Author Topic: Mercury Risks  (Read 1266 times)
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Mercury Risks « on: May 17, 2018, 01:03:32 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
So, a few questions regarding mercury in lamps,

1) If you happen to accidentally break a cold lamp, whether it be Mercury vapor, Fluorescent or whatever, will the Mercury be in vapor form and make the air dangerous? or would it be in some sort of solid form due to being cooled down?

2) Which lamp type would be considered the most dangerous in terms of mercury? I'd imagine it'd be mercury vapor lamps... But I might be wrong there...

3) How dangerous is mercury in it's vapor form versus other forms?

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury Risks « Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 04:40:39 AM » Author: Medved
So, a few questions regarding mercury in lamps,

1) If you happen to accidentally break a cold lamp, whether it be Mercury vapor, Fluorescent or whatever, will the Mercury be in vapor form and make the air dangerous? or would it be in some sort of solid form due to being cooled down?

The mercury will be worst case liquid. The pressure at room temperature is very low, plus the mercury gas is heavy, so the cloud wont be that dense will remain close around the spilled mercury.

2) Which lamp type would be considered the most dangerous in terms of mercury? I'd imagine it'd be mercury vapor lamps... But I might be wrong there...

MV and metal halide contain similar amount. The metal halide could be worse, when the mercury becomes a compound with some of the salts, because then it will become likely water soluble.

3) How dangerous is mercury in it's vapor form versus other forms?

Definitely the main toxic form is the vapor and/or its compounds. As a gas it gets quite readily absorbed by lungs, as a compound it could become water soluble, so more readily distributed...
So most dangerous are breakages of hot lamps, then the situation when the mercury gets stirred with the dust (it is then encouraged to evaporate more).
The safest is the amalgam form (in some fluorescents or some MH's), as it is solid, so small surface and strongly held together

The most questionable are the MHs: There you never know, in which form the mercury will be when spilled, if it is some dangerous water soluble compound, or rather safe amalgam. Better treat it as worse, so take precautions against entering the body (dust mask, gloves, washing hands after the cleanup, do the cleanup as quickly as safely possible, store the collected mess in a sealed container robust enough against damage from the sharp glass fragments).

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Mercury Risks « Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 04:42:47 AM » Author: dor123
It isn't necessary to do special actions in case of lamp containing mercury breakage. The amount of mercury in fluorescent and HID lamps, is very small, even compared to the amount of mercury that exists in tuna: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuna#Mercury_levels
All of the guidelines about cases of lamp breakage is a complete BS.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

RCM442
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

rcm442 UC1Q-wYhi9O-1q4ugOaOZ9dA rcm442
Re: Mercury Risks « Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 09:01:48 AM » Author: RCM442
Dor123 is right, the mercury contained in tuna is in it's salt form, which is far more toxic.

LEDs need to stop taking over everything
Administrator #4
Need help with something on the site? Let me know!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Mercury Risks « Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 02:51:58 PM » Author: Rommie
And I eat around 5 tins of tuna a week, no illness here.
No danger of me getting mercury poisoning from tuna, can't stand fish..! Fish should be swimming about in a river or the sea or somewhere. Never could stand to eat it, the smell puts me off for a start.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies