Author Topic: What features would make you buy an LED fixture  (Read 3035 times)
takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What features would make you buy an LED fixture « Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 01:33:15 PM » Author: takemorepills
Regarding municipal street lighting fixtures being "serviceable": NOPE. I work at a DOT. If it's not a photocell, the entire fixture is replaced. The LED driver/power supply seems servicable in most fixtures, but no one bothers. Whereas a HID fixture was either a BO Lamp or inop photocell, no one bothers servicing a LED fixture. My opinion? Flashing/strobing/dark street lights are most likely a failing/failed LED driver. If it were up to me, I'd at least try swapping the driver first, but my co-workers don't understand electricity....even though it's their job to work with it!
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: What features would make you buy an LED fixture « Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 02:01:22 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Thats interesting as thats not the practice where I am, UK street lighting crews here do replace drivers, and if they have to take a fixture down for a new one, the old one isn`t binned, rather it goes back to the depot to be re-fitted with whatever it needs.
I also do this with our LED yard lights at work, (yes I have new ones), but when one fails its swapped for the new one, but the old lantern doesn`t go into scrap.

Its easier to take it back to the workshop, strip it all down and then re-place the driver, (usually dead due to water ingress), and fix where the leak is, generally clean it up, then put it back on the spares shelf, (for use the next time one goes EOL).

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies