Author Topic: I've Seen The 1st Sets of Christmas Lights  (Read 4086 times)
Bubbler Tube

View Posts
View Gallery

I've Seen The 1st Sets of Christmas Lights « on: September 19, 2017, 10:16:42 AM » Author: Bubbler Tube
Today in Wilko But They Are ALL LED, BAH!!!!

Think That's Earlier Than Last Year......

I LOVE Bulbs, Be They The Light up Kind or the Ones That Grow...

marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I've Seen The 1st Sets of Christmas Lights « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 12:30:54 PM » Author: marcopete87
Think That's Earlier Than Last Year......

Absolutely normal: it's an miracle Christmas commercials aren't yet everywhere  >:( :-[ :'(

However, i prefer LED, because minor fire hazard risk (if -better than crap- quality)
Beta 5

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I've Seen The 1st Sets of Christmas Lights « Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 04:39:01 AM » Author: Beta 5
I love Incandescent Christmas lights, especially coloured, LED coloured Christmas lights give out colours that are too cold and harsh, incandescent strings of lights are much nicer.
Almost all of my Christmas lights are incandescent.  :inc:
The Christmas decorations seem to come out way to early in the shops, bringing them all out at the start of November would be better, so people can buy them ready for the start of December.

Fluorescent Forever :lfl:

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I've Seen The 1st Sets of Christmas Lights « Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 05:20:56 AM » Author: Ash
This way by the time of Christmas some peeps forget that they bought and buy again later
Bubbler Tube

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I've Seen The 1st Sets of Christmas Lights « Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 07:04:33 AM » Author: Bubbler Tube
I LOVE Filament Christmas lights and ALL my sets are Filament....
 :inc: :inc: :inc:

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I've Seen The 1st Sets of Christmas Lights « Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 07:55:20 PM » Author: sol
Incandescent lamps are probably the closest you can get to a flame in electric lighting. According to the feast of light holiday tradition (which the Church did not like as it was a pagan holiday so they started celebrating Christmas at that time of the year - if you can't beat 'em then join 'em) the lighting was done with candles and of course flames. It is very wise not to adorn your house with a plethora of open flame candles, so the incandescent lamps are the next best thing. For reasons that were discussed ad nauseam elsewhere on this site, I despise LED Christmas lights and don't find them festive at all.

At my church, there are LED Christmas lights, but I'm not on the decorating committee, and that is very well since I don't have time for that (plus I am the organist, so I have all that to prepare).
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: I've Seen The 1st Sets of Christmas Lights « Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 08:29:16 PM » Author: Lodge
Neon flicker flames are closer to a real flame, and I've noticed walmart has nice 2 watt A-19 shaped ones in the Halloween section for a $1.97 each, and I bought several about two years ago (it will be two come Oct 1) and powered them 24/7/265 and they are still working today, not bad for a $2 light (17280 hours and counting) If you want to get some, make sure you open the box in the store and flame shaped metal piece is black, if it has white powered on it, it won't work, and I'm only saying this because I seen some in the store by me which looked like the stock person dropped the box on the floor, and they got an air leak..
Bubbler Tube

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I've Seen The 1st Sets of Christmas Lights « Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 08:48:09 AM » Author: Bubbler Tube
Neon flicker flames are closer to a real flame, and I've noticed walmart has nice 2 watt A-19 shaped ones in the Halloween section for a $1.97 each, and I bought several about two years ago (it will be two come Oct 1) and powered them 24/7/265 and they are still working today, not bad for a $2 light (17280 hours and counting) If you want to get some, make sure you open the box in the store and flame shaped metal piece is black, if it has white powered on it, it won't work, and I'm only saying this because I seen some in the store by me which looked like the stock person dropped the box on the floor, and they got an air leak..

I LIKE the sound of these, just HOPE the shops here will do them and Thank You for the Tip re white on the metal bit....

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I've Seen The 1st Sets of Christmas Lights « Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 07:13:50 PM » Author: sol
To the casual quick glance, yes the neon flicker flames are more realistic. However, I was referring to the fact that the incandescent is a black body radiator with a spectrum closer to that of fire.

Don't get me wrong here, I quite like the neon flicker lamps, and I quite like the incandescent lamps as well.
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: I've Seen The 1st Sets of Christmas Lights « Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 08:46:54 PM » Author: Lodge
To the casual quick glance, yes the neon flicker flames are more realistic. However, I was referring to the fact that the incandescent is a black body radiator with a spectrum closer to that of fire.

Don't get me wrong here, I quite like the neon flicker lamps, and I quite like the incandescent lamps as well.

ah so then we have to step it up a notch, the balafire lamps are a work of art, carbon filament flickering around a magnet... If only they where easier to get and a  wee bit cheaper I'd do my Christmas tree with them ... 
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I've Seen The 1st Sets of Christmas Lights « Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 10:20:58 PM » Author: Ash
Sodium color looks much more fiery to me

Sol, actually, is there anything that emit strong spectral lines in a wood fire ? Is there any significant quantity of NaCl or otherwise Na in wood ?
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: I've Seen The 1st Sets of Christmas Lights « Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 10:24:36 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
heh.... puts sodium lights on christmas tree.... you know... given the resources .. i would genuinly do something that foolish and unnecessary  ;) ;D ;D

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Bubbler Tube

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I've Seen The 1st Sets of Christmas Lights « Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 03:49:58 AM » Author: Bubbler Tube
I now have a set of 40 Filament Bulb Green Clear Green Clear back up in my dark hallway.....
 :inc: :inc: :inc:

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I've Seen The 1st Sets of Christmas Lights « Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 04:50:38 PM » Author: sol
heh.... puts sodium lights on christmas tree.... you know... given the resources .. i would genuinly do something that foolish and unnecessary  ;) ;D ;D

Well, I've considered putting an outdoor Christmas tree and decorating it with shiny ornaments (silver and gold coloured) and then lighting it up with metal halide floods. Never gotten around to it, and this year won't be the year, but it would certainly look quite good !

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: I've Seen The 1st Sets of Christmas Lights « Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 08:13:51 AM » Author: 589
Three easily fixable(by manufacturers) complaints about LED Christmas light strings I have:

1.They flicker horribly and give me a headache, please build some rectification into them.

2. The leads on the LED lamps will rust out when used outside, why are ferrous leads being used anyway with something outdoor rated??

3. Colored strings are way too harsh, use warm white strings with color filter on them just like incandescent ones.

Edit:
Haha, yes to the sodium lit tree. Put 35w hps bulbs all over it and a 1000w at the top for a "star". It would be a bright, buzzy tree. LOL.

Edit2:
Can't forget the 50w clear and DX mercs! Mix those in with the 35w hps.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 08:22:40 AM by Andy Sodium » Logged

:lps:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies