Author Topic: Making a SOX standard lamp  (Read 891 times)
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Making a SOX standard lamp « on: November 28, 2017, 01:17:42 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Hi Folks,

Just thought I would post to say that I'm going to restore a beta 5 SOX lantern so that we can have it as a standard lamp in our flat. Ria bought one initially but the control gear had all been ripped out, so it was necessary to get a second one. This duly arrived and all the internals are there this time, although a new capacitor will have to be put in. The casing on the new lantern isn't in as good a nick, but nothing a lot of elbow grease won't cure. I'll post updates when I have them. The big thing I have to get done is making a swan neck pole for it to go on, so I need to find a local engineering firm to help me do it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, in particular I need to get a new seal for the bowl.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Making a SOX standard lamp « Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 03:09:11 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Thanks for that info, I was all set to approach an engineering company that I worked for a few years ago but unfortunately due to the down turn in oil prices they went to the wall.

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Making a SOX standard lamp « Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 07:42:41 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Check with AC Ford http://www.acforddudley.co.uk/

Or failing that, with anyone who can bend pipes, if you aren't going for special shapes

A bit far away for us Ash, I'll try a few of the local fabrication firms that do similar work to the company that I used to work for. I know that they could have easily done the work. I would like to talk face to face with the fabricator as I have difficulty communicating at times. But AC Ford could have something off the shelf we could use. So we'll get in touch and see what they say.

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Making a SOX standard lamp « Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 07:27:06 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
The seal is definitely perished rubber, and I'll remember to take photos of it as I go.

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies