Author Topic: 70W internal ignitor HPS lamps, that restrikes directly from plain 230Vrms  (Read 2428 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

70W internal ignitor HPS lamps, that restrikes directly from plain 230Vrms « on: May 02, 2017, 03:20:20 PM » Author: dor123
When we're at Rosh Pina, I observed a Gaash Mars 10, with a redded out Osram NAV-E/I 70W internal glow starter HPS lamp, that cycling.
To my surprise, after 2:40 mins, the lamp restruck directly from plains 230Vrms, in a bluish mercury color, when the starter was disconnected by its cutout.
How this was happened?

Link to the video
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 04:00:45 PM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 70W internal ignitor HPS lamps, that restrikes directly from plain 230Vrms « Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 08:37:52 AM » Author: Medved
Maybe the cut out had just reclosed...

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 70W internal ignitor HPS lamps, that restrikes directly from plain 230Vrms « Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 08:55:13 AM » Author: dor123
The starter glow wasn't seen when the lamp restruck, meaning that its cutout was still open during the restrike. If it would be closed, I should see the starter glow before the lamp restrikes, like it always occured with the Philips SON 70W.
Also, at ~2:40 mins, this is too short for the cutout to close, it usually closes after 4-6 mins or something take ages to close, if it is very weak.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: 70W internal ignitor HPS lamps, that restrikes directly from plain 230Vrms « Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 11:37:25 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Given the lamp is at EOL, the glow bottle will have been blackend from its normal run life, it may have glowed on re-start, but the bottle was too dark for you to be able to see it?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 70W internal ignitor HPS lamps, that restrikes directly from plain 230Vrms « Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 12:09:04 PM » Author: dor123
These starters usually contains neon inside the glow bottle, and are well visible also with EOL cycling SON-I lamps. I also don't think that the cutout would open after such a short time (~2:40), as it is a slow moving device. I think I should able to see the glow starter, before the lamp restruck, if the starter cutout was closed, especially with such a visible lamp through the clear finish of the lantern.
I've an evidence for a brand new Osram NAV-E/I 70W that restruck directly from plain 230Vrms at the same time period , despite the light from the glow bottle during cold ignition, is very visible.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 70W internal ignitor HPS lamps, that restrikes directly from plain 230Vrms « Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 06:22:18 AM » Author: Medved
I also don't think that the cutout would open after such a short time (~2:40), as it is a slow moving device.

Well, cycling lamp does not let the cutout (and the whole lamp as well - as that is, what actually prevents the hot cutout to cool down faster after normal power off) to warm up as much, so even less than a minute could be quite reasonable cool down time.
And as AngryHorse mentioned, blackeneed starter won't give off much of its radiation, mainly if the lamp is cycling for some time, so the starter got a lot of cycles.

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 70W internal ignitor HPS lamps, that restrikes directly from plain 230Vrms « Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 07:35:54 AM » Author: dor123
Usually the neon discharge of the starters of Philips and Osram inetrnal ignitor HPS lamps, is bright enough to be visible through the blackening on the starter tube.
In most Osram NAV-E/I that I've seen that restrikes without the appearance of the glow of the starter after ~2:30 mins, during turning on, the glow of the starter was visible, meaning that these lamps restruck directly from plain 230Vrms. In most internal ignitor HPS lamps, that restrike after the starter cutout is closed, they restruck after much longer time than the lamp in the video. With most lamps that restruck shorter than this, the starter didn't had a cutout at all.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 70W internal ignitor HPS lamps, that restrikes directly from plain 230Vrms « Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 09:50:08 AM » Author: dor123
Update: I think you are right. I've seen the said lantern at Rosh-Pina again at 29.9.2017 during the recent Yom Kippur, and is looks indeed that regardless if it restrikes after 2 or 4 mins, the glow starter don't appears before that.
So it seems that it indeed the thermal cut-out closes after very short time (But I've seen new Osram NAV-E/I 70W that really restrikes directly from plain 230Vrms , inside a Koffer 70 at Kiryat Ata [Hot restrike has done manually by its breaker]), and that the glow bottle is black enough to block all of the light from the glow discharge between the bi-metallic contacts.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 70W internal ignitor HPS lamps, that restrikes directly from plain 230Vrms « Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 02:20:23 PM » Author: Ash
In a new lamp, the starter is so bright that its glow illuminates the Earth under a low mounted lantern. Found this out with a Mars i converted from 125W Merc to 70W SON E/I and brand new Osram Slovakia lamp
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 70W internal ignitor HPS lamps, that restrikes directly from plain 230Vrms « Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 02:29:25 PM » Author: dor123
So why the redded out Osram NAV-E/I lamp in this video during the last Independence Day , restrikes without the glow from the starter first (This lamp done that, also during Yom Kippur, also when restriking after 3-4 mins, rather than 2 mins?

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies