Author Topic: Opinion on using suntanning FL UV tubes?  (Read 1193 times)
Flurofan96

View Posts
View Gallery

Celebrating my 10th Anniversary on LG

Opinion on using suntanning FL UV tubes? « on: January 02, 2018, 08:24:18 PM » Author: Flurofan96
Hi everyone  :)

First of all I have never had a suntanning session in one of these so called sunbeds that you see in tanning salons or used a portable tanning lamp that you can get on Amazon or whatever. I am totally against going in one of these UV emitting sunbeds because I believe the tubes used to emit UVA and UVB also can emit UVC too!! Plus it more concentrated UV output

Lighting-Gallery member since June 2014

Mercurylamps

View Posts
View Gallery

240V 50Hz

Re: Opinion on using suntanning FL UV tubes? « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 08:38:07 PM » Author: Mercurylamps
The only good thing about suntanning lamps is spare parts from the fixtures themselves such as ballasts, starters etc since they can be reused in normal lights. I took one apart when I was much younger and kept the starters, wiring and holders. I also kept the countdown timer switch which was useful for projects at the time.
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Opinion on using suntanning FL UV tubes? « Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 09:06:53 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I'm actually curious what kindof lamps they use....  is it something like a germicidal lamp? or a BLB lamp? or what?? Never seen a tanning bed in person...

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Lodge

View Posts
View Gallery

18W Goldeye / 52W R&C LED front door lighting

Re: Opinion on using suntanning FL UV tubes? « Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 11:53:57 PM » Author: Lodge
When I was younger a friend had a huge unit with like 16 tubes in it, and we were outside having a fire, and the bugs where very annoying that night so we set it up on the other side of the yard about 100 feet away fired it up with the maximum the timer would allow, I think the thing attracted every single bug for mile, it was like a cloud of bugs around it, it worked better then a clear MV lamp, but there was no sun tanning just a bunch of kids poking sticks in the fire not being bothered by bugs, we should of built a high voltage screen and turned it into the largest bug zapper in town..   
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Opinion on using suntanning FL UV tubes? « Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 01:11:08 AM » Author: tolivac
When I looked up websites regarding the flourescent(tanning bed makers call these low pressure tan beds)and the Hi pressure beds-these have HID UV sources.By law the UVC radiation must be filtered-so only the UVB rays reach the user.UVA rays do not tan.UVB rays do.UVC is the germicidal band.I won't use these machines-essentually "skin cancer in a box"!!!Their light sources are interesting,though.The HID tanning booths have filters over their HID sources.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies