Author Topic: Who here likes military Vehicles or Artillery Pieces?  (Read 946 times)
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Who here likes military Vehicles or Artillery Pieces? « on: December 18, 2017, 08:40:33 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I personally take a likeing to Tanks and FAV's My favourites are the M5 Stuart and The M22 Locust, along with the Soviet BT-7 and Tetrarch, In terms of Guns the M45 Quadmount is freaking awesome, aswell as the Soviet ZPU-2 and the German 10.5 cm FlaK 38.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

ace100w120v

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Who here likes military Vehicles or Artillery Pieces? « Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 09:02:19 PM » Author: ace100w120v
Deuce and a Halfs and 5-tons changed my life, influenced who I am as a person.

Eventually, I am hopefully picking up an original American General M923 5 ton 6x6.  I'm a broke college student right now, but when I get this particular one I have a lead on, I would frankly make it my daily driver.  Love those trucks- I wouldn't trade it for all the money in the world.

I've also got a lead on an old Kaiser M51A2 multifuel 5 ton dump.

I almost bought (and daily drove) a Kaiser M35A2 (the infamous "Deuce and a Half") as my first vehicle as a college freshman. 

The MV hobby has frankly been life-changing for me.  My first encounter with an MV was as about a 14 year old, living in rural southeast Alaska, in a small island community of sub 100 people, on an island, with no roads or cars.  It was an old Deuce modified into a propane truck, owned by a family friend who lived elsewhere but ran a fuel delivery business there.  I knew it was an old Army truck as a 12/13/14 year old, but that's all I knew.  The guy would start/run it, while filling propane tanks, and the classic 'Whistler' turbo had me baffled for the longest time...and many other people, ironically even people who were Veitnam vets!  Later, I heard it run and learned what it was.  Later, I got to ride in it.

Later, I learned what one actually was, and immediately wanted one.  Originally I wanted a Deuce just as a mud toy, but it was a slippery and steep slope to "Oh, what the heck, I'll make it my daily driver". 

I was 17 at the time that happened. 

Later, when I finally started running into other hobbyists, it changed my life- my first college roommate, when I was 18/19, was a fellow MV enthusiast.  Had bought an M923A1 as the first vehicle he ever bought with his own money, at about age 16 (!), and later a Deuce.  He daily drove the Deuce to high school for awhile, and worked the M923A1 over extensively.   There is a hilarious clip on YouTube of the local 6:00 news where he grew up, of him pulling semi's out of ditches with it- the anchor's mind is totally blown.  We met because of that truck, long story but it became the world's smallest small world story- we had the same birthday and everything. 

The hobby, the vehicles, and the people have arguably changed my life. 

I could tell you stories for hours...
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Who here likes military Vehicles or Artillery Pieces? « Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 09:07:55 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Deuce and a Halfs and 5-tons changed my life, influenced who I am as a person.

Eventually, I am hopefully picking up an original American General M923 5 ton 6x6.  I'm a broke college student right now, but when I get this particular one I have a lead on, I would frankly make it my daily driver.  Love those trucks- I wouldn't trade it for all the money in the world.

I've also got a lead on an old Kaiser M51A2 multifuel 5 ton dump.

I almost bought (and daily drove) a Kaiser M35A2 (the infamous "Deuce and a Half") as my first vehicle as a college freshman. 

The MV hobby has frankly been life-changing for me.  My first encounter with an MV was as about a 14 year old, living in rural southeast Alaska, in a small island community of sub 100 people, on an island, with no roads or cars.  It was an old Deuce modified into a propane truck, owned by a family friend who lived elsewhere but ran a fuel delivery business there.  I knew it was an old Army truck as a 12/13/14 year old, but that's all I knew.  The guy would start/run it, while filling propane tanks, and the classic 'Whistler' turbo had me baffled for the longest time...and many other people, ironically even people who were Veitnam vets!  Later, I heard it run and learned what it was.  Later, I got to ride in it.

Later, I learned what one actually was, and immediately wanted one.  Originally I wanted a Deuce just as a mud toy, but it was a slippery and steep slope to "Oh, what the heck, I'll make it my daily driver". 

I was 17 at the time that happened. 

Later, when I finally started running into other hobbyists, it changed my life- my first college roommate, when I was 18/19, was a fellow MV enthusiast.  Had bought an M923A1 as the first vehicle he ever bought with his own money, at about age 16 (!), and later a Deuce.  He daily drove the Deuce to high school for awhile, and worked the M923A1 over extensively.   There is a hilarious clip on YouTube of the local 6:00 news where he grew up, of him pulling semi's out of ditches with it- the anchor's mind is totally blown.  We met because of that truck, long story but it became the world's smallest small world story- we had the same birthday and everything. 

The hobby, the vehicles, and the people have arguably changed my life. 

I could tell you stories for hours...
I live near a military base... and alot of times those things are driving down Dickman road.. doing whatever military stuff they're up to... I have to say they are pretty neat and i would not be opposed to getting one someday.... I also like the old halftracks... I've always wanted one of those.. just not sure if they'd be road legal...

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies