Author Topic: Are there any lamps that use T3 halogens without an enclosure?  (Read 2094 times)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Are there any lamps that use T3 halogens without an enclosure? « on: November 25, 2017, 09:53:34 PM » Author: CEB1993
I'm curious, other than the torch lamps, are there any lamps that use an unprotected T3 halogen bulb?  I can't imagine a T3 halogen being exposed like many fluorescent tubes.  Can T3 halogens be used for other purposes like heating food or drying materials?

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there any lamps that use T3 halogens without an enclosure? « Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 02:08:20 PM » Author: Ash
Thats one http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=0&pid=109038

It is intended for outdoors, makes me wonder what happens if a splash of rain hits a hot lamp

T3 Halogens (specially made for the application) have been used as light bar for photocopiers (before CCFLs), as fuser heater for photocopiers, as IR radiator lamps and maybe other uses
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Are there any lamps that use T3 halogens without an enclosure? « Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 08:27:05 PM » Author: CEB1993
Thats one http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pos=0&pid=109038

It is intended for outdoors, makes me wonder what happens if a splash of rain hits a hot lamp

T3 Halogens (specially made for the application) have been used as light bar for photocopiers (before CCFLs), as fuser heater for photocopiers, as IR radiator lamps and maybe other uses

That seems like a really risky design.  I'm sure modern building codes prohibit exposed halogen lamps as seen it this fixture.  Any number of mishaps could occur with such an outdoor flood light such as fires started by falling leaves, or rain hitting the running bulb resulting in an explosive EOL and ejecting extremely hot glass into the environment.  I would not be comfortable using one of those outdoors.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there any lamps that use T3 halogens without an enclosure? « Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 02:00:39 AM » Author: Ash
Apparently safe enough if used with good quality lamps that dont explode on their own. Lamp explosion from a raindrop can't set leaves on fire as they are wet from the same rain, but it leaves you in the dark with Quartz sharpnel on the Earth
dischargecraze

View Posts
View Gallery

Tom

Re: Are there any lamps that use T3 halogens without an enclosure? « Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 12:30:55 PM » Author: dischargecraze
Yes! These are common on certain floorlamps that shine to the ceiling.
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Are there any lamps that use T3 halogens without an enclosure? « Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 10:01:35 PM » Author: CEB1993
I've seen lots of those torch lamps, often equipped with a dimmer switch.  The newest ones have a cage over top of the fixture to prevent items from coming in contact with the extremely hot T3 halogen bulb.  GE came out with some circular retrofit fluorescents to replace the 300 watt halogen T3's, back when there was an epidemic of accidents involving the hot halogen lamps. 

I think I would choose the heat of a T3 halogen over the toxic mercury of a fluorescent in a torch lamp.  I could always dim down the halogen, too.

Stop the lamp bans!

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Are there any lamps that use T3 halogens without an enclosure? « Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 01:32:18 AM » Author: Lodge
I've seen them used on a restaurant pass window to keep the food hot, I don't know if they originally had a glass cover over them or not but the one I seen it on had them exposed and I think they should of been a quartz heater type light as well but who knows I was only there having dinner, and there was on glass in my food...   
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there any lamps that use T3 halogens without an enclosure? « Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 04:10:32 AM » Author: Ash
I think I would choose the heat of a T3 halogen over the toxic mercury of a fluorescent in a torch lamp
Eat tuna much ? In a week you get more Mercury in your body from tuna vs. what remains in the room from one broken Fluorescent lamp (of which only a tiny fraction will ever get in your body)
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there any lamps that use T3 halogens without an enclosure? « Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 11:48:33 AM » Author: Medved
I think I would choose the heat of a T3 halogen over the toxic mercury of a fluorescent in a torch lamp.  I could always dim down the halogen, too.

Well, do you thing the bromine (released when the halogen breaks) is any better? Mainly if you ever plan to have a family with kids...
Don't forget most of the mercury remains trapped on the metal remains of the fluorescent, but most of the bromine will really evaporate...

No more selfballasted c***

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Are there any lamps that use T3 halogens without an enclosure? « Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 08:29:27 PM » Author: CEB1993
I know large amounts of bromine or any other material are harmful, but I don't think one bulb breaking would make me have to break out the hazmat suit  ;D  I admit, I have broken a CFL before, but I cleaned it up promptly and didn't have any hallucinations, vomiting, or loss of contact with reality :)  In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have used the vacuum which probably emitted glass and mercury particles into the air. 

My greatest concern is getting burnt or starting a fire in the unlikely event of a halogen lamp rupturing.  I've heard that some unprotected halogen lamps can emit harmful levels of UV light.  Is that true?

Stop the lamp bans!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there any lamps that use T3 halogens without an enclosure? « Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 04:39:43 AM » Author: Medved
I know large amounts of bromine or any other material are harmful, but I don't think one bulb breaking would make me have to break out the hazmat suit 

Well, exactly the same applies for the mercury in the fluorescents.
The mercury problem is not that much from lamps broken at home, but on places, where the broken lamps concentrate. And with all the mercury management during production. The same is valid for the radioactive aids used in some lighting products as well...

My greatest concern is getting burnt or starting a fire in the unlikely event of a halogen lamp rupturing.  I've heard that some unprotected halogen lamps can emit harmful levels of UV light.  Is that true?

Yes, the filaments are indeed running so hot, they do emit in the UV as well. And that emission exceeds the limits considered as "safe". But most present commercial products below 500W use doping in the bulb material designed to absorb this UV, so the remaining emission stays well below the limits. Problems could be with either high wattage products (1kW and above), or with specialty industrial lamps These halogens are the most accurate (in the terms of the output and its repeatability) UV source available at any time attainable for DYI lithography and similar processes (PCB making,...; only recently being chased away by the LEDs..., or by the sunlight in the summer time).

I agree, the fire risk is the main concern there. And I think the completely open fixtures were effectively banned very short after halogen introduction on the market (the safety standards required some form of a cover; but a hard glass or steel net shield was enough). All todays lanterns are equipped with at least a shield above the lamp, but it is true, that component use to be either lost or forgotten to be installed by the owners...

No more selfballasted c***

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Are there any lamps that use T3 halogens without an enclosure? « Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 12:35:11 PM » Author: CEB1993
I have that 1000 watt Philips IODE halogen, but I don't leave it on for long enough to expose myself to excessive UV rays.  As for my 300 and 500 watt T3's I use those in a small work lamp with a glass cover that further reduces UV rays if the bulbs are already doped. 

I would never use a tanning bed, but I know that they use UV emitting fluorescent tubes.  I can imagine a tanning bed with halogen lights would literally cook you :o  I'm fair skinned and have gotten enough sunburn in my life to learn how to be careful.

Stop the lamp bans!

Beta 5

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there any lamps that use T3 halogens without an enclosure? « Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 01:40:15 PM » Author: Beta 5
I have that 1000 watt Philips IODE halogen, but I don't leave it on for long enough to expose myself to excessive UV rays.  As for my 300 and 500 watt T3's I use those in a small work lamp with a glass cover that further reduces UV rays if the bulbs are already doped. 

I would never use a tanning bed, but I know that they use UV emitting fluorescent tubes.  I can imagine a tanning bed with halogen lights would literally cook you :o  I'm fair skinned and have gotten enough sunburn in my life to learn how to be careful.

If that's the tubular one with the E40 cap, the glass outer bulb will block the UV anyway, same as SON/MH lamps.

Fluorescent Forever :lfl:

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Are there any lamps that use T3 halogens without an enclosure? « Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 02:31:02 PM » Author: CEB1993
If that's the tubular one with the E40 cap, the glass outer bulb will block the UV anyway, same as SON/MH lamps.

Cool, thanks Beta 5!  Good to know for as bright as that big halogen lamp is, the outer glass blocks UV rays.  

I think many kinds of glass block UV rays, including glass in greenhouses.  I've heard that plants grown in greenhouses are subject to more diseases because the UV rays from the sun that are supposed to kill their harmful bacteria are filtered out by the glass roof and walls.  As a result, lighting companies are experimenting with fluorescent tubes that emit UV rays for use in greenhouses.  

Stop the lamp bans!

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there any lamps that use T3 halogens without an enclosure? « Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 12:30:19 AM » Author: tolivac
You can get UV emitting grow lights from most plant light suppliers.They emit the three main UV radiations.There are warnings on these lights that you must wear eye and skin protection in the area if they are on.Most growers suggest turning these off in you are in the area.Then use a safe form of lighting while you are there.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies