Author Topic: GE Luminous Arc Post lamp and bulb?  (Read 2224 times)
Bsavulis
GE Luminous Arc Post lamp and bulb? « on: September 26, 2017, 03:50:49 PM » Author: Bsavulis
Ok I have learned not to post from my phone. Thanks all who contacted me with the issues of my first post.
I have a post light that was left by the previous owner of my house. They had the globe RTV'd to a wood block and affixed
to the post. Does anyone have an idea of how it all should go together? Any photos? It is a GE luminous arc lamp.
 There are also 2 lamps in the cellar that look like train headlights? Does anyone have info on those?
  Lastly I also found a bulb (I think) does anyone know about it?
I am hoping to put the post light back into service with a 120v LED lamp.
The spotlight and bulb I would like to get rid of, does the bulb have mercury in it?

Thanks
Brian
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: GE Luminous Arc Post lamp and bulb? « Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 04:05:23 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Ok I have learned not to post from my phone. Thanks all who contacted me with the issues of my first post.
I have a post light that was left by the previous owner of my house. They had the globe RTV'd to a wood block and affixed
to the post. Does anyone have an idea of how it all should go together? Any photos? It is a GE luminous arc lamp.
 There are also 2 lamps in the cellar that look like train headlights? Does anyone have info on those?
  Lastly I also found a bulb (I think) does anyone know about it?
I am hoping to put the post light back into service with a 120v LED lamp.
The spotlight and bulb I would like to get rid of, does the bulb have mercury in it?

Thanks
Brian
i think there are people around here that'd be interested in the lights you're about to get rid of...

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: GE Luminous Arc Post lamp and bulb? « Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 04:58:54 PM » Author: Lodge
The bottom two pictures, are of a short arc lamp, I'll give you the warning, those lamps are glass, and pressurized to about 800 PSI, they will violently rupture sending shards of glass into anything with in about 20 feet of them at a very high speed, and they will do it without any warning yes they will go right through your skin and they are invisible on an X-ray so they are no fun to have removed, place that lamp either back in it's protective box, or a heavy cardboard box, and while handling them wear gloves long sleeved clothing and a protective face shield and I would recommend neck protection like a scarf, really they are a dangerous lamp if not in there protective box or light fixture..

Now about the mercury, the lamp may contain mercury if you are worried about disposal of the lamp, like homebrewlamps said I'm sure someone here would like to add this lamp to there collection so it's well cared for and would help you out with that, and would more then likely pick it up or pay for shipping and it's better then sending another item to the dump, and they would more then likely help you out with the spotlight as well, you might even be able to trade for some help getting that post light up and running...

Now the top photo is a post light and it looks like all the parts are there,they are typically metal halide or mercury vapor although some are sodium, and the ballast should be in the green base, if you have a few more closeup pictures we can tell you more about it, but they are nice looking lights when mounted on a pole, typically they  are up about 30 feet in a parking lot or street, but using a lower wattage light you can mount them lower and still have a nice effect, and yes you can do it with LED but depending on the area you are trying to light up and how bright you would like it to be you might be better off and cheaper to go with a metal halide type light....

But long and short if your going LED you can just remove the ballast and related part get a smaller socket if it's using a mogul sized one and wire up your LED lamp, replace the globe and cover and mount the light on a post..    
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 05:00:36 PM by Lodge » Logged
nicksfans

View Posts
View Gallery

Down with lamp bans!

GoL the.baus.of.all.bauses UCDl2EWWZc9h1IZXcfGU9OZA nicksfans
Re: GE Luminous Arc Post lamp and bulb? « Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 07:46:42 PM » Author: nicksfans
The name "luminous arc" makes me think the post-top is an actual carbon arc lamp. Cool, but impractical even if it works, and I assume this one doesn't or is incomplete. An LED conversion should be very simple if you can figure out a way to attach a standard socket. There are lots of "corn cob" style LED lamps out there that you could use.

I like my lamps thick, my ballasts heavy, and my fixtures tough.

My Gallery
Instagram
YouTube

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies