Author Topic: Lighting in old grocery stores  (Read 3271 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Lighting in old grocery stores « on: January 20, 2018, 09:50:08 AM » Author: Cole D.
My new Publix store has all strip lighting. I think it's fluorescent but might be LED. The old store which was from the early 60s originally had OLD strip lights that said "Southern Lighting" on them and had a V shape in the middle for the wiring/ballast and the tubes were on each side. When they remodeled in the late 90s, they were replaced with 2x2 "egg crate" diffuser fixtures which had torpedo shaped bulbs in them. Not sure what kind. Interestingly the lights that were between aisles (over the shelves) had regular 2x2 fixtures with prismatic panels and three tubes in them. The front lower ceiling area had fluroescent wrap strip lighting, and the entry area had 2x4 surface mounted flurorescents that actually were there before the remodel (I think the entryway had been redone in the 80s).

I remember during the remodel, seeing part of the store with the new 2x2 ceiling tiles, new lights and square diffusers and the other part still had the old 2x4 tiles, lighting and the big silver round air diffusers. And each time less of the old ceiling remained until it was all replaced with new.

Anyway that store was demolished for what the new store has. A Publix in another town that was from the 80s had big round recessed fluorescent lights in random parts of the store, I was never sure why. Also yet another store that since closed had a big fluorescent panel area over the checkouts and I think the beauty supply area.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Bert

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Lighting in old grocery stores « Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 05:25:44 PM » Author: Bert
The local grocery store is kind of a mixture. The old part of the store is mostly 2 lamp F96T12 strips. I did replace part of one row with some gently used F32T8 strips and at the same time fixed a bunch of the slimlines that had ballasts out. I relamped some with sylvania F96T12/941's, what a difference those make over the deluxe halophosphors.

There is also an variety store addition that is lit with F32T8 strips.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies