Author Topic: EV conversion  (Read 5142 times)
xelareverse

View Posts
View Gallery

EV conversion « on: October 18, 2017, 09:10:51 PM » Author: xelareverse
Right now I'm making a bit of money so I can convert a car to Electric. I've got my eye on a Chevy Cavalier since it's only $300 and it's a tiny car which means it's not heavy. The only problem I see is where the batteries would go. I want to use one net gain warp 11 motor. Thoughts on the idea?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 09:13:11 PM by xelareverse » Logged
xelareverse

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: EV conversion « Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 10:00:10 PM » Author: xelareverse
The Cavalier got sold, but this is cool
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: EV conversion « Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 02:37:04 AM » Author: dor123
I think it is impossible to convert a gasoline or a diesel vehicle to an electric vehicle.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: EV conversion « Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 04:46:03 AM » Author: funkybulb
@ dor a car or a truck is always being modded all the
Time here  in the states  as long as car is functional
To pass state inpections and have a  Vin number
To  register the car.  It might fresk out the inspector
Thought this car came in weired  sounded
And also some indpection componet is missing
And eleminated  if converted to EV.  It eleminated
The exhust system cause EV conversion dont have
One.  2nd as long as headlights unmodfed and all
The other important  parts of car is funtional
Badically ditching the gasoline engine and droping
In electric motor in it place.. only problem is i see is limited driving range.

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: EV conversion « Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 05:25:34 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
Interesting, I remember finding information about someone converting a Toyota Hilux here in Australia with an electric motor.

HERE is the website. An interesting read.
xelareverse

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: EV conversion « Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 07:11:51 AM » Author: xelareverse
It's not impossible, look at this  https://youtu.be/cjQtrysPzVI
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: EV conversion « Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 11:54:24 AM » Author: Lumex120
Once I get enough money, I plan on doing the same thing. My family used to have a 1999 Geo Metro that would have been perfect, but then it got totaled (someone tried driving it through water that looked shallower than it actually was after a storm). We got rid of it after that, but now I am regretting it. Also, do you know a good source of high power DC motors? There is only one website I know of but they have only one motor that would work.
http://www.electricmotorsport.com/ev-parts/motors/brushed-motors/sm300.html

Unofficial LG Discord

xelareverse

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: EV conversion « Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 07:00:08 AM » Author: xelareverse
Once I get enough money, I plan on doing the same thing. My family used to have a 1999 Geo Metro that would have been perfect, but then it got totaled (someone tried driving it through water that looked shallower than it actually was after a storm). We got rid of it after that, but now I am regretting it. Also, do you know a good source of high power DC motors? There is only one website I know of but they have only one motor that would work.
http://www.electricmotorsport.com/ev-parts/motors/brushed-motors/sm300.html

http://evwest.com/catalog/
xelareverse

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: EV conversion « Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 07:02:30 AM » Author: xelareverse
I'm going to go see this on Friday because the sellers of the other cars I wanted stopped replying
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: EV conversion « Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 11:58:24 AM » Author: Medved
What I remember from participating in an EV conversion (Trabant 601Kombi; format known as Station wagon) in the early 90's in Europe:
Any vehicle needs certification of road worthiness. Normally for a mass produced vehicles (modification; e.g. LPG conversion) the certificate is issued for the given car model or group of models. These are very thorough and involve e.g. the famous crash testing  of the engineering samples, etc.
An individual conversion certificate is possible to get, it is way simpler (obviously no crash test requirement or similar), but in the real life only for build/mod that has no mass produced equivalent on the market. At that time no ev's were available, so an EV conversion was possible to get certified. But I doubt a complete new design would ever be possible to approve - just because the schassis availability on the market.
The thing was not only the engine, but it required quite extensive structural analysis (if the frame is able to support the weight of the new components,...), in our case it means e.g. the maximum speed limit was reduced from the original 108km/h to 60km/h, because the batteries were heavy and the vehicle had the original brakes and a few other similar limitations.
In other words quite a lot of "paperwork", even before the conversion even started (the plans were subject to approvals)... Of course, at the end was quite extensive check, aimed mainly on if the actual vehicle and its mods conforms to the approved plans.

So just doing some home made conversion and then expecting to pass an inspection and get it registered - no way, forget it (at least in Europe).

Of course, another story would be, if someone had type-certification on some conversion kit (but that certification would be valid only for given list of models), then you need just a certified (by the kit certification holder) mechanic to do the conversion and then a brief technical check. But I'm not aware of any such conversion kit existing on the market - the obvious reason is the expense of the materials for the conversion, the expense of the type certification process, against the sold volume of such kits and cost of a brand new mass made EV's - it just won't pay off...

No more selfballasted c***

Aveoguy22
Re: EV conversion « Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 02:54:06 AM » Author: Aveoguy22
I'm going to go see this on Friday because the sellers of the other cars I wanted stopped replying

not to kill your enthusiasm, but with the vehicle having 290k on it i wouldnt expect the trans to have too many miles left in it.  most people dont care for the trans with the same regularity as they do with the engine.  it may have only seen one fluid change in the whole 290k it has on it.  at $300 i wouldnt even expect it to shift properly.  transmission failure is the main killer of older vehicles, along with rust
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: EV conversion « Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 03:32:58 AM » Author: Lodge
But converting to EV you don't need the transmission, just use Pulse width modulation control of the motor, electrics are direct drive a typical tire at 840 RPM is moving a car at 60 miles an hour, and 840 RPM is nothing for an electric motor and 100 mph is only 1400 RPM, and also doing it this way makes if easier to use regenerative braking systems as well..

And if you get it for $300 a transmission is only $75 at a wrecker and about 4 hours of work to install another one if you plan on using the transmission..
Aveoguy22
Re: EV conversion « Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 04:05:48 AM » Author: Aveoguy22
But converting to EV you don't need the transmission, just use Pulse width modulation control of the motor, electrics are direct drive a typical tire at 840 RPM is moving a car at 60 miles an hour, and 840 RPM is nothing for an electric motor and 100 mph is only 1400 RPM, and also doing it this way makes if easier to use regenerative braking systems as well..

And if you get it for $300 a transmission is only $75 at a wrecker and about 4 hours of work to install another one if you plan on using the transmission..

with that one you would almost certainly need the trans.  being FWD i there would be no way to do it within reason (and extensive modification) without changing the hubs to hubmotors.  i cant imagine what that would cost.
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: EV conversion « Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 04:35:56 AM » Author: Lodge
Not that I have done it, but they could mount two motors in place of the transaxel and use a CV joint and a modified half shaft, but your right it will be expensive, even if you use the tranny in the car and a single motor it's still going to be expensive, but there is a weight saving in removing it so you can get a few more miles / charge and save money because you won't need the extra batteries to haul around a few hundred pounds of a transmission and you will also get less energy loss because an automotive transmission is not the most efficient thing, some will have up to a 40% loss between the input to the output..
Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: EV conversion « Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 04:46:01 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
Why not buy a Nissan Leaf?
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies