Author Topic: Phantom Factory  (Read 2478 times)
Mschulz90

View Posts
View Gallery

Phantom Factory « on: November 16, 2019, 03:42:34 PM » Author: Mschulz90
Hi,
Some weeks ago i've seen pictures of Philips T12 fluorescent, made in Quevaucamps Belgium. I've researched a lot about this factory, but i get no Informations. Really Nothing!!! No adress, no pictures of the factory, no time from-until Philips produced in Quevaucamps. Are the buildings still there or demolished?  In the Philips factory-list is this factory written by hand, why???
The only Information i found out is that im this Factory the belgian ACEC, Mazda, Lindner and Philips Fluorescent are made.
Perhaps knows sombody of the LG-Community something about this phantom-factory
Mschulz90

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Phantom Factory « Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 03:49:00 PM » Author: Mschulz90
Ja 😀
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Phantom Factory « Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 03:25:43 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
James might know something.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Phantom Factory « Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 02:18:37 AM » Author: James
The Philips factory was located on Rue Georges Mauroy in Queveaucamps.  Construction was started in 1960 as a joint venture between Philips and another giant Belgian electrical company ACEC (Ateliers de Construction Electrique de Charleroi).  ACEC was one of the early pioneers in fluorescent lighting and was strong on technology but not on the manufacturing.  Together they planned to form the new company CBRE (la Compagnie Belge Réunie d'Eclairage), whose purpose was to mass produce linear fluorescent lamps under the ACEC brand.  Later Philips gradually acquired all of CBRE as well as ACEC's lamp business which proved to be a disaster for them, since lamps used to earn stronger profits than the entire rest of all other electrical industries put together.  ACEC's remaining businesses in nuclear power plants, cables, transformers, motors, lighting fixtures etc were not nearly so strong and most of the rest of the company has since been taken over or closed down - I believe they are only still making cables today.

In 1962 the factory was opened with two TL lines, and in 1968 a third line had been added and the workforce rose to 250.  In 1970 there was another expansion to 6 lines with 450 employees.  In 1972 Philips decided to concentrate all of its global T5 fluorescent production in Belgium, and those additional lines were transferred from Roosendaal in Holland.  However this decision was reversed in 1983 when T5 moved back to Roosendaal again.  I am not certain precisely when Queveaucamps closed down but suspect it may have been around this time.  

Afterwards the site was taken over by the Germany company Trevira who manufactured polyester yarn for automotive interior fabrics, and that factory also closed down in 2010.  I am not sure if the building is still there, but in a couple of weeks I have to drive to Tournai which is very close so I will make a small detour through Queveaucamps and see what is still remaining!

Sources of info online: see pages 174-175 at https://www.persee.fr/doc/geoca_0035-113x_1968_num_43_2_2627

Most other info comes from three books published about the history of Philips Roosendaal.  Since that was the Philips TL Mother Factory with responsibility for all fluorescent production globally, these books also provide a lot of information about its interactions with the other Philips fluorescent plants, especially the machines built at Roosendaal which were sent to equip the other factories such as Queveaucamps.  These books are not online but you can buy them quite cheaply, although they are all in Dutch (aber wenn du bist Deutsch, ist das vermütlich noch ziemlich gut zu verstehen!):
- 50 Jaar Philipslicht in Roosendaal, Jubileumuitgave 1948-1998
- 60 Jaar Philips Roosendaal, Waar blijft de tijd, 2008
- Licht op een Veranderende Stad, publ. de Ghulden Roos, 2015
The info in these three Philips books often contradicts the other Belgian book about the manufacturing in Tournai region, and they are surely a more accurate reference.  Therefore some points in my summary above are different than you will read in the link online.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 02:24:24 AM by James » Logged
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Phantom Factory « Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 02:02:06 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
As usual James has come up with the goods, his knowledge is an invaluable resource for LG.!  ;D

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Mschulz90

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Phantom Factory « Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 06:43:45 PM » Author: Mschulz90
Hi James, thank you for your informations
Wow, when i read this i thought you have worked there .
I've looked now with the adress on google street view and it looks like the building is still there. It looks like they don't had a own glasstube-factory like Roosendaal or Chalon/Saone.
From 1960 until mid/end of the eighties is not a long time for a factory.

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Phantom Factory « Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 05:27:13 PM » Author: James
No problem, I am always pleased when anyone is interested in the places and people that created the lamps in our collections and I do think this info should be better preserved.
Today I drove through Queveaucamps and indeed it seems the site is still there.  I would agree that no glass was made.  You can also find online a 1970s document that lists every Philips factory, site and subsidiary company around the world and this does not mention there being a Glass division here.  See Item 39 on Page 37 at this link: https://respubca.home.xs4all.nl/pdf/philipswereldwijd.pdf
Alex

View Posts
View Gallery

feel free to ask questions

Re: Phantom Factory « Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 02:18:05 PM » Author: Alex
Okay, interesting. The last time I drove to Belgium I was looking in Queveaucamps if I could find something that could be somehow related to the fluorescent plant, but I haven´t found anything. But Also haven´t exempted to find something because they are closed down/ not active anymore and to find by look one specific plant and that tp recognise it that it is thane you are looking for is almost impossible...

Glück auf ⚒️

magslight

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Phantom Factory « Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 07:24:37 PM » Author: magslight
Very interessting theme. I have some Lindner tubes from there. My latest one is from 1981. Can it be they used there in Queveaucamps different end caps for the lamps? Got some ads from ACEC for Germany with all Philips caps unless the german version.
@James: The list is really great. I have some old starters from the Aachen factory (plastic housing) and some with metal housing, but they have no code and nothing about made in Holland. Could they be from Aachen too?
migette1

View Posts
View Gallery

Peter

migette1
Re: Phantom Factory « Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 08:53:54 AM » Author: migette1
I add to the list Thankyou James without you what would we do. History has always been an interest in the hobby perhaps because of my years and remembering seeing so many things in my younger years nice to know someone (James) who would give a clear answer thank you again.

Interested in the history of electric lighting and incandescent in particular and neon glow lamps.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies