Author Topic: LED's on roads in Hawaii County, HI  (Read 2453 times)
boiler1011

View Posts
View Gallery

LED's on roads in Hawaii County, HI « on: March 26, 2017, 12:33:21 PM » Author: boiler1011
I did a quick search with the tool on here and didn't really see much about it, but find this to be interesting.

Last September we went to Hawaii (Big Island) for the first time and I immediately noticed how many low pressure sodium fixtures there were everywhere. The other thing I noticed were the STRANGE LED streetlights they have. I have attached pictures below. No, your eyes aren't fooling you, and the camera wasn't having a seizure. These things are the color of yellow gatorade. To me they look a very healthy shade of yellow-green, but I can see how some people say they are more green than yellow, or yellow than green. However you see them, they certainly aren't a "normal" color temp, and I think they are pretty neat! They are actually really bright too, even for an LED. I just came back from another trip there today, and have attached one of a couple pics I snapped trying to capture the odd color.

I did some research after I came back from my first trip, and found out the reasoning behind the slime. Apparently this color temperature doesn't impact operations at the nearby observatories on Mauna Kea....

http://bigislandnow.com/2012/08/28/shift-to-high-tech-streetlights-saves-dark-skies-money/

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 02:32:52 AM by boiler1011 » Logged
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: LED's on roads in Hawaii County, HI « Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 01:17:25 PM » Author: Lodge
Here is some more reading as to why they like LPS when dealing with astronomy http://www.nofs.navy.mil/about_NOFS/darksky/LPSnet/whyastronomyneedsLPS.pdf They basically like any light that they can filter and if those LED's are easy to filter and don't contain blue light they will be filtered the same as an LPS within the telescope and allowing them more range in the visible spectrum for there measurements.

Blue light also attracts insects like moths so by removing it they impact the environment less and aquatic life also needs less blue light and this is big part of there tourism industry so economically it makes sense as well, that and power costs from what I've heard are high on the island so LED will help make a difference to the taxpayer, now I know supporting LED's might be fighting words but
A. we are not the only thing living on this planet
B. they are not forcing it on you outside of these areas.
C. I want them to find alien life.
D. LPS lights are also awesome, in fact I have both a FCO LED fixture which is PIR switched and an LPS FCO 18 watt fixture used outdoors in a courteous manner to the other things living around me...

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: LED's on roads in Hawaii County, HI « Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 01:42:31 PM » Author: dor123
I've never heard about high brightness lime green LEDs. I think they are still based on blue InGaN + lime green phosphor, which blocks all of the blue light from the main emitter, and hence the color. lime green LEDs, are usually low brightness LEDs for indicators.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED's on roads in Hawaii County, HI « Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 03:28:45 PM » Author: Ash
A. we are not the only thing living on this planet
B. they are not forcing it on you outside of these areas.
C. I want them to find alien life

None of those arguments support or disprove LEDs specifically

Most light sources satisfy A when used responsibly. Linking LEDs specifically with eco friendliness is a misconception

Forcing an inadequatelight source on the roads and walkways means worsening of conditions to those who use them. For example, White LEDs (containing Blue) on a footpath on which peeps walk in the night before going to sleep

LPS and color LEDs satisfy C
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: LED's on roads in Hawaii County, HI « Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 03:53:07 PM » Author: Lodge
Ash, A is more about respect, sure other light sources are great, and don't get me wrong I do use them from mercury vapor, metal halide, HPS, LPS, induction, tungsten, carbon, led and others, it's more about using the correct light source for the application not so much about which technology is viewed as being better solely biased on bias but the need to look at the whole picture.  I an area with both diverse wildlife, and astronomy I'm sure there was consultation with all parties involved to find the best solution that was economically feasible, and yes while I really like LPS lights they are not the best solution to for this application long term..

And C is more questioning if there is other life out there, the universe is big and I'm curious...

About the path way, if your out walking at night, you are not sleeping so it's not really a major issue and if it was properly designed the blue light would be with in acceptable limits for safe illumination of a walkway allowing you to navigate safely with out a need for additional lighting, it was not designed for you to sleep in said walking path, most places that you would sleep at like a campsite, well the ones I visit have no lighting other then the soft glow of a coleman lantern or flashlight, or in my case a campfire is all that is needed, and I have seen some that use a LPS at the main gate..   

Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

Re: LED's on roads in Hawaii County, HI « Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 06:32:29 PM » Author: Flurofan96
Boiler 1001, are they like the colour of lime green bicycle lights that were developed before the 5mm white LED took over?

If so they could be using the same type, only 100x  brighter

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

boiler1011

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED's on roads in Hawaii County, HI « Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 12:06:40 PM » Author: boiler1011
They are more yellow than green, to me at least. I couldn't actually tell if they had filters on them, or the if golden color you could faintly see in the optics (when they are off) are just part of the actual diodes themselves.....
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED's on roads in Hawaii County, HI « Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 12:13:02 PM » Author: Ash
If there is one thats out during the night this can be tested - Shine a Blue LED in. Phosphor glows, filter does not
boiler1011

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED's on roads in Hawaii County, HI « Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 02:42:25 AM » Author: boiler1011
If there is one thats out during the night this can be tested - Shine a Blue LED in. Phosphor glows, filter does not

I'll be going back in a few short weeks. I'll try to get some better pictures, both day and night.
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: LED's on roads in Hawaii County, HI « Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 02:06:31 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
If they just put a yellow filter on white street lights I doubt the astronomers are getting any more benefit from it than they would with the SOX lamps, since ultimately if they're using white LED's in there with a yellow filter some of the other parts of the spectrum are likely getting through, In my opinion the only entity really benefiting from this is the city since they want something cheaper.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: LED's on roads in Hawaii County, HI « Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 07:08:44 PM » Author: 589
The reason the LEDs in Hawaii look yellow is because they put blue- (yellow) filters to block blue light from the fixture. I highly approve of this development and it should be done on a larger scale. I imagine it makes the glare they cast less harsh. Here's another article on it:

http://darkerview.com/wordpress/?p=4448
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 07:16:54 PM by 589 » Logged

:lps:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies