up" enough so there is enough mercury even for the next start.

No more selfballasted c***

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: i brought a mercury starved F40T12 tube back to life « Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 09:16:47 PM » Author: Lodge
This is also pretty common with old neon signs, if parts of the tubes are dim just give then a good spin and shake to distribute the mercury they will normally come back to life, but don't do it before you buy it or the price will go up as the brightness increases back to there former glory.. 
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies