Author Topic: Metal halide or mercury vapor?  (Read 1325 times)
micole66

View Posts
View Gallery

Metal halide or mercury vapor? « on: September 13, 2017, 08:28:53 AM » Author: micole66
What lamp is this streetlight??
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Metal halide or mercury vapor? « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 08:37:08 AM » Author: dor123
Clear mercury vapor lamp without a color correcting phosphor.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

micole66

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Metal halide or mercury vapor? « Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 08:40:47 AM » Author: micole66
Clear mercury vapor lamp without a color correcting phosphor.

How much is long the hot restrike of this streetlight?
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Metal halide or mercury vapor? « Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 08:58:17 AM » Author: dor123
Depending on the wattage and the brand of the lamp. Most mercury lamps restrikes between 2-5 mins, but there are mercury lamps that takes longer than that.
When the lamp is about to restrike, a small discharge appears at one end of the arctube, between the main electrode and the starting electrode.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

wattMaster

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Metal halide or mercury vapor? « Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 11:12:35 AM » Author: wattMaster
It could actually have a color correcting phosphor, as cameras tend to make all mercury vapor lamps look green.

SLS! (Stop LED Streetlights!)

micole66

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Metal halide or mercury vapor? « Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 12:19:26 PM » Author: micole66
It could actually have a color correcting phosphor, as cameras tend to make all mercury vapor lamps look green.

I have a curiosity, why is a mercury vapor and not a metal halide??
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Metal halide or mercury vapor? « Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 01:20:51 AM » Author: tolivac
In simple terms a MH lamp is nothing more than a shorter arc Mercury lamp with the Halide salts added.Heat reflective ends are added to the arc tube to concentrate the heat to keep the salts vaporized-the white color material on the ends of quartz pinched arc tubes.Ceramic arc tubes-the white or grey translucent ones-run hotter than quartz so the salts are vaporized and stay in the arcstream better-even brighter,more consistent light.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Metal halide or mercury vapor? « Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 05:00:55 AM » Author: dor123
Probe-start MH lamps requires higher OCV than the 230-240V mains in Europe. The European overcome this issue by using 750W two wire ignitor in parallel to the mercury choke, as it is simpler than a CWA ballast. So in Europe, probe start MH lamps can't retrofit mercury lamps directly. Micole66 said in other post of him, that he is from Europe, where probe-start MH lamps aren't common.

@micole66: I strongly recommends you to insert your origin country and your mains voltage to your profile information, in order to prevent American members to provide you misleading or irrelevant information. Their lighting technology is significantly different than ours.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies