Author Topic: 2000 Watt XBO Short Arc ?  (Read 1735 times)
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

2000 Watt XBO Short Arc ? « on: October 03, 2017, 01:04:57 AM » Author: Lodge
I have a 2000 Watt Spacecannon Easy touring 2000 light to repair, with a failed ballast (power supply) and need some info on powering the light, and I have a crazy Idea happening, can I use a large 28 volt power supply able to supply 70 amps of nicely filtered DC power and superimpose a high voltage pulse for starting or does anyone know of a company that makes a ballasts for a 2000 watt short arc tube ?

And if I'm about to do something dumb, which I'm very good at doing please let me know because I've never really worked with short arc lights before and short of reading data sheets and a few things on the internet there is not to much info on powering the light bulb and the power supply does look like 4 smaller switched mode power supplies and then a high voltage pulse igniter so I was thinking of doing the same... 

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: 2000 Watt XBO Short Arc ? « Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 10:09:50 AM » Author: 589
The only thing I know that uses lamps that large is projectors, which are xenon. Is this lamp xenon?

:lps:

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: 2000 Watt XBO Short Arc ? « Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 10:24:54 AM » Author: Ash
Think of the coil (for inducing the starting pulse) that will be needed to carry 70A in steady state...

Either you'll have to make some relay that quickly bypasses the coil after the starting (but it will still have to handle 70A briefly, so not as thin as a fuse), or use some antenna near the lamp to deliver the pulse instead

How about trying to repair the proper ballast instead ?
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: 2000 Watt XBO Short Arc ? « Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 12:40:53 PM » Author: Lodge
Andy Sodium, It's a pure Xenon tube made by Osram XBO 2000W/SHSC OFR this is the Data sheet for it https://www.osram.com/appsinfo/pdc/pdf.do?cid=GPS01_1028548&mpid=ZMP_55864&vid=PP_EUROPE_Europe_eCat&lid=EN
It is in a projector it's a full motion spotlight commonly used at events lighting up the sky for miles.. 

Ash, starting the lamp isn't the issue the fixture did come with an ignition board which is huge coil of I want to say 2AWG wire and there is a small wrap of wire around it forming a simple transformer and this is powered by a high voltage pulse transformer so it should be capable of producing somewhere in the 50 kv range, I've learned the hard way not to measure that with a voltmeter as I have toasted one or two doing it in the past, but the design looks like it's just superimposing the high voltage on the wire..

Basically looking at the drive boards which there are two of them, they look like a large but simple switched mode power supply outputting 33 volts at 33 amps each and they are paralleled and they have an opto-isolator controlling them, so I was wondering is that all that is required to power a short arc tube a simple power supply with half decent filtering outputting DC and a pulse transformer for starting all that is required to get these units up and running ? 
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies