Author Topic: Anyone here a fire alarm enthusiast?  (Read 6252 times)
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Anyone here a fire alarm enthusiast? « Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 04:18:52 AM » Author: Econolite03

1 type was square with a grid on the front of maybe half inch squares. Beyond the grid there wasn't much to it other than some kind of nut and bolt in the center of the alarm.

The other kind had 2 triangular horns on their sides that faced away from each other.
Hi Jamie,

I believe the device you’re describing is the Simplex 4050 alarm. This model has a grate with small squares on the front.
Another model I should mention is the Simplex 2901-9833 alarm, which also has a square grate except with big squares on the front.

The triangular 2-way horn contraption you described, is actually a accessory that Simplex sold that is added on to the front of a existing alarm device, the accessory horn attachment is 2905-9907.
In regards to how the 4050s work, behind the front grate is a metal disc that is attached to a nut. When the alarm is sounded, the disc vibrates rapidly and the friction creates the buzzing noise.

Hope this helps! I used to be into alarms years ago.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 12:48:42 PM by Econolite03 » Logged
Desultory13
Re: Anyone here a fire alarm enthusiast? « Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 07:27:31 PM » Author: Desultory13
Hey Thanks for the information! That helps a lot!
Thinking back the alarms had to be the  Simplex 4050.
One thing that confuses me is that when I checked the link Simplex was listed as the brand but Federal Signal was shown as the manufacturer.
Are these 2 companies affiliated?
Interesting to find out how these work.
Let me tell ya these things are MONSTERS! Not in size but in SOUND!!
The idea is to get kids attention but don't terrify them!
I wonder if the 4050 is still made?
Not sure but I think the building codes nowadays requires strobes on the alarms?
LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Anyone here a fire alarm enthusiast? « Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 07:39:46 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Hey Thanks for the information! That helps a lot!
Thinking back the alarms had to be the  Simplex 4050.
One thing that confuses me is that when I checked the link Simplex was listed as the brand but Federal Signal was shown as the manufacturer.
Are these 2 companies affiliated?
Interesting to find out how these work.
Let me tell ya these things are MONSTERS! Not in size but in SOUND!!
The idea is to get kids attention but don't terrify them!
I wonder if the 4050 is still made?
Not sure but I think the building codes nowadays requires strobes on the alarms?
I would assume that Federal Signal made older Simplex alarms, and Simplex stuck their name on them.
As for the 4050, I don't believe they are made anymore. Those were mechanical, and modern alarms are electronic and have specific requirements made by the ADA, which were set sometime in the 1990s. Alarms don't have to have strobes on them if they're installed in a specific area.

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Anyone here a fire alarm enthusiast? « Reply #18 on: May 04, 2021, 08:48:47 PM » Author: Lumex120
Honestly, I kind of hate fire alarms lol. I had a really traumatizing experience with a fire drill when I was in preschool and it's stuck with me since. Whenever I'm somewhere and an alarm goes off it still makes me jump and there have been a few times I've had a panic attack from it.

Unofficial LG Discord

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Anyone here a fire alarm enthusiast? « Reply #19 on: May 05, 2021, 02:29:08 AM » Author: dor123
Here is a smoke detector in my room, that belongs to the fire alarm of my hostel:

It don't have siren however, since this is a hostel for guys with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
The fire alarm system itself is enclosed in the hostel pantry.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: Anyone here a fire alarm enthusiast? « Reply #20 on: May 05, 2021, 12:28:12 PM » Author: nogden
I'm not a collector, but I do maintain two fire alarm systems for my employer. Both are Edwards LSS4. No one else wants to maintain them because of their age, so I do it! We also have an Edwards EST2 that I sometimes work on, but is too software-centered for my likes. The LSS4s have a microprocessor but are otherwise just simple (conventional) systems.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone here a fire alarm enthusiast? « Reply #21 on: May 07, 2021, 02:34:10 AM » Author: dor123
Here are pictures of the fire alarm system and the security system of Shufersal Deal Matam:

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

icefoglights

View Posts
View Gallery

ITT Low Pressure Sodium NEMA

GoL
Re: Anyone here a fire alarm enthusiast? « Reply #22 on: May 07, 2021, 04:48:36 AM » Author: icefoglights
I have a few smoke alarms in my collection, and used to have an 1950s pull station that came out of my school, but I gave it to a friend.

My school actually used a bell system.  The older buildings had simple bells. The (at the time) newer part of the building, built in 1979, had bells with flashing red lights under them.  I think they were made by Simplex, but I'm not sure.  I think I found something on them at one point and time, the lights actually used a pair of 194 automotive bulbs wired in series, and would blink on and off while the bell rang.

01010010 01101111 01100010 01100101 01110010 01110100

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone here a fire alarm enthusiast? « Reply #23 on: May 07, 2021, 08:53:01 AM » Author: sol

It don't have siren however, since this is a hostel for guys with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Just curious, what does the alarm sound like if it doesn't have a siren?
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone here a fire alarm enthusiast? « Reply #24 on: May 07, 2021, 12:17:06 PM » Author: dor123
Only the siren near the system is activate. With the smoke detectors, there are red LED flashers at the entrance of the rooms and at the smoke detectors that flashig according to the location of the smoke.

boiler1011

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone here a fire alarm enthusiast? « Reply #25 on: May 07, 2021, 08:12:38 PM » Author: boiler1011
I have a very mild interest. I used to seek out information on the various common appliances made here in the US, but have never had anything more than a random horn/strobe I found on eBay or in trash piles. I have always been interested in the Simplex chime strobes with the single bar chime at the bottom, so I recently found a new on online and bought it as well as a strobe plate. Eventually i'd like to get an electromechanical horn and triangular bowtie projector and then I'll have everything I want. My elementary school had an entire system of Wheelock MT-24-LSMs (vertical config) set to slow whoop. Whenever the redid the building I was given an entire box of them. They might be in my parents' attic still, not sure where they all went.
boiler1011

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone here a fire alarm enthusiast? « Reply #26 on: May 07, 2021, 08:15:27 PM » Author: boiler1011
Oh also I made this lamp.

LightsoftheWest

View Posts
View Gallery

SRP for life.

streetlightian
Re: Anyone here a fire alarm enthusiast? « Reply #27 on: May 07, 2021, 08:17:10 PM » Author: LightsoftheWest
Y'all should check this out, it's awesome!

LG's #1 North American light fixture identifier

Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Anyone here a fire alarm enthusiast? « Reply #28 on: May 29, 2021, 11:24:03 PM » Author: Foxtronix
Fire alarm systems was the subject of one particular course I had in the electricity program I attended in tech school back in 2010-12.

It sparked (duhuhuh... "sparked"  :lol:) a transitory interest for those systems. At some point I had a small conventional fire alarm system working in the basement (I think I even left it on 24/7 for quite some time) and I was still planning new devices, the boxes and cables were even already installed, when came the time to move out. I still have everything in storage. Maybe one day I'll rewire it.

The fact I was able to get scrap cables and devices made this project quite fun. Namely I turned a pile of broken bells into one working unit. I think I also saved a fixed-temp heat detector with stripped terminals or missing screws, I don't remember. There's that photoelectric detector sans its base (nothing a $15 eBay purchase couldn't fix LOL) that I got the same way.

AgentHalogen_87

View Posts
View Gallery

Long Live SOX!

Re: Anyone here a fire alarm enthusiast? « Reply #29 on: July 25, 2022, 09:45:09 AM » Author: AgentHalogen_87
Yes I am. My favourite company is Apollo, least favourite Protec. Favourite tone is HI-LO, least favourite continuous.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies