Author Topic: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!!  (Read 9761 times)
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #30 on: January 07, 2018, 03:43:11 PM » Author: Lodge
Interesting on the SOX lamps & heat...
I have a 55w, and always have been afraid to touch it when on, because as bright as it is, it sure looks like it'd be burning hot!

I grab them to test the vacuum on the tube, it's a pretty rudimentary test, but the entire length of the tube should be about the same temp, warm to touch, and the area around the cathodes is warmer and so is the end of the lamp where there is no IR reflective coating, and if the entire length is crazy hot there is something wrong, and I normally let them stabilize for like 30 mins before doing this... 
TwirlyWhirly555

View Posts
View Gallery

So Far, So Good

twirlywirly555 70642719@N02
Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #31 on: January 07, 2018, 03:58:09 PM » Author: TwirlyWhirly555
Once you get one SOX .... You Will get more : P , Its hard not to ...

www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=topn&cat=11648&pos=2&pid=116848

https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/index.php?cat=11648

Self ballasted Mercury, SOX lamps, metal halide lamps, Halogen, Nixies, Numitrons, VFD

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #32 on: January 07, 2018, 04:39:59 PM » Author: Rommie

www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?album=topn&cat=11648&pos=2&pid=116848

You can't have too many SOX lamps  ;D

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Bubbler Tube

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #33 on: January 08, 2018, 04:45:38 AM » Author: Bubbler Tube

NICE Set You Have There!

What Would The REALLY Long One Be Used In?
Thank

I LOVE Bulbs, Be They The Light up Kind or the Ones That Grow...

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #34 on: January 08, 2018, 05:13:48 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
NICE Set You Have There!

What Would The REALLY Long One Be Used In?
Thank
Street lighting 8)

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Bubbler Tube

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #35 on: January 08, 2018, 05:28:23 AM » Author: Bubbler Tube
Street lighting 8)

So The Little's Were/In Street Lights As Well?
Sorry For Sounding Dumb But I'm Still Learning About Them and My Bulb, Might Just HAVE To Go Look For an 18W Now, The One I Have is 36w's....

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #36 on: January 08, 2018, 03:50:22 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
So The Little's Were/In Street Lights As Well?
Sorry For Sounding Dumb But I'm Still Learning About Them and My Bulb, Might Just HAVE To Go Look For an 18W Now, The One I Have is 36w's....
The small 18 watt ones could maybe be used for lighting side streets... but I'd imagine they'd be mostly used in residential type security lighting... Lodge has a few in service for that purpose.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 03:58:42 PM by HomeBrewLamps » Logged

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #37 on: January 08, 2018, 07:56:43 PM » Author: Rommie
The small 18 watt ones could maybe be used for lighting side streets... but I'd imagine they'd be mostly used in residential type security lighting... Lodge has a few in service for that purpose.
I think that security lighting was the main purpose of the 18W (and 10W) lamps.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #38 on: January 08, 2018, 08:04:26 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
They have a few 18W SOX street lights in Adelaide would you believe? I drove through Adelaide one day at dusk just as it fired up. :o
Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #39 on: January 08, 2018, 09:00:42 PM » Author: Lodge
I think that security lighting was the main purpose of the 18W (and 10W) lamps.

The 10 watt versions where also used in dark room safe lights made by AGFA as seen HERE and I also bulkheads for security GEC PATHLITE-10 Bulkhead and a NIGHTWATCH-10 (No pictures found)

The smaller tubes are also used in specialty optical flatness testing units to see if lens are and other items are perfectly flat by looking at the newton rings imperfectly flat optics will generate under monochromatic light Like this unit   (if you actually turn of an LCD monitor and turn on a low pressure sodium light behind you, you will see the newton rings and if you push on the screen gently you can see them move as you bend the glass slightly and you can see changes in the thousands of an inch.   

And the 35 watt versions are also used in Darkroom lighting the Cheeselight
Bubbler Tube

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #40 on: January 09, 2018, 02:22:35 AM » Author: Bubbler Tube
OK so IF I decide to get my bulb running what would I need?
I'm in England so is at 240v
Thanks

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #41 on: January 09, 2018, 03:06:06 AM » Author: Mercurylamps
I've heard of people using 2ft fluorescent ballasts with success for 18W SOX lamps, with a regular single tube starter in parallel to the lamp.
Bubbler Tube

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #42 on: January 09, 2018, 03:16:56 AM » Author: Bubbler Tube
I've heard of people using 2ft fluorescent ballasts with success for 18W SOX lamps, with a regular single tube starter in parallel to the lamp.

I'm Sorry You've Lost Me, Like I've Said I'm REALLY New At All of This....

Beta 5

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #43 on: January 09, 2018, 05:41:26 AM » Author: Beta 5
I'm Sorry You've Lost Me, Like I've Said I'm REALLY New At All of This....

Your lamp is a 36w SOX-E isn't it?
SOX-E (E means Economy) can be run on standard SOX gear or dedicated SOX-E gear.
So you can run your lamp on standard 55w SOX gear if you want (36w is the SOX-E version of 55w).
To light it, you need a gear set like this, or if you are unsure on wiring it up, it may be easier to get a complete used 55w SOX street light from ebay, like this, or these :)

Fluorescent Forever :lfl:

Bubbler Tube

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I Have The Lighting Bug BAD!!!! « Reply #44 on: January 09, 2018, 09:13:27 AM » Author: Bubbler Tube
Your lamp is a 36w SOX-E isn't it?
SOX-E (E means Economy) can be run on standard SOX gear or dedicated SOX-E gear.
So you can run your lamp on standard 55w SOX gear if you want (36w is the SOX-E version of 55w).
To light it, you need a gear set like this, or if you are unsure on wiring it up, it may be easier to get a complete used 55w SOX street light from ebay, like this, or these :)

OK Thank You, I'll Have a look into it and decide from there
:) :) :)

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies