Author Topic: Newbie needs help big time!  (Read 3011 times)
shortee
Newbie needs help big time! « on: July 10, 2008, 07:27:47 AM » Author: shortee
 ??? Hey this is my first time to hook up a light fixture. I am trying to get a 100 watt compact fluorescent going. Do I need a ballast or can I just wire to a plug that will carry the voltage? It's just one mogul socket compact fluorescent with 100 watts. I seriously have never done anything like tis before. Was hoping somebody could give me some info and it would be much appreciated.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Newbie needs help big time! « Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 01:55:32 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
Hello there, welcome to lighting-gallery.net...seems today this page is not busy...as it usually is very active...

Sure we can help you, perhaps you have brand name, model number, and some info you can find? Does it have voltage, amps, hz information on it?

Let me know and I will be MORE than happy to help you!

-Jace
Admin #3 of Lighting-Gallery.net

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

shortee
Re: Newbie needs help big time! « Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 03:32:09 PM » Author: shortee
Hello there, welcome to lighting-gallery.net...seems today this page is not busy...as it usually is very active...

Sure we can help you, perhaps you have brand name, model number, and some info you can find? Does it have voltage, amps, hz information on it?

Let me know and I will be MORE than happy to help you!

-Jace
Admin #3 of Lighting-Gallery.net

Hi Jace. Thanks I really need some help. I spent a few hours at the hardware store this morning just to realize they know as much as I do  :P   The bulb that I want to make a lamp with is a 100 watt compact fluorescent with 6500K with a mogul screw. I don't recall the manufacturer but it is available at Home Depot.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Newbie needs help big time! « Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 10:07:48 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
Sorry was on vacation, anyway is there anywhere on the box that says "works on ______ Ballast" or something like "Replaces watts incandescent" or something???

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

shortee
Re: Newbie needs help big time! « Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 04:22:08 PM » Author: shortee
Sorry was on vacation, anyway is there anywhere on the box that says "works on ______ Ballast" or something like "Replaces watts incandescent" or something???

The bulb has the voltage and watts and the color spectrum - 5500???  :-\

Do you know what kind of ballast I would need or where to get one if I need one? It's CFL.

It has a mogul screw and does not say it is a replacement for incandescents.

They are really bright interesting lights if you have seen them. The tubes are cool. I think if somebody could make a knot or pretzel out of them that would be fun too. Anyways I really need it to grow tomatoes. I got sick from salmonilla and it scared the crap out of me.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 04:25:19 PM by shortee » Logged
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Newbie needs help big time! « Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 06:30:23 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
There are tips....I can give...

The high wattage ones that I know that require ballasts are

Lights of America Fluorix (sp?) usually they are 65 watt but I think higher are available....but they work only on specific fixtures designed for the lamps. The fixtures has ballast inside...

Lightbulbs that looks like the following

like this would simply be screwed into the mains on 120 volts (just plug it in)

Now there are ones that says "Screws in 175 watt Mercury Vapor fixtures" are those that works on ballasts that were designed for mercury vapor fixtures....

More information would be helpful and I can do search or contact someone (like one of members and see if they can help) I wish I worked in the store where you found the bulb and I would have been more than happy to help!

Hope you are OK!!!

shortee
Re: Newbie needs help big time! « Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 01:38:10 AM » Author: shortee
There are tips....I can give...

The high wattage ones that I know that require ballasts are

Lights of America Fluorix (sp?) usually they are 65 watt but I think higher are available....but they work only on specific fixtures designed for the lamps. The fixtures has ballast inside...

Lightbulbs that looks like the following

like this would simply be screwed into the mains on 120 volts (just plug it in)

Now there are ones that says "Screws in 175 watt Mercury Vapor fixtures" are those that works on ballasts that were designed for mercury vapor fixtures....

More information would be helpful and I can do search or contact someone (like one of members and see if they can help) I wish I worked in the store where you found the bulb and I would have been more than happy to help!

Hope you are OK!!!

Hi I am just kind of lost about it in general. I really appreciate someone giving me info since it is really hard to find on the web. Yes it looks just like that one in the picture. I don't know where to get a fixture for it and I remember the name of the company is just like the one you said. The 100 watts is good for growing plants at least that is what somebody told me. I guess if I could get a ballast that it would work? Somebody else said sometimes they have a ballast built into the bulb's body. It's kind of confusing the way they make them.

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Newbie needs help big time! « Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 12:43:51 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
I'm forwarding a message from a friend

Quote from: jfrog
Mogul based fixtures aren't made anymore and only CFLs that come in mogul for 120v (not fluorex) are those oversized ones used for growing plants, hope this helps!   

shortee
Re: Newbie needs help big time! « Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 02:23:46 PM » Author: shortee
I'm forwarding a message from a friend

Quote from: jfrog
Mogul based fixtures aren't made anymore and only CFLs that come in mogul for 120v (not fluorex) are those oversized ones used for growing plants, hope this helps!   

Hi yes that is what I need it for. They still make mogul sockets. What do you mean by fixture? Is it possible to hook up the mogul sockets to a ballast designed for the CFL? I am so sorry this is unbelievably confusing for me.  :(
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Newbie needs help big time! « Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 12:01:38 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
one of those will require a separate ballasts   but those that has BIG bottom plastic housing does not need an exernal ballast, usually screw it in the 120 volts mains....

shortee
Re: Newbie needs help big time! « Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 11:54:01 AM » Author: shortee
one of those will require a separate ballasts   but those that has BIG bottom plastic housing does not need an exernal ballast, usually screw it in the 120 volts mains....

Yeah those ones with the big bottoms or the self ballasted ones are really high priced for my pockets. Is there any way I can wire an external ballast to the regular bulb? I think in the end that would be more cost efficient since the bulbs are only eighteen dollars. This CFL stuff seems fairly new too. I can't find any decent info on the web and nobody at stores know what I am talking about but obviously they make stuff like that for them. Dude I don't know.
TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Newbie needs help big time! « Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 12:15:03 PM » Author: TudorWhiz
Home Depot sells fixtures for those that does not have ballasts in the lamps.....those fixtures actually come with the lamps.......but are they going to work on plants? Not sure

shortee
Re: Newbie needs help big time! « Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 06:36:04 PM » Author: shortee
Home Depot sells fixtures for those that does not have ballasts in the lamps.....those fixtures actually come with the lamps.......but are they going to work on plants? Not sure

??? me neither.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies