Author Topic: Abbreviation and Slang  (Read 1964 times)
rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Abbreviation and Slang « on: August 26, 2009, 07:56:34 PM » Author: rjluna2
Here are the list of abbreviation and slang I frequently see in this site:

MV = Mercury Vapor.
MH = Metal Halide.
HPS = High Pressure Sodium.
LPS = Low Pressure Sodium.
EOL = End of Life.
BT = Bulge Tube
ED = Ellipse Dimple
E = Ellipse
BT = Bent Tip

My own abbreviation and slang I could use on this site.

The light collapsed = When the light could no longer sustain the current and it fails.  This term I frequently mention with HPS lights.
The light is flickering rapidly = This term I used with rapid start fixture with EOL fluorescent light that attempt to restart the light in high frequency (60 Hz become more pronounced).

There are question about the abbreviation and slang word I also see, but not understand what that means.

Rectify
BR
PAR
abbreviation for torpedo shape

I'll add more comments when I come across with more question/answer.  You are welcome to add more on this topic.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 05:05:57 PM by rjluna2 » Logged

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

TudorWhiz

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Abbreviation and Slang « Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 08:52:34 AM » Author: TudorWhiz
Dude, this is such a great idea....perhaps we admins can together make a small quick "cheat sheet" where it shows a nicely designed list details of each "slang" or "abbreviations"!

Sometimes we have some slangs on manufacture names

Such as

"Fake Westy" or which I prefer "Faux Westy" is A brand name called "Westinghouse" which is bought by Abco, which means the name "Westinghouse" used to be owned by Westinghouse which Philips bought, then apparently sold off to Abco.

"CH" usually some people call it China...but others used it as "Crouse Hinds" I personally don't use this...but for Crouse Hinds, my slang is "C-Hinds"

"C-Hinds" short for Crouse Hinds

"CMH" Cermaic Metal Halide which is simply Metal Halide with arc tube made out of ceramic insteand of Quartz.

"HPMV" I have seem some members use this as "High Pressure Mercury Vapor"

"QMH" Quartz Metal Halide what else ;-)

"Mercs" short for Mercury Vapor

"GE" short for General Electric

"LM" Line Materials

"Blink Happy" blinking a lot in a fun way (term is mostly for preheat fluorecent starting up)

I'll think of some more, I like the idea of this!

For pictures of my streetlight collection and other streetlight pictures with some various pictures that are not in this website, please visit http://www.galleryoflights.org/  under GullWhiz

Administrator of Galleryoflights.org

Alights

View Posts
View Gallery

USA (120V 60HZ)

Re: Abbreviation and Slang « Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 02:35:35 AM » Author: Alights
This is a brilliant idea, I think it could be a great lighting quick searchable dictionary. All the members could add a piece or something. and we could have a set standard to avoid confusion. or even have tags on the words that pop out when the cursor moves over it.  ( I think that would be too involved and complex) it would help beginers I mean people that dont know a lot of terms.
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Abbreviation and Slang « Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 01:07:15 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
On the rare occurence that i refer to a Xenon Arc lamp I sometimes use the abbreviation "XE".

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

Re: Abbreviation and Slang « Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 01:39:13 PM » Author: Flurofan96
SBMV - Self Ballasted Mercury lamp

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Abbreviation and Slang « Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 09:43:33 PM » Author: CEB1993
Here's a few that could be relevant to my kinds of posts:

WM-Watt Miser

SW-Soft White

LL-Long Life

IF-Inside Frost

T3LH-T3 Linear Halogen
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 09:45:15 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Abbreviation and Slang « Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 03:40:41 AM » Author: Lodge
@ rjluna2

Rectify :> 'rectification', this happens mainly in florescent lights when they run out of emission material on the cathode or they have an open filament, and when one filament (cathode) becomes significantly weaker than the other it cause a DC offset which will eventually cause the ballast and/or lamp to fail, and you get flickering and uneven light output and blackends.

BR :> Bulged Reflector (commonly used in recessed light fixtures)

PAR :> Parabolic Aluminized Reflector (commonly used in outdoor household security lights)

Torpedo (tubular) :> T if there is no tip and if they have an angular tip they are a TA
funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Abbreviation and Slang « Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 10:03:02 AM » Author: funkybulb
Airbulbs-  when air enter the bulbs due to bad seals
Often leaving smokey apperence on the glass of
Incandescent lamps

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Abbreviation and Slang « Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 07:19:54 PM » Author: sol
Relating to fluorescent :
Air poisoned
Mercury starved

Also pertaining to flicker, I use the terms hard flicker (LED) all the way to soft flicker (incandescent). Discharge lighting (mostly on magnetic gear) have different levels of "flicker hardness" depending on the type. Uncoated HID has harder flicker than fluorescent, for example.

Some abbreviations, such as MBF, MBU, MV, HPS, SOX, LED, are very common and standard in the lighting industry. Others are more specific to members of LG (there's another one !)
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies