Author Topic: Bad Batches of Bulbs, Does That Sometimes Happen?  (Read 4255 times)
DetroitTwoStroke

View Posts
View Gallery

Luke

Re: Bad Batches of Bulbs, Does That Sometimes Happen? « Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 03:12:08 AM » Author: DetroitTwoStroke
Aero-Tech buys their bulbs from China. They closed the U.S. factory in 2016.

Pride and quality workmanship should lie behind manufacturing, not greed.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Bad Batches of Bulbs, Does That Sometimes Happen? « Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 10:45:50 AM » Author: Rommie
CEB1993, normally A/C's have a snubber built in so while they may output small line voltage variations they are normally kept to a pretty safe voltage so they don't damage anything, and yes 120 volt lights are very bright at 240 and they only last minutes and some even turn into arc lights before failing... 

Tell me about it, I've put 110/120V bulbs onto 240V by mistake here as well, they usually last 10 seconds or less before they pop  :D
50V lamps are even better  :D

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Bad Batches of Bulbs, Does That Sometimes Happen? « Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 08:29:10 PM » Author: CEB1993
Tell me about it, I've put 110/120V bulbs onto 240V by mistake here as well, they usually last 10 seconds or less before they pop  :D
50V lamps are even better  :D

I would be afraid of those exploding  :o  I've seen a video of a 120 volt 60 watt bulb on 240 Volts.  It's nearly twice as bright and has a severely reduced lifespan.  I think the rough service bulbs with longer filaments would endure double voltage for a longer time.  I'm sure a pressurized halogen lamp would explode, violently.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Bad Batches of Bulbs, Does That Sometimes Happen? « Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 09:02:44 AM » Author: Rommie
I would be afraid of those exploding  :o  I've seen a video of a 120 volt 60 watt bulb on 240 Volts.  It's nearly twice as bright and has a severely reduced lifespan.  I think the rough service bulbs with longer filaments would endure double voltage for a longer time.  I'm sure a pressurized halogen lamp would explode, violently.

They don't explode, they just glow very bright for a few seconds  ;D

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Bad Batches of Bulbs, Does That Sometimes Happen? « Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 04:00:45 PM » Author: CEB1993
I've never heard of an incandescent lasting 20,000 hours.  I bet its a large tradeoff for brightness with a 100 watt version probably emitting the lumens of an ordinary 60 watt bulb.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies