Author Topic: Article: For the first time: A competition for the Israel Standards Institute  (Read 1216 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Article: For the first time: A competition for the Israel Standards Institute « on: October 03, 2017, 07:28:28 AM » Author: dor123
I've found this suspicious article in Yediot Aharonot newspaper today:

Translation to english:

For the first time: A competition for the Israel Standards Institute

The Ministry of Economy has authorized two private laboratories to conduct inspections of imported electrical and electronic products. The goal: to reduce tariffs that will be rolled out to consumers.

For the first time, the laboratory testing market for the import of consumer goods was opened to competition. Since October 1, the Standards Institute laboratories are no longer the only ones authorized to perform tests in the field of imports. Electrical and electronic products are the first to be tested in private laboratories.
The Ministry of Economics estimates that the competition will save ₪200 million, which means a reduction of 6% in consumer prices - if the importers actually transfer the discount rate to consumers. Jacob Wachtel, the standardization officer at the ministry, predicts that the opening of the market will lead to price competition between the laboratories and a reduction in rates for importers by 30-40%.
The Ministry also expects that the waiting times for the importers will be shortened until the approvals for the products are received. Wachtel also noted that "To date, the Standards Institution has controlled the tests. Even in the construction industry, which has already opened for competition, competing laboratories have only been able to perform tests in the country, land tests or tests to obtain a form 4 and not to import materials. Imports at the Institute".
The exposure of imports to tests of competing laboratories is divided into four stages. In the first phase, most of the "white" appliances are included: refrigerators, freezers, dishwashers, washing machines and dryers, as well as audio and video products, batteries and handheld powertools. Cookers, microwave ovens, and small electrical appliances will be included in the next steps.
Two laboratories were authorized to carry out the tests and issue the necessary approvals from the products included in the first stage: Hermon and ITL
Two additional laboratories are in the process of obtaining permits. In order to provide importers with full approvals, including initial tests for model approval and sample tests from overseas shipments, the laboratories must be connected to the duty and tax authorities. Due to delays in the development of the computerization program, In the first stage, the laboratories will perform the tests for the initial approvals, and the complete test file will be performed from 1.4.2018.
At 1.5.2018 the second stage will begin, which will include cellular communications products, strollers, diapers, household cleaning products, electric bicycles, water purifiers and filters, microwave ovens and baking ovens. In the third stage, on December 1, 2019, will includes toys, textile products (excluding diapers), energy systems and electrical office equipment. The fourth stage, on March 1, 2021, The fourth stage, on March 1, 2021, will include small household appliances such as mixers, food processors, toasters, automobiles and related products, playground facilities, ceramics and building materials. "Expanding the supply of labs where importers will be able to perform tests will lower regulatory costs and reduce the duration of the examination, which will help reduce the cost of living," said Eli Cohen, the minister of economy and industry. "It will make it easier for small and new companies to increase the volume of trade."

End of article.

What I'm fearing, is that when the tests of the Standards Institute of Israel, will be done by private laboratories not on behalf of our government, that this would result in a lot of dangerous and unsafety, as well as unreliable and crap import of appliances and other stuff.

Your opinions?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 09:31:37 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Article: For the first time: A competition for the Israel Standards Institute « Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 02:16:59 PM » Author: Ash
This is a first step in the right direction. The SII is corrupt and is influenced with at least as much politics as it is by standards - This step will start clearing things up

But, and this is a very important but : i sure hope that this step is not only limited to imported stuff, but that the new laboratories will be qualified to test locally made stuff as well. Otherwise, the imports will benefit from the lower cost testing while local industry will remain stuck with the SII

Dor, pick any European-made electrical component and you'll see many European standard signs on it : IMQ, VDE NF, CEBEC, oVE, *MKO.... Each one of them is recognized in every EU country, so they are competing with each other in a way. As matter of fact, stuff aspproved by any of them in the EU is, on average, safer than stuff imported and APPROVED by the SII in Israel
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Article: For the first time: A competition for the Israel Standards Institute « Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 02:24:28 PM » Author: dor123
Dor, pick any European-made electrical component and you'll see many European standard signs on it : IMQ, VDE NF, CEBEC, oVE, *MKO.... Each one of them is recognized in every EU country, so they are competing with each other in a way. As matter of fact, stuff aspproved by any of them in the EU is, on average, safer than stuff imported and APPROVED by the SII in Israel
But I've seen and have lot of pictures in my gallery, of Flash CFLs with fake VDE and other fake European standard marks in the gallery, as well as other Chinese stuff with fake European standard marks.
It is horrible that products with SII standard mark, are unsafe compared to the ones with the EU standard marks. Not surprising why I've seen a lot of dangerous GPT/Supco surge protectors with SII marks.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 02:32:06 PM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Article: For the first time: A competition for the Israel Standards Institute « Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 02:35:50 PM » Author: Ash
Fake marks are fake, they are not backed by any testing or proper product design

With this said, note the difference between product quality and product safety : They are different things and the responsibility for each is different
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies